Poorly engine

Dottyshirl

Featured Posts

Might be a knackered exhaust filter. I had that once. Epic amount of black smoke caused i think by it getting blocked. Anyhoo it was a relatively quick fix by the mechanic guy.

Exhaust filter? I've never heard of such a thing. What engine do you have?

MtB

". The engine us a Barrus. " said in message 15 As someone who has now changed my oil in the bmc 1.5 in our boat I read these post to learn so will not comment but little oil shown on the dipstick is not particularly positive I would say. Where did it go, then again I check oil levels every morning before starting off along with checking the stern leakage after a days crushing, IIRC Tony Brooke's recommends 1 small drip every minute. Great excuse for a cold beer whilst watching the prop for 5 minutes, sounds good to me.

No but being a lady I did not drive into him and he left me no room ! Bless him. The engine us a Barrus. When I say no engine cover I do not mean an engine part, it is the cover over the engine. Listen.... I am sorry if my ignorance is misleading you, I am trying my best x

I may be a novice but I am not an idiot, I know what he did, had I kept a safe course we would gave collided as he kept to the centre of the waterway.... Enough energy spent on you lol

Thanks you positive people xxxx

Going back to the "forced you aground" comment...

Have you considered the possibility that what actually happened here is that (as a novice) you aren't actually familiar with the correct way to pass an oncoming boat in a narrow, shallow channel.

Not being familiar with it doesn't make you an idiot, simply a novice. Knowing it doesn't mean that the other boater was wrong or forced you aground. it simply means that your lack of experience meant that you got it wrong.

Many novices make the mistake, when meeting a boat coming the other way of pulling towards their side FAR too early, and then attempting to maintain a straight course along one side of the canal and expecting the other boater to do likewise.

In a narrow, shallow channel, it won't work! You will probably run aground, and as you pass, you will probably impact with the other boat.

Instead, you should keep to the centre of the channel (possibly up to 18" to your side, but no more) heading nose to nose, until as late as possible.

At the last minute, BOTH boats should steer for their own side. As you come bow to miships with each other, both boats start to steer back towards the centre, and the two boats "dance" around each other.

As your sterns pass, you reverse the steering again to return to centre channel.

Going back to the "forced you aground" comment...

Have you considered the possibility that what actually happened here is that (as a novice) you aren't actually familiar with the correct way to pass an oncoming boat in a narrow, shallow channel.

Not being familiar with it doesn't make you an idiot, simply a novice. Knowing it doesn't mean that the other boater was wrong or forced you aground. it simply means that your lack of experience meant that you got it wrong.

Many novices make the mistake, when meeting a boat coming the other way of pulling towards their side FAR too early, and then attempting to maintain a straight course along one side of the canal and expecting the other boater to do likewise.

In a narrow, shallow channel, it won't work! You will probably run aground, and as you pass, you will probably impact with the other boat.

Instead, you should keep to the centre of the channel (possibly up to 18" to your side, but no more) heading nose to nose, until as late as possible.

At the last minute, BOTH boats should steer for their own side. As you come bow to miships with each other, both boats start to steer back towards the centre, and the two boats "dance" around each other.

As your sterns pass, you reverse the steering again to return to centre channel.

I don't do that any more unless I know the oncoming boat precisely because I'm fed up with being castigated by people who don't know the "dance"

FFS lol xxxxx yes! maybe! whatever! Absolutely ! Your right I probably did f*ck up, should we let it go now. I do..... no ... I did not have the confidence to go head to head with another boat until the last minute. I am learning, learning lots, about cruising, about forums, loads of stuff. Love you guys. Should have a mechanic looking at the old tub soon yay

Edited by Dottyshirl

I don't do that any more unless I know the oncoming boat precisely because I'm fed up with being castigated by people who don't know the "dance"

As soon as I see a boat coming towards me I nudge to the right a bit just to let them know I am going to.

Exhaust filter? I've never heard of such a thing. What engine do you have?

MtB

I think they mean air filter which could cause clouds of black exhaust smoke if blocked.

They could also mean a modern vehicle's exhaust particulate trap but not one any of our boats - YET!

I think they mean air filter which could cause clouds of black exhaust smoke if blocked.

They could also mean a modern vehicle's exhaust particulate trap but not one any of our boats - YET!

That's what I do. The last time I tried the dance the oncoming boat seemed to panic and whether they forgot or not which way to move the tiller I don't know but they turned to port into me head on to which I had no option but to go instantly 'Hard 'a' port me hearty's' to pass them by a whisker on the wrong side, or I'd would probably have been rammed almost broadside into the bank.

I would never do the close up dance unless I knew for certain which boat it was and who was steering it.

And indeed the idiot that tried to go head to head with Dottyshirl's boat which was probably unknown to him, well he was the idiot in my opinion.

ETA Sorry Tony this reply was meant for Ditchcrawler. Don't know what happened there.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

I must say, I was wondering if the boat that ran Dotty aground was a deep-draughted historic boat that had no choice but to stick to the channel... and it was all a misunderstanding.

But I wasn't there so who knows!

MtB

ETA 'bizzyboo'?? lol! Yay bizzy you have a new nickname clapping.gif

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Ah, you could be right, as surprisingly, there is a particulate trap incorporated into the exhaust of my Kelvin K1 *.

MtB

*Just kiddin'!

Hope you get things all sorted out soon :)

what I tend to do when approaching another boat when chugging along, is to try and check waht type it is ie. old working /deep drafted boat , ectera.

plus being a nosy trout i watch their body language. If they seem calm extera ( and you can tell lol) then I tend to just carrry on towards them and do the dance at the last minute. If once they see me ( steady folks!!!) my boat lol... and they start swaying from side to side with a look of 'ohh!! eck' , then I turn into one of those dancing traffic wardens from hotter climates... I will gesture and do sign language to let them know which side i am passing as not everyone on the cut is aware of or infact uses the horn signals.

I only ever had ( fingers and eyes crossed ) so far a grotbag .. come up behind me on my maiden voyage like a bat out of hell , forcing me to use evasive action to stop me getting 'banked' grrr.... but this person I found out later had done the same thing to another lone boater, later on further up the canal and was reported :)

Sometimes things work out ok and soemtimes they dont, bestest thing is to be always aware and like when you are out driving your car, just assume that everyone else is from another planet lol and try to be perseptive to what they may or may not do. :)

That's what I do. The last time I tried the dance the oncoming boat seemed to panic and whether they forgot or not which way to move the tiller I don't know but they turned to port into me head on to which I had no option but to go instantly 'Hard 'a' port me hearty's' to pass them by a whisker on the wrong side, or I'd would probably have been rammed almost broadside into the bank.

I would never do the close up dance unless I knew for certain which boat it was and who was steering it.

And indeed the idiot that tried to go head to head with Dottyshirl's boat which was probably unknown to him, well he was the idiot in my opinion.

The whole point of the dance is that in many places up here, it is the only way that you will pass an oncoming boat without one or both of you ending up aground.

So, in such a situation, the more experienced boater has two choices;

1) Steer right too soon, and run myself aground (or find that as we come bow to bow, we get pulled in towards each other and bump)

2) Do the dance, and hope that the other party does too.

"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation" : Voltaire - which explains why we are in such a mess, especially with our tram system!!

Voltaire didn't say they were all good ideas ... cheers.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yOqU4-zE5w

Iain

P.S. Didn't know Finnish trams were in a messninja.gif

Edited by Iain_S