Forum Improvements - User Poll

DHutch

Which of the below improvements are you interested in?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the below improvements are you interested in?

• Improvements to the gallery
    • Tapatalk app support
    • Forum member map
    • Direct image upload
    • Revised forum areas
    • Guide to using the forum
    • Alternative forum skins
    • Forum merchadise
    • Other (please detail below)

Featured Posts

In addition to the members map- could we have some boat merchandise that helps show we are members and to help meet other members. I think there have been stickers in the past- but these can be difficult to see and involve peering in peoples windows. What about a smallish flag for the top of the boat?

I'd love to be able to take a pic with my phone and insert it straight into my post from my phone like I can with facebook.

Displaying pics. taken on a phone in the forum is certainly possible but as it requires the use of an App. to do it so again it is not as straightforward as it is on Facebook agreed.

Displaying pics. taken on a phone in the forum is certainly possible but as it requires the use of an App. to do it so again it is not as straightforward as it is on Facebook agreed.

This functionality is, I believe, offered with the Tapatalk app. The Tapatalk app will basically give us an iOS/Android application-based front end to the forum, kind of like using the facebook app instead of via your mobile browser.

This functionality is, I believe, offered with the Tapatalk app. The Tapatalk app will basically give us an iOS/Android application-based front end to the forum, kind of like using the facebook app instead of via your mobile browser.

I was thinking more Imgr/Photobucket apps. which make pretty simple to display images taken on a phone in the forum.

As Dave says though not as easy as uploading direct like FB does (with all the bandwidth issues that would bring of course)

Not in your list - Can we increase the number of recipients for personal messages please? Currently it is one, plus one other. Could it be one plus three others

I have increased this from 1 to 5 additional members, 6 in total. I have also increased the inbox size from 75 to 150 pending further investigation as to the resource use of the pm inbox.

I'll bet Daniel is sorry he started this thread, although it epitomises the theme of democracy where members are given the opportunity to submit an input in how things are run. Respect!

Not at all.

Obviously in no way can, will or have I promised to incorporate every request, but I am always interested in members thoughts, suggestions and comments, and every one will be given consideration and thought. Some suggests and pole results are unsurprising, but others such as the limit on the PMs was not something on the radar at all and have now been changed as a direct result.

In addition to the members map- could we have some boat merchandise that helps show we are members and to help meet other members. I think there have been stickers in the past- but these can be difficult to see and involve peering in peoples windows. What about a smallish flag for the top of the boat?

Window stickers are top on the list of proposed merchandise, followed with mousemat, t'shirts/jackets, and mug. However a 'burgee' type flag could be developed very easly and has been added to the list.

I find that, if I am replying to a long post and want to reply to particular points as I go along, it is not very easy to split the quoted text up into chunks. It used to be easy. Now, the only way I could find to do it involved lots of copying and pasting, highlighting and clicking "Quote". Is there some way to get an alternative way of replying where long quotes can be split up?

Its fairly well known/commented on that the wysiwyg editor leaves a significant amount to be desired, and I expect and hope it will receive attention come the next software version, however for more complicated posts and more the more experienced user, you can at least toggle it off and go back to using BBcode if you wish, if you did not already realise that.

Daniel

I have increased this from 1 to 5 additional members, 6 in total. I have also increased the inbox size from 75 to 150 pending further investigation as to the resource use of the pm inbox.

Excellent! Thank you Daniel

Richard

Daniel - I think you need to be more pushy at getting in donations.

Whilst it's Daniel's prerogative on how he recruits donors to help fund the forum, I do believe that if he relies upon a minority to volunteer towards his costs that could be deemed as unfair. In other words those whom refrain from donating are then subsidised by those who do.

As mentioned previously, if a count of active members is made and that figure is then divided into the cost of running the site, then everyone pays an equal amount on an annual basis.

I also wouldn't object to a small amount of ads so long as they were relevant to boating. I don't want my 'bits' enlarging or to marry a thai bride thanks.

I wouldn't mind info on 'bits enlargement', my legs are far too short!

Not at all.

Obviously in no way can, will or have I promised to incorporate every request, but I am always interested in members thoughts, suggestions and comments, and every one will be given consideration and thought.

Fair play to you for trying to accommodate the member's 'needs' in such a way. If only governments were equally as inviting!

Edited by Doorman

Reply under other which I ticked.

1) Bloggs by Private people who own historic boats and what they are doing to maintain the boats. CART get income from canal users but what about "real" people who put their own money into this to preserve the historic integrity of boats. I would rather support these people with a few bob than for money to disappear into CART,s coffers.

2) People often post asking for a referral for some work that they may require to be done on their boats. Members often mention good or even bad experiences that they have had with various craftsmen or companies. This is often followed by a personal disclaimer that the member does not have "an interest" in the person or entity that the reference refers to.

I am sure that many site members run businesses either from their boats or from dry land. I would be happy to utilize these services. If we had a list of occupations of members or services that they can provide then this would be good. I have recently built a house and used the son of one of our friends to do all the electrics. Although he is 40 years old, he was never late or let me down in case I phoned his Mum. The same wouldnt apply here. Not name and shame but I,m sure you will know what I mean.

Whilst it's Daniel's prerogative on how he recruits donors to help fund the forum, I do believe that if he relies upon a minority to volunteer towards his costs that could be deemed as unfair. In other words those whom refrain from donating are then subsidised by those who do.

As mentioned previously, if a count of active members is made and that figure is then divided into the cost of running the site, then everyone pays an equal amount on an annual basis.

I think there is no problem with asking people to donate if they so wish. Each person who voluntarily pays an amount that they can, and want to, afford, already knows and accepts that there will be others who don't or won't pay. Yet they still willingly pay so there is no bad feeling. There is no sense of it not being fair because they have already accepted that payment is voluntary. If payment is mandatory and people refuse to pay that is unfair and leads to bad feeling.

1) Bloggs by Private people who own historic boats and what they are doing to maintain the boats. CART get income from canal users but what about "real" people who put their own money into this to preserve the historic integrity of boats. I would rather support these people with a few bob than for money to disappear into CART,s coffers.

Obviously or otherwise, one of the things I dont really have much control over is who posts what, or writes what blog. Unless of cause we took a policy decision to offer form of incentive to owners of such boats to run a blog .

However, a little bit like the gallery I have slightly neglected the blog side, so it is possible that with some work it could be improved such that people where more included to use it.

Open to people thoughts on the blog aspect of the site if anyone has and comments. I will have to hold my hand up to having basically never used it myself.

2) People often post asking for a referral for some work that they may require to be done on their boats. Members often mention good or even bad experiences that they have had with various craftsmen or companies. This is often followed by a personal disclaimer that the member does not have "an interest" in the person or entity that the reference refers to.

I am sure that many site members run businesses either from their boats or from dry land. I would be happy to utilize these services. If we had a list of occupations of members or services that they can provide then this would be good. I have recently built a house and used the son of one of our friends to do all the electrics. Although he is 40 years old, he was never late or let me down in case I phoned his Mum. The same wouldnt apply here. Not name and shame but I,m sure you will know what I mean.

A 'recommend a tradesman' forum area has been suggested else where, if not perhaps in this thread, and is something we are planning on looking into introducing.

Any any suggestions from users as to how you might see this best implemented will be taken on board during the process.

Daniel

I wouldn't mind info on 'bits enlargement', my legs are far too short!

Fair play to you for trying to accommodate the member's 'needs' in such a way. If only governments were equally as inviting!

Daniel for prime minister!

I think there is no problem with asking people to donate if they so wish. Each person who voluntarily pays an amount that they can, and want to, afford, already knows and accepts that there will be others who don't or won't pay. Yet they still willingly pay so there is no bad feeling. There is no sense of it not being fair because they have already accepted that payment is voluntary. If payment is mandatory and people refuse to pay that is unfair and leads to bad feeling.

Without knowing Daniel's costs to run and maintain the site, it's difficult to arrive at a figure if it were mandatory to join, but surely if all active members were to contribute equally, then that figure would be quite small. As a voluntary donor towards his costs, I feel that I am contributing towards a worthwhile feature in my life that I gain much enjoyment and enlightenment from and don't begrudge that payment whatsoever.

It is from my own attitude towards contributing, in that I believe it is fair to Daniel, that I imagine others who regularly enjoy the benefits of the forum would also wish to donate. Also, if payment was mandatory and people refused to pay, then they would automatically accept non admittance to the site.

Can you imagine if admission to a football or cricket match was voluntary and a guy in the next seat to you had paid nothing, but you had paid to get in. I can't see that you would feel comfortable with that scenario.

Equally, if the costs were divided throughout the active membership each year, there would not be the risk of either a shortfall or surplus of funds to run the site. Whereas with the present system of voluntary payments, that risk is clearly possible.

Edited by Doorman

Daniel for prime minister!

Could not do any worse than 'call me Dave'!

Thanks Richard,

that simply reinforces my point of dividing the costs equally rather than relying upon the generosity of a minority.

I wonder whether it was Martin who so kindly donated £500 back in July 2011? Looking at his enormous post count even that figure represents value for money.

Edited by Doorman

Without knowing Daniel's costs to run and maintain the site, it's difficult to arrive at a figure if it were mandatory to join, but surely if all active members were to contribute equally, then that figure would be quite small. As a voluntary donor towards his costs, I feel that I am contributing towards a worthwhile feature in my life that I gain much enjoyment and enlightenment from and don't begrudge that payment whatsoever.

Yes the amount per head would be small and I totally agree about contributing towards something I enjoy

It is from my own attitude towards contributing, in that I believe it is fair to Daniel, that I imagine others who regularly enjoy the benefits of the forum would also wish to donate. Also, if payment was mandatory and people refused to pay, then they would automatically accept non admittance to the site.

I struggle with this. Just because I an prepared to contribute does not mean that everybody else should pay. For me I am happy to do my bit without insisting that others do the same - If I am happy with that then it is not unfair

Can you imagine if admission to a football or cricket match was voluntary and a guy in the next seat to you had paid nothing, but you had paid to get in. I can't see that you would feel comfortable with that scenario.

I completely agree that I would not be comfortable with that scenario. But the reason is because I know that in each and every game of football or cricket across the land I cannot get in to enjoy the game without paying. That example doesn't apply in the case of the forum. Football and cricket clubs are businesses with heavy overheads - I expect to pay to watch. The forum is not a business - it is a shared resource where the contributors are the resource. Yes there are costs for Daniel but all that is required is some people who are willing to voluntarily contribute

Equally, if the costs were divided throughout the active membership each year, there would not be the risk of either a shortfall or surplus of funds to run the site. Whereas with the present system of voluntary payments, that risk is clearly possible.

How would you define 'active membership' Someone would need to monitor each member's input to the forum and then, when they have crossed the threshold into active membership, they would need to be informed that they are now required to contribute. It is the sense of being 'required to contribute' that I am not happy about and I am sure I am not alone in that. If the costs to Daniel were heavy I can see that mandatory payment would be needed but the costs are light and voluntary contributions help either help Daniel to meet them or cover them completely. It is all that is needed.

Edited by Bazza2
  • Greenie 2

I wonder whether it was Martin who so kindly donated £500 back in July 2011? Looking at his enormous post count even that figure represents value for money.

I thought the £500 donor was public knowledge but I won't divulge it here in case it isn't.

I thought the £500 donor was public knowledge but I won't divulge it here in case it isn't.

Wasn't that when we had the last 'whip round' and some members sent money to Wriigglefingers??

Or was it really a single donation?

ed ah no I see the group donations are detailed as 'mulit-donation'

So the forum does have a generous benefactor then.

Edited by The Dog House

Bazza2, on 05 Sept 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:Bazza2, on 05 Sept 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

I struggle with this. Just because I an prepared to contribute does not mean that everybody else should pay. For me I am happy to do my bit without insisting that others do the same - If I am happy with that then it is not unfair

How would you define 'active membership' Someone would need to monitor each member's input to the forum and then, when they have crossed the threshold into active membership, they would need to be informed that they are now required to contribute. It is the sense of being 'required to contribute' that I am not happy about and I am sure I am not alone in that. If the costs to Daniel were heavy I can see that mandatory payment would be needed but the costs are light and voluntary contributions help either help Daniel to meet them or cover them completely. It is all that is needed.

Apologies for my late response to your questions but today we've actually released the shackles of our home mooring and are now out cruising for a change.

Regarding your first point and after viewing Daniel's latest posted accounts, I'd have to concede to your opinion on voluntary payments. It would appear that since the donate button has become more apparent a flood of donations have arrived!

Apart from your question on how would one define 'active membership', the second issue has also been covered by the volume of donations received. I imagine that quantifying active membership would be relatively easy for most computer buffs, but that requirement seems irrelevant now anyway.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Apologies for my late response to your questions but today we've actually released the shackles of our home mooring and are now out cruising for a change.

Regarding your first point and after viewing Daniel's latest posted accounts, I'd have to concede to your opinion on voluntary payments. It would appear that since the donate button has become more apparent a flood of donations have arrived!

Apart from your question on how would one define 'active membership', the second issue has also been covered by the volume of donations received. I imagine that quantifying active membership would be relatively easy for most computer buffs, but that requirement seems irrelevant now anyway.

Mike

Thats ok mate - I've been out all day too. Not actually boating but getting my boat ready to take some important people boating this weekend

I've been minked again. You wouldn't believe the mess they can make. I found two separate mink middens in my engine space and another behind the seat in the cockpit - anyway its sorted now

Edited by Bazza2