Wardle Lock Cottage, Middlewich

Wardle Lock Cottage

Featured Posts

A quick update on Wardle Lock Cottage,Middlewich:

We have moved from Sheffield and are now living in Middlewich, just down to road from the cottage.

Listed Building Consent has been granted for the alterations we are making and I am now there most days working on the cottage. However it will still be a long process to complete the renovations to the cottage to enable it to be a comfortable home for a 21st century family.

We have mentally given ourselves a year to get it to a stage that we can move into it

Any questions,or comments,please feel free to reply here.

Thanks

A quick update on Wardle Lock Cottage,Middlewich:

We have moved from Sheffield and are now living in Middlewich, just down to road from the cottage.

Listed Building Consent has been granted for the alterations we are making and I am now there most days working on the cottage. However it will still be a long process to complete the renovations to the cottage to enable it to be a comfortable home for a 21st century family.

We have mentally given ourselves a year to get it to a stage that we can move into it

Any questions,or comments,please feel free to reply here.

Thanks

Hi

I like the word renovation. Please dont spoil it and make it all twee and modern looking. there are far too many supposed renovations that just modernise and ruin the character of a lovely old building. Modern is not good. And pleeeeeese dont put orrible modern windows in it. A reasonable joiner will be able to make you some proper windows out of wood no problem, Ive had it done myself when I removed some orrible upvc double glazed units in one house.

You did ask biggrin.png

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

Hi

I like the word renovation. Please dont spoil it and make it all twee and modern looking. there are far too many supposed renovations that just modernise and ruin the character of a lovely old building. Modern is not good. And pleeeeeese dont put orrible modern windows in it. A reasonable joiner will be able to make you some proper windows out of wood no problem, Ive had it done myself when I removed some orrible upvc double glazed units in one house.

You did ask :D

Tim

I agree 100% with Tim on the windows. I had mine renovated (woodwork, ropes, weights etc) by Ventrolla (I have no relationship with them) and apart from one minor issue with a screw they are as they were and almost leak free from air gaps but of course renovated. I did have secondary glazing installed which is very difficult to see from outside and can be removed completely in the warmer months.

It is good to hear the cottage is going to be restored.

I wish you all the very best with the project and look forward to seeing updates on here if you get a chance to share them with us.

I will admit to having snipped a little bit of the "London Pride" plant that was growing across the footpath to the side of the cottage when we passed in the summer. It has rooted and is happy in my garden - daft I know but that little bit of plant has got a historical significance to me.

A lady who lives on her boat gave me some potting compost and a pot to get it started a couple of days later on our trip and she understood how relevant my little bit of cutting was too. I suspect if you mutiply that feeling by the number of bits of that cottage that canal users feel are "relevant" or "significant" you will start to understand how many people are pleased it is going to be restored and used again as a family home but are holding their breath hoping it is done in a sympathetic way .

Are we talking about sliding sash windows? They are really not as hard to make as you might think, I did three sets for my sons Victorian terraced house and double glazed the sashes, ideally you also need lead for the weights as they are heavier with d.g. but they are not too hard to cast.

I suspect if you mutiply that feeling by the number of bits of that cottage that canal users feel are "relevant" or "significant" you will start to understand how many people are pleased it is going to be restored.

[quote

....and start to understand why there are no blasted plants left in your garden.cheers.gif

....and start to understand why there are no blasted plants left in your garden.cheers.gif

The bit I snipped was chosen very deliberatly because it was overgrowing the path.

I was soreley tempted to take a plant that was in a plastic pot that had been smashed - but that would have been stealing. Rockery plants like Londons Pride have always been divided up and bits handed to friends or sold to raise money. snipping a few ends off did not harm the plant in any way

But I know you had your tongue in your cheek when you posted :)

it's great to hear you are starting work on it again, i took a few photo's of the inside earlier in the year as we passed :P i do hope you keep the outside as original as possible, but it's your house and whatever you do i'm sure it will still look lovely.

• 2 years later...

it's great to hear you are starting work on it again, i took a few photo's of the inside earlier in the year as we passed tongue.png i do hope you keep the outside as original as possible, but it's your house and whatever you do i'm sure it will still look lovely.

Interesting. My wife walked past a couple of days ago and remarked that apart from a bare bulb lit in one of the rooms, it looked a long way off being lived in.

Just to update this thread I understand that the cottage is now occupied again. Co-incidentally one of the first boats through after the family moved in was Spey which Maureen used to work.

Great news for the house, and what a cracking way to be welcomed.

Daniel

Interesting. My wife walked past a couple of days ago and remarked that apart from a bare bulb lit in one of the rooms, it looked a long way off being lived in.

sorry but did i say it was ready to be lived in? alot of work had been done inside but it still looked like a builders yard.

sorry but did i say it was ready to be lived in? alot of work had been done inside but it still looked like a builders yard.

Sorry GG - I meant to quote the one after, i.e. : "Just to update this thread I understand that the cottage is now occupied again."

Not, of course, your 2013 comment.

We did look at the property when it was put on the market, but decided there was far to much work needed to make it 21st century habitable. Thus we have followed the progress of the restoration with interest. I can only admire the people who have taken on the project and wish them all the best in bringing Maureen's old home back to life.

Sorry GG - I meant to quote the one after, i.e. : "Just to update this thread I understand that the cottage is now occupied again."

Not, of course, your 2013 comment.

We did look at the property when it was put on the market, but decided there was far to much work needed to make it 21st century habitable. Thus we have followed the progress of the restoration with interest. I can only admire the people who have taken on the project and wish them all the best in bringing Maureen's old home back to life.

ahh no worries lol, it has progressed since then tho, there were less bricks in the front room last year :lol: