Ripon Canal - Head of Navigation

Doorman

Featured Posts

We have recently returned from a trip by car into Yorkshire and in particular the town of Ripon, to see our daughter and her new husband where they now live. As usual when boaters venture into pastures new by car, we found the nearest canal which as you'd imagine, is the Ripon Canal.

As we'd like to make another visit in the new year, but this time by proper means, we need to know first if anyone with a 60' narrowboat has ever managed to reach the head of navigation at Ripon Basin. A trip boat owner advised that there is a 58' broad beam lock further back along the canal but suggested that we could negotiate that by going in on the diagonal.

Has anyone succeeded in managing this?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

We have recently returned from a trip by car into Yorkshire and in particular the town of Ripon, to see our daughter and her new husband where they now live. As usual when boaters venture into pastures new by car, we found the nearest canal which as you'd imagine, is the Ripon Canal.

As we'd like to make another visit in the new year, but this time by proper means, we need to know first if anyone with a 60' narrowboat has ever managed to reach the head of navigation at Ripon Basin. A trip boat owner advised that there is a 58' broad beam lock further back along the canal but suggested that we could negotiate that by going in on the diagonal.

Has anyone succeeded in managing this?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I think John (Cotswoldsman) has done this and IIRC his boat is a 60ft (Narrowbeam)

We have yet to but intend trying to at some point (our boat is 60ft too)

PS it's a lovely canal by the way though up to now I have only walked it.

Plus previous thread here

and confirmation John did do it here

Edited by The Dog House

I think John (Cotswoldsman) has done this and IIRC his boat is a 60ft (Narrowbeam)

We have yet to but intend trying to at some point (our boat is 60ft too)

PS it's a lovely canal by the way though up to now I have only walked it.

Plus previous thread here

and confirmation John did do it here

Cheers Folks and in particular Martin for the links.

I've read them to Mrs Doorman for reassurance as since she was hung in a lock on the Trent & Mersey she's very cautious, whereas I'm up for anything if I get good advice like this.

We will now make plans to visit our daughter and her husband, not to mention our grandson in the new year. Having spent just a week in Yorkshire recently, it reminded me of how beautiful a county it is with so much to do and see. The people are so friendly too! We even came home with an extra crew member in the form of a kitten. Calling at a farm based ice cream parlour we noticed that they had kittens free to a good home. As we were already preparing to offer a rescue cat a position on board, we couldn't turn up such an offer.

After returning home to the boat on Saturday following a three hour journey car journey, soft lad here thought that it would be a good idea to let the young kitten out (on a special harness) for a bit of fresh air. Wrong! The little sod slipped the harness and disappeared onto the farmer's field adjacent to our mooring. It's only after tempting her back towards the boat with some food, did I manage to make a trap from her pet carrier. It was like something you'd see on the old Yankee TV programme 'Grizzly Adams'.

Safe back on board now and trying to acclimatise her with Paddy the lab. Those who already have a cat on board will know who will be taking over as the captain in future and it certainly won't be me or Mrs D.

I wonder if they may have been doing something a bit odd then. My boat is just under 61 feet and I had no trouble going up or down last summer. I can't remember for sure but one lock seemed a bit tight going down and I may have had to leave one gate closed and push the bow over.

May we have gratuitous kitten pics please.

Kitten pics will be arriving as soon as this old nerd can work out how to load them from an IPad to the forum..........help please!

She became a 'he' following today's visit to the vets.

Charlie's me boy. :-)

Kitten pics will be arriving as soon as this old nerd can work out how to load them from an IPad to the forum..........help please!

She became a 'he' following today's visit to the vets.

Charlie's me boy. :-)

Probably the quickest way is-

Upload the image(s) from your iPad to Imgr using the imgr app available from the itunes app store. (you will need to register if not already an imgr user)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imgurapp/id501416446?mt=8

You will then be able to post the images in here using the insert image button on the tool bar and pasting in the url of the image.

We met a 60' boat having to come down some of the Ripon locks backwards.

Richard

Maybe they didn't go right up to the basin to turn. Turning points on the canal are at the entrance of Ripon Motor Boat Club (not sure whether they are happy about boats turning there), entrance to Ripon Racecourse Marina (ditto), at the BW utility block just before the short tunnel/(long bridge) under the roundabout and at the Canal Basin terminal.

Having spent many years at Ripon helping many boats up the final two locks you will be able to achieve your aim with a bit of care.

The only boat I saw that failed to get into Rhodes Field lock (the last one) was Jim McDonald's Elizabeth but even at 62ft it was a close run thing. You may need to reverse down into Westwick but one of my colleagues, still at Ripon negotiates it OK at 59ft.

Well worth the trip.We had no trouble but are only 50ft. One problem we found. At Linton lock, there are overnight moorings belonging to the pub. (there is a charge) The water levels were not particularly high,but the jetty was under water.We had to moor three abrest on the lock pontoon.Not sure what else you can do. Conversly,I suppose it would be easy to moor to the concrete jetty and find yourself sitting on the concrete in the morning.Dont know if this is an issue normaly? We did enquire about a plaque to show that you have reached the head of navigation. They are no longer available,but a certificate was available from the tourist office.

We did enquire about a plaque to show that you have reached the head of navigation. They are no longer available,but a certificate was available from the tourist office.

As Rippon is a possibility for our 2014 trip I had a look at the Tourist information web site. They claim that Rippon is the northern most point of the English canal system but they are wrong. Tewitfield is further north if you check the NGR as supplied by Canalplan (via "direction of TV transmitter" link).

Dave

As Rippon is a possibility for our 2014 trip I had a look at the Tourist information web site. They claim that Rippon is the northern most point of the English canal system but they are wrong. Tewitfield is further north if you check the NGR as supplied by Canalplan (via "direction of TV transmitter" link).

Dave

There is actually very little in it but yes Tewitfield is very slightly further North at 54.1560° N, Ripon being 54.1380° N (Almost identical)

Ripon can still lay claim however to the Northern most working lock currently on the connected system as the locks at Tewitfield are of course derelict.

Rhodes Field Lock Ripon (the boat in that picture I took was marked as being from London so they had come just about as far as they could!)

DSC_0367.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

The Dog House, on 15 Oct 2013 - 3:42 PM, said:

Probably the quickest way is-

Upload the image(s) from your iPad to Imgr using the imgr app available from the itunes app store. (you will need to register if not already an imgr user)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imgurapp/id501416446?mt=8

You will then be able to post the images in here using the insert image button on the tool bar and pasting in the url of the image.

Thanks for the link again Martin and maybe you can help further. All kitten pics are on the iPad (big mistake) and since reading your guidance regarding uploading photo's, Mrs Doorman has coveted the iPad relentlessly.

How do I get it back off her?

Thanks for the link again Martin and maybe you can help further. All kitten pics are on the iPad (big mistake) and since reading your guidance regarding uploading photo's, Mrs Doorman has coveted the iPad relentlessly.

How do I get it back off her?

Sadly I do't think there is an app. for that.....

nebulae, on 15 Oct 2013 - 8:42 PM, said:nebulae, on 15 Oct 2013 - 8:42 PM, said:

We did enquire about a plaque to show that you have reached the head of navigation. They are no longer available,but a certificate was available from the tourist office.

The chap who runs the trip boats at Ripon Basin has a supply of metal plaques available. He shares an office based within the basin with a local architect. When we asked about the probability of getting our 60' narrow boat up to the basin, he was very helpful but seemed happier to discuss the benefits of the Liverpool Link. It must have been my 'Cheshire Set' accent that led him to believe that I'd know about the Salthouse Dock and all it has to offer!

Sent from my PC mad.gif

The Dog House, on 16 Oct 2013 - 1:14 PM, said:The Dog House, on 16 Oct 2013 - 1:14 PM, said:

Sadly I do't think there is an app. for that.....

Can you send me a link for a baseball bat then?

My other idea is to place a 'Free Strongbow Cider Tomorrow!' sign outside our local, in the hope that she'll camp out there every day believing that each day is 'tomorrow'.

Edited by Doorman

Although not our two crew members, whilst waiting for a crow bar to prise the iPad from the galley maid, i've posted a couple of humorous photo's to keep anyone who might be interested happy. The first one is an uncanny resemblance of our two occupants.

zxld0k.jpg

This one is a photo of what's to come for the poor dog.

nqa5xu.jpg

And this one is of our two pets on the first day of them being introduced (stolen from Mrs D's Facebuck page).

We've always known that Paddy the lab has a terrific temperament, but he has certainly astounded us with his acceptance of someone who's destined to be his superior!

mv2dkj.jpg

Edited by Doorman
  • Greenie 1

Dave

Why use the TV transmitter link? All canalplan locations show their lat and long...

Steve

Why use the TV transmitter link? All canalplan locations show their lat and long...

Steve

You are quite right of course Steve - it also shows the NGR - but not something I have used before. On the other hand I have used the TV transmitter link on occassions!

Dave