Curley Wurley wanderings

nicknorman

Featured Posts

So good you said it twice!

We had fun with I think the second down in the main group of Rushall locks with the bottom gates not staying open going down. With just 2 of us it was a bit tricky, and in the end I used a rope to tie one open, I don't know if there is a smarter way when you get that happening.

We use the boat hook to jam against the balance beam to keep one gate open whilst Jeannette leans against the other.

Regards

Pete

As you come into the lock, lasso the top gate post and pull it closed behind you with the momentum of the boat. Keeping the rope around the post, throw the free end forward and tie it to the middle of a line tied by simple wrapping to the iron staples commonly found on the end of both gate beams. Drop the water out of the lock very quickly so that you can keep the boat moving forward in the lock, drawing the rope around the top gate post and pulling the bottom gates open. Once you have had a bit of practice you will be able to judge the wrapping of the "cross" line so that it becomes undone just as you exit the lock. Be careful not to foul the screw as you gather in the rope. Working boaters used to pride themselves on the skill with which they were able to do this.

I may have exaggerated slightly here.

In fact I may have fabricated the story from beginning to end...

I'd say that was pretty fair, the Walsall canal can be quite a challenge. On the other hand, it really needs more boats, and if more people complain, the more chance of getting something done

I adopt defensive boating techniques going through Darlaston. I regularly put the boat briefly in reverse to clear the prop, and knock the power off as the stern reaches a bridge hole to lift the boat through. Bridges are the most likely place for underwater surprises. That way, I can often avoid weedhatch trips completely

Richard

I agree. The BCN does need more boaters and complaining will only put people off. It is an urban area and there are always going to be a lot of people about, many are delighted to see moving boats but there is always potential for problems. We have never had any problem on the Walsall ourselves, (I don't count the fisherman who asked us why we didn't just fuck off). Similarly I love the Tame valley, though I know others have have had minor incidents.

The BCN is a great resource and important part of our canal heritage

We've just departed the Walsall town arm heading back to central Brum. The journey to here has been mixed. Quite fast to start with, around the new bridges, then slower and weedier. Then slower and weedier and shallower still, especially around the M6. However nothing serious on the prop, just one stop and that was really because I was fed up with sub-2mph and had a vain hope that some prop therapy might help the speed. It didn't!

So its not a bad canal, nothing that some dredging wouldn't fix! Walsall basin was as expected, a little dissapointing in terms of architecture and a shame to see the only "real" building unoccupied, however I'm sure it is better than what was there before. Zero boats present of course. The pontoon at the junction would be my preferred nightstop point. Good shopping in the main town centre shopping just a few yards away.

Edited to add - back at the M6 bridge now, back to sub 2 mph. The only consolation is that the M6 traffic is even slower!

Edited by nicknorman

• 1 month later...

Having failed to do the Walsall flight on our last trip because it was closed, we went there by car today. It was quite tidy and pleasant really, but I noticed this round object at the top lock. It's obviously been filled in at the top with concrete, but what was its purpose?

11012661274_521a855332_z.jpg

Walsall top lock object by nick.norman, on Flickr

• 2 months later...