Poorly engine

Dottyshirl

Featured Posts

I think you should change your boat name. It's upsetting your engine.

I suspect gurls don't really like being called a bitch, but willing to be corrected on that!

MtB

I bet there has been a few endearing choices of words floating about the last wk or so,in connection with the eng / boat dis harmony.

It's a nice touch though,naming your boat after the pet dog !.

Is it a Irish Red Setter ! (He he)

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Ha ha ok I get it !

And just as I changed her name the engine burst into life .... again .... Hope it's for more than a hour, I'm getting cramp having everything crossed this long parrffffff

Oh and thank you to the kind person/s who re-tied our boat while we were away xxxxxx

Edited by Dottyshirl

Oh dear, engine very poorly, recommendation is that it to be replaced, there has been a leaking rad cap and the belt that helps cool the engine has been slipping, apparently it now has a knock as it has been overheating in the past (before we bought it). My hubby is prepared to replace the engine rather than have it worked on, he says he was expecting it and the price we paid covers the cost....

Oh no, not what you wanted to hear.

Can the boat stay where you are ok. until you can sort something,,

I recon I know what your Xmas pressi is to eachother this year.

Put a shout out on here (for sale /wanted) for what you need,you never know.

Otherwise as Grace & Favour says,rebuild. !.

It's a Barrus engine

Barrus ,most probably a Yanmar, a shame excellent engines generally. Is the mechanic certain that it IS a mechanical wear knock and not just a heavy ignition knock probably caused by a faulty dribbling injector or injection timing.

Edited by bizzard

As I have discovered this year, the base engine (a "short engine") being a generic type as fitted to industrial plant and so on is usually not thyat expensive. It's all the other bits - some of which are small - that ramp the cost up.

Soo, if possible get a base engine and pay for someone to bolt your existing bits back on.

For example:-

• Gearbox
  • Gearbox adaptor
  • modified flywheel
  • (new drive plate)
  • water cooled manifold
  • engine feet / rails
  • pipe adaptors
  • alternator(s)
  • gauge sensors
  • etc, etc.

Yes OldGoat that is what we intend doing. We trust our mechanic and it is our decision to go this way. Just glad it is not the start of spring/summer ....

Excellent!!

Please be aware that the replacement block is not significantly different from the old, or at least know what the differences are.

Mine was the same model number, but several seemingly minor changes had been made over the years making a straight swap impossible - so I had to go for a less green version.

in the end it was all sorted very satisfactorily.

Semi final decision is we take our mechanics advice as to wether we are able to fit our bits and bobs onto a new engine or we repair the old one ......... and they say women change their minds all the time ha ha, seriously we need more insight of the exact engine state before the final decision is made, thanks for all your advice and input x

Edited by Dottyshirl

If it's making a knocking after overheating is it a big fix? If it was an oil shortage problem the OK the crank, big ends, small ends, cam gear and lots of other bits could be well knackered, but a water shortage overheat you may get away with a rebore and some new pistons I can't see any reason why too much else should be damaged. I'd look into what bits are damaged before I went out and got a new engine, unless you replace like for like you may need a new gearbox, engine bearers and all kind of other stuff. Someone on here must know who'll do a rebuild and a rough idea of cost.

K

• Greenie 1

Second mechanic says the engine is very poor and not worth it to spend money on it. I think we should just cruise really steady and limp home with the old girl, I'm the captain lol. We have now got electrical problems, found the water pump will not switch off and drains the batteries, but that can be easily sorted. Just spent three rough but thoroughly enjoyable days onboard missing me boat already boo hoo

On the next portion of our trip up t north, we have to pass a weir but I think if we go ahead with a cold engine we will be ok. On the TnM just passed Shobnall