Stove for a 50 X 10 widebeam

routrax

Featured Posts

Hi all,

My friend has just got a smallish widebeam (50 X 10) and will be needing a stove, ideally one that can you can retro fit a back boiler to. This would probably be running 2 rads and hot water.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Why would anyone want to retro-fit a backboiler to a stove if they don't have the stove yet? Just buy a stove with a backboiler.

As far as the output of the stove start by using a stove size calculator. There are lots of them on different websites and it's a good idea to try a couple of different ones and see if you get similar results. I wouldn't think your friend needs more than a 6kW output stove.

http://www.stovesandfires.com/stove_size_calculation.asp

If I was choosing a stove I would go with a woodwarm fireview 6kw with 20,000btu backboiler but make sure the sprayfoam insulation had good coverage and thickness. Not cheap though at around £1300!

My 4.5kw woodwarm fireview with boiler has no trouble heating my 50ft trad narrowboat built in 1999 with sprayfoam insulation.

http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/

If your on a budget how about this cheap Arrow EB7 7kw to water which would be plenty but possibly need rather large rads as well as a rad in the room with stove. Thermostatic temperature control too. Only rear flue option but at least it's 4 inches.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stratford-Ecoboiler-7HE-Multifuel-Boiler-Stove-7kW-20-484BTUs-/301002689323?

Retrofitting a back boiler is great when the boiler springs a leak and can be replaced separately to the stove.

If you have a stove with a factory welded integral boiler once it springs a leak you have to get a new stove. Very few manufacturers make the boiler versions for central heating replaceable separately apart from clearview and woodwarm.

Jamescheers.gif .

Edited by canals are us?

Hi If you have a backboiler you will need a 8kw stove otherwise it wont do enough space heating where it sits.

I have friends with 6kw stove with a backboiler on a 60 x 10.5 widebeam and it provides plenty of space heating where it sits.

Edited by blackrose

I have friends with 6kw stove with a backboiler on a 60 x 10.5 widebeam and it provides plenty of space heating where it sits.

How big is that space? My friends space is 30 foot by 10 a smaller stove wouldnt have looked at heating it as over half the heat goes to a back boiler plus it is using gravity for the hot water and towel rail so if you bank it up to much it just boils the water in the back boiler. In my boat I have 8kw but it is pumped so I can open my stove right up but we must also remember that figure of 6kw is the max it will produce normally it will be far less when we are using wood or other lesser fuels. I think it is better to a bit of reserve

Peter

Hi

I have a 50 foot by 10ft 6 inch widebeam. I also have a 20kw multi fuel stove. We have no back boiler we dont need one we dont do cold on our boat. biggrin.png

Tim

Do you have a picture of your stove Tim? I want to see what a 20kW stove looks like on a boat!

gallery_14287_736_30678.jpggallery_14287_736_4463.jpg You can always get a stove with attitude.

That is quite a centrepiece!

How big is that space? My friends space is 30 foot by 10 a smaller stove wouldnt have looked at heating it as over half the heat goes to a back boiler plus it is using gravity for the hot water and towel rail so if you bank it up to much it just boils the water in the back boiler. In my boat I have 8kw but it is pumped so I can open my stove right up but we must also remember that figure of 6kw is the max it will produce normally it will be far less when we are using wood or other lesser fuels. I think it is better to a bit of reserve

Peter

I think it's at least 30 x 10ft too. There's at least one member of this forum on widebeam who only has 4.5kW Squirrel and he says it keeps the boat warm. It really depends on how well insulated the boat is, number and size of windows, number of vents, etc. Although it takes time to heat up a backboiler, once it's up to temperature I'm not sure I agree with you that it will make much difference to the output from the body of the stove. That's not my experience anyway. It also depends on the size of the backboiler. I guess if you're talking about a big backboiler you might be right.

Edited by blackrose

Do you have a picture of your stove Tim? I want to see what a 20kW stove looks like on a boat!

That is quite a centrepiece!

Hi mate

I dont and wouldnt even know how to put it on the site if I did, I am still a dinosaur with regards such matters. Dom of rugby boat sales has been aboard and he likened it to a Bessamer converter biggrin.png In fairness it isnt that big at all realy made in New Zealand from very good cast iron.

It stands 27 inches high with a fab hotplate for cooking on that measures 22 x 16 inches.

I suppose it would hold something like 10kg of fuel if I ever filled it maybe a tad more but like all these stoves it is very controlable and we have it ticking over most of the time.

Ive just googled it and there comes up a couple for some reason that have sold on Ebay in the past couple of years, also some photos of some. Its a " Masport Fatso "

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

It might be wise to go big say 8K plus, after all you can always brick out the grate with bricks to reduce heat output and fuel used. I use house bricks for this purpose in my small Boatman stove when the weathers mild but chilly like today. As the weather gradually gets colder I hook em out accordingly. If the weather suddenly turns mild again I replace them. All done without letting the fire out with poker, pry bar, paint scraper and shovel. I've never had trouble using ordinary Fletton house bricks as fire bricks, after all they're fired to a very high heat when made and any air pockets trapped in them would have blown em to bits then.

If you do go as big as 8kW I would recommend my Morso Panther. It's listed as 9kW on some websites.

Although it has a 6" diameter flue the best thing to do is reduce the flue to 4.5" and take it through the roof with the largest standard cast iron roof collar - I think it's 5"?

morso_panther_2130_med.jpg

Personally I still think 8kW is too big for your boat - sometimes I even think it's too big for mine. I can't light it until it's less than +12C outside otherwise it just gets too hot onboard, but it's great when it's subzero outside.

Edited by blackrose

• 2 years later...

Peter

Hi Peter,

Just wondering what make of stove and what size and type of back boiler it has ? I need to Do a similar thing with my 60x10 widebeam as the 5KW stove with 2Kw slab BB installed by manufacturer is woefully inadequate, even on full burn.

Regards

Andy

Hi Peter,

Just wondering what make of stove and what size and type of back boiler it has ? I need to Do a similar thing with my 60x10 widebeam as the 5KW stove with 2Kw slab BB installed by manufacturer is woefully inadequate, even on full burn.

Regards

Andy

I would have to see him to ask him what make he had. I had a tim sistems magic stove with a morso backboiler in it. I now have a rayburn royal solid fuel cooker with backboiler in it as I had a boat redesign as you do.