divided community?

nmptwentyone

Featured Posts

was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the divisions of the canal community? old verses young, leisure verses liveaboard. or are we just like one happy family?

we are a young couple (under 30 (just)) and fairly new to this way of life, come mid january we will be living aboard. something im curious about is, sometimes i feel a negative vibe from the (generally speaking) retired, nice new shiney boat gang. any one else feel this or am i compleatly wrong? or are you a member of the aforementioned gang (no offence intended) and feel its not the place for younger people?

open discussion, just wanted to know if anyone had any views on the subject.

DISCUSS!!!

Edited by nmptwentyone

was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the divisions of the canal community? old verses young, leisure verses liveaboard. or are we just like one happy family?

we are a young couple (under 30 (just)) and fairly new to this way of life, come mid january we will be living aboard. something im curious about is, sometimes i feel a negative vibe from the (generally speaking) retired, nice new shiney boat gang. any one else feel this or am i compleatly wrong? or are you a member of the aforementioned gang (no offence intended) and feel its not the place for younger people?

DISCUSS!!!

With liveaboards I don't find a division between the old and the young, and especially not within a community. My experience is that people club together, and generally a personality can get over the impression your boat may give! I have never been in a community that is just old or just young, usually it is a mix - and the older ones are essential as they have more experience.

DISCUSS!!!

Everyone is cool until proved otherwise....I can be a complete fool at times as other members can confirm, but in general I think there is a general acceptance of all 'types' of boater on this forum.... and a willingness to share knowlege, there will always be an exception to prove the rule however!!! :D

Edited by tomsk

This will open the can :D

For my own part, there has never been any 'heirachy' in boating on the canals and when I get my nice shiny new boat next year I will converse with/help anyone (even if their boat is plastic :D )

This will open the can :D

For my own part, there has never been any 'heirachy' in boating on the canals and when I get my nice shiny new boat next year I will converse with/help anyone (even if their boat is plastic :D )

There was an article in one of the canal mags this month about this subject, rather tongue in cheek and a bit silly, apparently... WE (according to the article) as the owners of a fully portholed, rivited, Gardner engined tug are supposed to look down on everyone else ...bollocks...as a working class geordie who lives with a scouser...that's never going to happen :D

I find that the canals are full of Ar**holes and angels and all shades in between :D

I find that the canals are full of Ar**holes and angels and all shades in between :D

Yeah, thats about right...

Some people are so stuck up there own exhaststack they dont even notice you, and there are the odd few that possable we would do better without.

But generally everyone tends get on with everyone else.

- Sometimes people can be snooty about younger people, but more often than not there genually please to see someone younger on the sence. (im 19 btw)

My general stance is to assume everyones nice, and quickly ingnore the odd few that arnt. Simple!

Daniel

There was an article in one of the canal mags this month about this subject, rather tongue in cheek and a bit silly, apparently... WE (according to the article) as the owners of a fully portholed, rivited, Gardner engined tug are supposed to look down on everyone else ...bollocks...as a working class geordie who lives with a scouser...that's never going to happen :D

Hi there, we have a GRP cruiser and even though lots of folks tell me that narrowboaters with steel boats look down on the 'tupperware' crowd I can honestly say I've never come across it. It is true that I'm reluctant to go into a wide lock with a steel boat unless I'm certain the steerer on the steel boat knows what they're doing, as is sensible, 17 tons of steel V nothing in plastic is no contest in the demolition stakes! I help any boater and they've helped me, and we get along just dandy. It might depend on which waterway you use, the Lancaster canal for instance is mostly cruisers whereas the Leeds & Liverpool is mainly steel boats, but the only one's looked down at near me are the licence dodgers, but near my mooring at Salterforth these dumbos are getting their boats ripped apart by BW and put into a skip barge! It's a friendly world the cut, full of all sorts, from good and bad, straight laced and raving bonkers, but mainly the 'salt of the earth' types who make the cut one really nice place to be. :D

Denis.

I've met some truly obnoxious boaters from both ends of the age, wealth or shinyness scales. They have definately been in small minority but unfortunately these people always leave a bitter taste that lingers. I always try to treat everyone the same, and now I just totally blank those whose piss me. I got into boating thinking it was going to be a chilled lifestyle for all.

Noah

I recognise that boat, Kennington was moored at Weedon until recently, I take it you have just bought it where are you going to live on it?

We are fairly young (mid 30's) don't live aboard but know plenty that do. We have met allsorts on our travels and tend to get on with most.

We have had 3 boats now ranging from a derelict Dawncraft to a 60' Peter Nicholls so have been through nearly the whole price range as well.

We have also hired boats as well so have seen it from that angle as well.

If you are still on the Weedon stretch go up and down the wide locks a few times and you will soon meet loads of varying strangers who are mostly very friendly, you never know you may even meet us.

Perhaps i feel a bit differently to all of you, I am only 21 and am a liveaboard, Althow everybody in my marina is very nice to me, There is the odd one that wont even say hello or nod even if i have...

On the cut i find most people very nice to talk to, there intreged that im so young but i did buy my first canal boat at 18 :angry:

maybe its just a grumpy couple that hold there heads to high to see me lol

Ross

Perhaps i feel a bit differently to all of you, I am only 21 and am a liveaboard, Althow everybody in my marina is very nice to me, There is the odd one that wont even say hello or nod even if i have...

On the cut i find most people very nice to talk to, there intreged that im so young but i did buy my first canal boat at 18 :angry:

Ross

Take no notice it is their problem. You only get out what you put in so if your OK with people they should be with you. It takes guts to get on in life so good for you.

Ross

I usually find that a persistant cheery smile and greeting often works on two levels 1. Melts the permafrost and makes them think they misjudged you...or... 2. Pisses them off if they are just plain dissagreeable :angry:

Option 2. has to carried on ad infinitum even in the face of grumpiness so they can't have the satisfaction of saying "I told you so" to each other and you keep the moral high ground...heh heh heh!

I recognise that boat, Kennington was moored at Weedon until recently, I take it you have just bought it where are you going to live on it?

We are fairly young (mid 30's) don't live aboard but know plenty that do. We have met allsorts on our travels and tend to get on with most.

We have had 3 boats now ranging from a derelict Dawncraft to a 60' Peter Nicholls so have been through nearly the whole price range as well.

We have also hired boats as well so have seen it from that angle as well.

If you are still on the Weedon stretch go up and down the wide locks a few times and you will soon meet loads of varying strangers who are mostly very friendly, you never know you may even meet us.

Yeah newly purchased! bought from whilton marina 2 weeks ago, never actually moored at weedon though, but you might have seen it at whilton? moored last week at blisworth tunnel (north end) after some trouble with the batteries, but down at church lock (near leighton buzzard) now. closer to home! will move up to out moorings next month once we've loaded up etc!

Quick question. we bought kennington with an expired leicence. ive sent off for a new one but it hasnt come yet. ive got nothing in the window at the moment. that be ok do we think?

Everyone at my marina is nice to me and my woman. I think they enjoy my stories of the last thing that fell to pieces in my hands :angry:

The only problem I've had was some on the Glasson flight who wouldn't wait for me, he was only about 10 minutes ahead and there was night on no water as it was. it wasn't me that asked but apparently he started shouting at the people who did. They were only trying to be helpful!

I usually find that a persistant cheery smile and greeting often works on two levels 1. Melts the permafrost and makes them think they misjudged you...or... 2. Pisses them off if they are just plain dissagreeable :angry:

Option 2. has to carried on ad infinitum even in the face of grumpiness so they can't have the satisfaction of saying "I told you so" to each other and you keep the moral high ground...heh heh heh!

I'm a big fan of this Option 2 philosophy: Love thine enemy .... it really drives them nuts.

John

Quick question. we bought kennington with an expired leicence. ive sent off for a new one but it hasnt come yet. ive got nothing in the window at the moment. that be ok do we think?

I believe technically the offence is failing to display a licence rather than (or as well as not owning a licence), but I have boated for many weeks with the licence safely tucked into the fruit bowl instead of on the window, and suffered nothing more than an ear bashing for not displaying it...

Edited by BenR

Ahhh, you'll be ok...

- Serously, BW are even more lax and checking the liecences as they are at issusing them.

- Its not cool to dodge the fees, but seeing as you've applied for it anyway, you wont have a problem at all, even if someone does notice.

Daniel

When anyone snubs you, there is a tendancy to think it is personal, so liveaboards who are snubbed by older people in shiny new boats may well think that they are not liked. However the truth is that those miserable snarling, and usually arguing amongst themselves, 60 somethings don't like anyone else, and are just as rude to Hirers and other Cruisers. They have usually come to boating later in life, think they know everything, and will relate all sorts of rubbish about the rules, and how it used to be etc., without really having a clue as to what they are talking about. They are best ignored.

Edited by David Schweizer

Ahhh, you'll be ok...

- Serously, BW are even more lax and checking the liecences as they are at issusing them.

Ha Ha....... I put my boat in the water on the 2nd Sept. The licence was delivered on the 3rd (to my house 60 miles away) and on the 4th I got a "Patrol Notice" attached to the boat :angry:

I have some live aboards moored near me, (Wont say too much as I'm not sure they're supposed to be there, personally I couldnt care less). They are really nice people and have made me cups of coffee, whilst working on the boat, helped carry stuff from the car, leant a hand on two hand jobs and even brought beer out on occassion. Smashing bunch. :angry:

Most of the people I know are great. Some are grumpy, but I think that's just the way they are rather than because they live on boats or cruise on boats.

I had a health visitor round yesterday in an attempt to gain some more advice about sleeping patterns for my youngest who has yet to sleep through for over 3 months (doesn't wake any of the neighbours, just poor old mum!). Anyway, she offered a home visit, and my hubby said he was worried she would come along and deem the boat unacceptable to bring children up on.

Well, she was in fact the opposite. She loved it and never even mentioned it not possibly being suitable. So it's swings and round abouts me thinks.

I've seen some grumpy boaters who won't nod to you as you are cruising or even flash a smile, and then some who will pass a whole conversation in the ten seconds it takes to pass each other.

Not sure if age is really relevant, but I do know most of the ones who don't talk are older (and I am not ageist).

Whilst out cruising weekend before last we had a boat behind us seemingly in a hurry to be somewhere (as in a rush as you can be on the cut anyway). We were toddling along enjoying the crisp sunny day and admiring the views as we passed them. We refused to go any faster for a bunch of retired folks who will quite happily sit in their cars driving at 30mph on all roads, but suddenly want us to hurry when they are in their NB's.

So we quite happily chugged along and they eventually moored up (must have been trying to avoid the lunchtime rush).

On the flip side, it could easily have been a group of young people in a hurry. I can only go by what I have so far experienced.

Ha Ha....... I put my boat in the water on the 2nd Sept. The licence was delivered on the 3rd (to my house 60 miles away) and on the 4th I got a "Patrol Notice" attached to the boat :angry:

Bloody 'ell!

- Our liecence (annuall renewal) is usally weeks late, even if we pay intime to get the 10% disconunt!

Daniel

Not sure if age is really relevant, but I do know most of the ones who don't talk are older (and I am not ageist).

Whilst out cruising weekend before last we had a boat behind us seemingly in a hurry to be somewhere (as in a rush as you can be on the cut anyway). We were toddling along enjoying the crisp sunny day and admiring the views as we passed them. We refused to go any faster for a bunch of retired folks who will quite happily sit in their cars driving at 30mph on all roads, but suddenly want us to hurry when they are in their NB's.

It is easy to generalise and as consequence, risk being being ageist. I am retired, and whilst I do not do as much driving as I used to do when I was at work, I still drive quite a lot, and regularly drive up to my boat which is moored 100 miles from home. I usually drive close to the maximum speed permitted and get really fed up sitting behind much younger people who seem to have all the time in the day to pootle along when I am trying to get somewhere.

As for people who are happy to poddle along the canal at 1mph, that is fine, as long as they are prepared to move over when it is safe to do so, and wave past someone behind them who wants to go a bit faster. There may be a good reason for them being in a hurry, and it is unreasonable for someone else to deliberately prevent them from passing.