nice secure marina chester area

sooty

Featured Posts

Good evening,

Can anyone suggest good secure marina moorings say within 20mile of chester.

Taking a relation around tomorrow to look at some for a 57' narrowboat. Intends to occupy boat for 6 month periods.

Have Chirk in mind to look at, and seems plenty around Nantwich but I am not familiar with these.

All suggestions welcome

Thanks Steve

Good evening,

Can anyone suggest good secure marina moorings say within 20mile of chester.

Taking a relation around tomorrow to look at some for a 57' narrowboat. Intends to occupy boat for 6 month periods.

Have Chirk in mind to look at, and seems plenty around Nantwich but I am not familiar with these.

All suggestions welcome

Thanks Steve

Tattenhall Marina?

Howard

I called in at Tattenhall last weekend for some diesel and water. It is a lovely setting with Beeston Castle and the Peckforton Hills as a backdrop. It is not too big either and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

But if I was going to keep my boat in a marina in that area I would choose Aqueduct at Church Minshull because of its location at the centre of the H formed by Shroppie, T&M and Middlewich Branch.

I suppose it depends how often you want to escape and whether you want a variety of destinations without retracing your steps all the time.

I can heartily recommend Venetian Marina at Cholmondeston. It has just been completely refurbished and now has lovely facilities and all new pontoons. It is very secure, I have just spent six months moored there. And the staff are friendly and helpful. Handy for Chester, Nantwich and Middlewich.

Been on Aqueduct marina for a few years it was ok but you can feel like you are in a goldfish bowl as people who visit the café sometimes walk down the jetties and look into your boat, and you are crammed in like most modern marina's.

The best marina i have been on by far is Overwater marina as it is very close to the lovely village of Audlem which always has something going on. The main thing i like is you have the option to have 1 boat on a jetty and share which is very crammed in or you can have a couple of boats sharing a jetty with a boats width between the boat on the oppostie jetty, this is definatly the best option for us as you can at least see some light in through the window and see whats going on! You still have easy access to the LLangollen, Middlewich branch and up the shroppie north or south. Also you tend to not get people wandering down your jetties unless they are looking for a mooring! It all depends on what you are looking for from a marina.

Best Regards,

James Postletwaite

• 1 month later...

Although I would agree with the statement by Journeyman that Tattenhall Marina is set in "a lovely setting with Beeston Castle and the Peckforton Hills as a backdrop", and it also has the ice cream farm for the kids. You're theoretically in the middle of nowhere without a car!!! However, the village is five minutes away by car and has a shop, post office, chemist, doctors, butchers and plenty of eaterey's/pubs. You are on a bus route into Chester, I think they run every hour, but as I never used them I can't comment!

The problem with Tattenhall Marina, is not the setting but the lack of security. The gate to get into the marina, does have secure keypad activation and there are signs stating that all visitors must report to the office - (you can report to the marina, workshop or brokerage) using the secure keypad), but as the gate is broken more often than not and left in the up position, some moorers state, that people coming in do not contact anybody.. There is also a footpath leading to the canal at one edge of the marina, which is open to the general public, and the only way in is through the gate at the bottom of the Ice Cream Farm. As there is not a second gate after the railway bridge most people walk in, look around, have a picnic using the benches provided for boaters use, before continuing their walk or going home.

Yes, all jetties are lit by bollard lighting but the paths and carpark are not well lit. The lights are spaced to far apart. Asking for lighting on a censor, which would come on and off if someone walked in, has been discussed but some people do not want this as it would annoy boaters, especially late at night. It does have live CCTV but only in the office and you cannot see anything at night as the cameras have no infrared censor. The office is securely alarmed, as you would expect but the boats appear to be left at 'owners risk' There is not currently a live webcam which you can access via their website or through canal webcams, like you used to be able to do, although they advertise this.

As the marina is also on the towpath side of the canal which could be seen as another security risk, alot of mairina's are built like this and i personally do not see that as another point to argue about.

Whixhall Marina 27 miles from Chester.

Spent a couple of years there - very quiet, half way along the Llangollen easy access to middlewich, Chester and beyond.

BWML are struggling to fill it and offering some attractive deals at the moment

Current Offers

• Try before you buy – one month free mooring * prior to starting a 12 month contract – no further discounts will apply.
• Take out a Grade 1 discounted mooring at £145.00 per metre for new 12 months contracts . A saving of £26.00 per metre!

Grade 1 mooring for 40' craft (12.19m) £1767.55 - SAVING YOU £316 on our published rate
Grade 1 mooring for 50' craft (15.24m) £2209.80 - SAVING YOU £397 on our published rate
Grade 1 mooring for 60' craft (18.29m) £2652.05 - SAVING YOU £476 on our published rate

• Grade 2 mooring – max. berthing fee £1500 applicable to new berth holders for first 12 month contract.
• Grade 3 mooring – 10% off listed mooring fee for new berth holders for first 6 or 12 month contract.

*Electricity billed separately. BWML terms and conditions apply and subject to availability.

We now have planning permission for residential berths with a starting figure of £2,850 for vessels of up to 16 metres. POA for longer vessels.

http://www.bwml.co.uk/marinas/whixall_marina/berths

Whixhall Marina 27 miles from Chester.

Spent a couple of years there - very quiet, half way along the Llangollen easy access to middlewich, Chester and beyond.

BWML are struggling to fill it and offering some attractive deals at the moment

Current Offers

• Try before you buy – one month free mooring * prior to starting a 12 month contract – no further discounts will apply.

• Take out a Grade 1 discounted mooring at £145.00 per metre for new 12 months contracts . A saving of £26.00 per metre!

Grade 1 mooring for 40' craft (12.19m) £1767.55 - SAVING YOU £316 on our published rate

Grade 1 mooring for 50' craft (15.24m) £2209.80 - SAVING YOU £397 on our published rate

Grade 1 mooring for 60' craft (18.29m) £2652.05 - SAVING YOU £476 on our published rate

• Grade 2 mooring – max. berthing fee £1500 applicable to new berth holders for first 12 month contract.

• Grade 3 mooring – 10% off listed mooring fee for new berth holders for first 6 or 12 month contract.

*Electricity billed separately. BWML terms and conditions apply and subject to availability.

We now have planning permission for residential berths with a starting figure of £2,850 for vessels of up to 16 metres. POA for longer vessels.

http://www.bwml.co.uk/marinas/whixall_marina/berths

Blimey!!! if they are reasonable, I am out of touch :) no wonder they are struggling to fill it. How are these costs justified? We pay around £2000 for two full length boats inc. electricity for an off side mooring on the lower SU. I understand that Alvecote and some other moorings charge half price for working boats. I am sure Lawrence will be along in a minute to give details.