Canopies/Pram Cover

deckhand

Featured Posts

Hoping to draw on some that amazing expertise out there. New boat being launched this Saturday. Looking to fit as soon as possible a Stern Canopy/Pram Cover.

Can anyone recommend someone to do this? Will be based in Derbyshire. Its the timescales which are quite important to us and we have heard that time seems to an issue with Canopy makers/fitters.

thankyou

• 2 weeks later...

Myself....perhaps?

calvicraft.co.uk

Hi,

So sorry for the delay in responding, I somehow missed your post. I will give you a call over the next couple days. Have your number off google page. thanks

We used Cover-It as well made a lovely job - check blog for photos

I will get a quote, thankyou

I've never really liked the look of canopies, but having now been on the water for a couple of months and now wonder weather one for the stern might not be such a bad idea. I certainly wouldn't bother in the cratch but having 2 cats who use the stern to enter/exit the boat a canopy could be a good solution, as leaving the stern doors ajar lets rain water into the engine room.

What's a ball park figure for one of these, we only have a very short stern as well.

I'm assuming some kind of tubular construction as a frame, is that also correct?

DSCF1989_zps97587c52.jpg

Someone I knew on a 10' widebeam last year was quoted between £2.2k and £2.5 for rear canopy including as you said a tubular frame.

Blimy!

A large umbrella attached to the tiller is beginning to seem like a good option laugh.png Or get my heath Robinson head on and see what I can come up with construction.gif

I can't believe the cost of stuff. I had a key cut earlier £7 quid FFs laugh.png The guy then said he can do 2 for a tenner laugh.png So of course I bought 2 to get the one I needed cheaper rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif Now I hope I lose one and get my monies worth wacko.png laugh.png

Sorry wandered off topicsmiley_offtopic.gif

ETA

Hang on I do recall a member making a very simplified cover for the stern made simply from tent rods and tent type material, anyone recall this?

Edited by Julynian

Blimy!

A large umbrella attached to the tiller is beginning to seem like a good option laugh.png Or get my heath Robinson head on and see what I can come up with construction.gif

I can't believe the cost of stuff. I had a key cut earlier £7 quid FFs laugh.png The guy then said he can do 2 for a tenner laugh.png So of course I bought 2 to get the one I needed cheaper rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif Now I hope I lose one and get my monies worth wacko.png laugh.png

Sorry wandered off topicsmiley_offtopic.gif

ETA

Hang on I do recall a member making a very simplified cover for the stern made simply from tent rods and tent type material, anyone recall this?

IIFC ours was in the region of £1600 made by Wilsons a couple of years ago (not widebeam though) Did an excellent job & as we are year round CC'rs it's great for extra storage & if the bridges not too low good for cruising in bad weather although we usually have it down when cruising, takes 5 mins to erect when we moor up smile.png

IIFC ours was in the region of £1600 made by Wilsons a couple of years ago (not widebeam though) Did an excellent job & as we are year round CC'rs it's great for extra storage & if the bridges not too low good for cruising in bad weather although we usually have it down when cruising, takes 5 mins to erect when we moor up smile.png

Appreciated, still seems a lot of money though, of course I do appreciate the bespoke nature of the item makes a big difference. I might be tempted around the 1500 mark, but for now I'll put my thinking cap on construction.gif

Edited by Julynian

Julynian, lot depends on what type you want, what material, have had a couple of quotes and still going to get a couple more but the biggest issue seems to be the lead time, 12 weeks upwards seems to be the norm for the ones I have spoken to so far. Hoping that this can be reduced from the ones yet to contact. Would like to get it done before winter. Have 5 dogs and already can see how we would benefit from having stern cover.

I managed to find the canopy idea posted on here by a member some time ago.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55612&hl=%2Brear+%2Bshower+%2Bcanopy

I had completely forgotten about this until this thread reminded me. This is IMO a really clever simple elegant partial solution. I'm just trying to source all the bits required now, trying to find the inside diameter of 13mm hose T connectors is proving difficult though but needed, as they will need to be used on the inside diameter not outside. It's difficult finding T connectors for the tent pole diameter sizes available.

Want to find a neater solution to fitting the ends of poles and adjusting them too.

We can recommend Kinver, they're very professional, came out and took measurements and made a pattern whilst we were travelling and then came out the following day to fit it, they also gave us the pattern so that we can have any damaged section replaced.

Have you asked Kinver Canopies? Scott and Ian are very good http://www.kinvercanopies.co.uk/

We can recommend Kinver, they're very professional, came out and took measurements and made a pattern whilst we were travelling and then came out the following day to fit it, they also gave us the pattern so that we can have any damaged section replaced.

Hi

Thankyou, we did call Kinver and they were very quick at responding and quoting, the only thing was the lead time but it may be we just have to bite the bullet. I still have a couple of calls to make but we have been so busy trying to get internet and television set up etc.