mooring dilemma

ping pong pome

Featured Posts

hello all,I have been lurking on here for a few years and have learned a lot from all of you.I want to buy a boat and if possible moor it close to where i live on a cart leisure mooring.I lost out on one last year as i was outbidded.(fair enough).Well through the local grapevine I heard that another mooring had been vacated and I was hoping that I would be able to bid for it.Unfortunately there is now another boat on the mooring.(someone who had been ccing locally for a while)and the mooring has not as yet appeared on the cart auction site.I am wondering if there is still a nod and wink thing going on.I don't want to upset anyone,the guy who is on it is really nice,but it does make me wonder if I will ever be able get a fair crack at one of those moorings and I might have to re evaluate and look further afield.So is the cart mooring policy open and honest or are some people able to i.e.give a drink to someone ?.My problem is that I am not 'canal wise'and don't want to upset people as i realise its hard enough living on a boat without people like me complaing to cart.any advise as how to proceed would be grateful.

Hope it;s ok if I don't mention the location

all advice as to how to proceed will be most welcome

thanks ,phil

thanks for that.Is it common practice for moorings to be sub let?would cart allow someone to take a mooring for maybe two years without it comming up for auction?

You would need to have a chat with them, I'm not sure if they are formally sub let, but I know of a couple of occasions where a boat has had to come off their mooring for some months (in one case its been a year) while work was carried out and another boat was moored there with the permit holders permission. Not sure that CRT were that happy but don't think they could do anything.

hello all,I have been lurking on here for a few years and have learned a lot from all of you.I want to buy a boat and if possible moor it close to where i live on a cart leisure mooring.I lost out on one last year as i was outbidded.(fair enough).Well through the local grapevine I heard that another mooring had been vacated and I was hoping that I would be able to bid for it.Unfortunately there is now another boat on the mooring.(someone who had been ccing locally for a while)and the mooring has not as yet appeared on the cart auction site.I am wondering if there is still a nod and wink thing going on.I don't want to upset anyone,the guy who is on it is really nice,but it does make me wonder if I will ever be able get a fair crack at one of those moorings and I might have to re evaluate and look further afield.So is the cart mooring policy open and honest or are some people able to i.e.give a drink to someone ?.My problem is that I am not 'canal wise'and don't want to upset people as i realise its hard enough living on a boat without people like me complaing to cart.any advise as how to proceed would be grateful.

thanks ,phil

You do seem to have a problem with spaces.

There's a long key on the bottom of the key board called a space bar, you can make spaces with it between sentences. Won't help with C&RT moorings though smile.png

You do seem to have a problem with spaces.

There's a long key on the bottom of the key board called a space bar, you can make spaces with it between sentences. Won't help with C&RT moorings though smile.png

I am seeing a space between every word written by the OP.

You need to get yer terminology sorted out. It's the 'Carriage Return' key that the OP needs to use a bit more...

MtB

thanks ,phil

There is a possibility that the boats is just squatting on the mooring and CRT may not be aware yet.

As Tuscan said he only real way you are going to find out just what is going on is to contact the moorings manager for the mooring - their contact details will be in the auction details for the mooring you lost out on.

Good luck,.

thanks for that.Is it common practice for moorings to be sub let?would cart allow someone to take a mooring for maybe two years without it comming up for auction?

Not that common, but I've done it with my moorings wardens blessing. I was away cruising for five months so my friend moored there. Also not all moorings are auctioned - some boats will be moved by CRT from elsewhere (like my next boat neighbour). Lots of boats in London were moved before the Olympics as the residential moorings in that part of town were closed, one of the reasons that barely any came up for auction for a few years.

Edited by Lady Muck

No, you can't sub let a CRT mooring but it is not unknown for folk who know a mooring has been vacated to use it until a new tenant has been found. This is probably what's happened here. Some years ago a dirty great 14' widebeam CCer appeared on the mooring next to us, on which the tenant had given notice. They claimed to have come to "an arrangement" with the tenant which I discovered was totally untrue, and when I confronted them their attitude was "well what are you going to do about it?" Suffice to say they left the following morning.

To be honest though, certainly in the Northern part of the network marina moorings are getting close to CRT moorings price wise and considering the advantages I wouldn't even consider a towpath mooring these days.

Don't mention the paragraphs. wink.png

Ping, hope I can call you that, the best thing you can do is give C&RT a call and say you are looking for a mooring in the area you wish to keep your boat.

Do they have any?

Or, likewise with the nearest marina.

There could be a number of quite legitimate scenarios where someone has use of the vacated mooring with CRT consent, and it is possible that is the case.

To try and guess why that might be in any particular case would be pointless, but certainly it happens sometimes where ill health in involved. That doesn't necessarily have to be the health of someone on the boat - they may need to be near where (say) a relative is needing their support.

Equally, of course, it is possible they don't have CRT permission, but it would be wrong to assume that.

I think the days where you got moorings permanently by some kind of skulduggery with those who allocate them passed many years ago, although there is little doubt it once happened in the very distant pat.

thanks all for the advice.(space)I'll just keep an eye on that mooring on the cart auction site and hope that i get lucky. Otherwise will have to get one a bit further away. Mooring first, then boat!

ta, phil.

ps;the last time I was outbid,the guy who had the mooring ended up outbidding me for his own mooring back.So you can see why it gets a bit confusing if you are new to it all.

ps;the last time I was outbid,the guy who had the mooring ended up outbidding me for his own mooring back.So you can see why it gets a bit confusing if you are new to it all.

I'm not sure I understand that.

Once you have one of their moorings then CRT should always offer you a renewal on it at the current "book" price, even if it was originally acquired as a three year contract through an auction.

The only way anybody should be bidding in auction on a mooring they previously held, is if they deliberately decided to give it up before a contract ended, or not take the option of continuing when offered when a contract did end.

Something odd going on here, I think!

I'm not sure I understand that.

Once you have one of their moorings then CRT should always offer you a renewal on it at the current "book" price, even if it was originally acquired as a three year contract through an auction.

The only way anybody should be bidding in auction on a mooring they previously held, is if they deliberately decided to give it up before a contract ended, or not take the option of continuing when offered when a contract did end.

Something odd going on here, I think!

But the current book price is the Guide Price for the auction. If no-one else bids, it is possible to win the auction with a bid at the Reserve Price, which may be considerably lower. Perhaps our punter was hoping to undercut the CRT Guide Price, but found himself in a competitive auction instead.

I, had been "letching"after one of the moorings and knew all the boats on it.Saw one of the boats for sale on brokerage and thought here we go!The boat moved off the mooring up the cut and the mooring went to auction.Next thing I lose the auction and the boat is back on it's plot.I bumped the price up a fair bit, so there is someone there who wished i didn't exist.The next opportunity for me to try to aquire another mooring on the site has been discussed.

I, had been "letching"after one of the moorings and knew all the boats on it.Saw one of the boats for sale on brokerage and thought here we go!The boat moved off the mooring up the cut and the mooring went to auction.Next thing I lose the auction and the boat is back on it's plot.I bumped the price up a fair bit, so there is someone there who wished i didn't exist.The next opportunity for me to try to aquire another mooring on the site has been discussed.

Unfortunately that's why the auction system as opposed to the old waiting list is unfair.

Edited by Tuscan

But the current book price is the Guide Price for the auction. If no-one else bids, it is possible to win the auction with a bid at the Reserve Price, which may be considerably lower. Perhaps our punter was hoping to undercut the CRT Guide Price, but found himself in a competitive auction instead.

Once upon a time you could significantly undercut guide prices, but with a few exceptions lately for some time they have been setting "reserve" at 90% of "guide", so the saving is never that great.

What may not be apparent to a newcomer, as well, is that the price you bid in an auction is the price you actually pay - no discounts can be claimed on top. But when a three year contract ends, and you are offered standard terms, although that will be at current "guide", you also have the option of paying year in advance, (assuming you can afford it!),which attracts a 10% discount.

Anyone paying "year in advance" on a standard annual contract is therefore paying the same as someone who has just won an auction on an identical mooring at "reserve", assuming that is set at the usual 90%.

Of course the one advantage an auction gives is the price is fixed for three years without the annual increases. For a standard contract you can realistically expect to see the price go up most years.

Unfortunately that's why the auction system as opposed to the old waiting list is unfair.

Its barmy.

We were beaten on sixty foot at our current site and whoever won it paid around the guide.

We then bid on a seventy foot and got it at reserve, which was still well below what the other guy won the shorter mooring for.