Forum Improvements - User Poll

DHutch

Which of the below improvements are you interested in?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the below improvements are you interested in?

• Improvements to the gallery
    • Tapatalk app support
    • Forum member map
    • Direct image upload
    • Revised forum areas
    • Guide to using the forum
    • Alternative forum skins
    • Forum merchadise
    • Other (please detail below)

Featured Posts

In case you have missed it, there's a whole thread on the very topic!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=59683&hl=

Daniel

Cheers Daniel, I did miss it!

Some fascinating figures amongst the stats and many illustrate how popular the site actually is!

Bazza2, on 05 Sept 2013 - 8:48 PM, said:

I've been minked again. You wouldn't believe the mess they can make. I found two separate mink middens in my engine space and another behind the seat in the cockpit - anyway its sorted now

Minked?

Rumour has it that there was a mink farm up here in Cheshire or Shropshire and some animal rights people let all of the buggers out. Boaters have reported incidents where they've managed to get on board and wreak havoc. The minks not the animal rights folk!

Minked?

Rumour has it that there was a mink farm up here in Cheshire or Shropshire and some animal rights people let all of the buggers out. Boaters have reported incidents where they've managed to get on board and wreak havoc. The minks not the animal rights folk!

If you check back, Bazza has been invaded by the descendants of escaped mink before, and is becoming a proficient trapper

Richard

If you check back, Bazza has been invaded by the descendants of escaped mink before, and is becoming a proficient trapper

Richard

Indeed....I'm ready for the little buggers this winter though

I've made a dedicated double ended tunnel trap within which is placed two Elgeeco mink traps, facing opposite ways. I can place the trap anywhere, in the cockpit, beside the boat, where I please. It'll be interesting to see what happens

• 3 weeks later...

The Virtual Pub is a wonderful idea. Please can we have a Virtual Courtroom?

In the VP the emphasis is on social interaction and all else is secondary.

In the VC the emphasis would be on precision, with every post and poster liable to merciless scrutiny and challenge. No concession would be made to anybody's feelings and a spade would be called a spade.

That would leave the general forums free for "gracious" debate where kindness would be allowed and expected, yet still leave room for interested debate. Here, personal criticism would be frowned upon.

I did not like the new layout when it was introduced, but quickly got used to it - indeed, I now cannot remember what the former one looked like.

But since the new technology was introduced, the reply/ add new post function has gone steeply downhill. When I type in a reply, sometimes it behaves itself and appears in normal typeface at a sensible size. But equally often, it appears either in italic, or underlined, or crossed out. All these I can correct. But occasionally my reply appears in tiny print, and even with the use of the font size control I can't make it bigger.

Quite often the various buttons which are designed to help us edit our posts (addition of slimy faces*, bold, italic etc.) appear hazy and do not do anything when one presses on them.

In brief, the post/ reply function is harder to use than hitherto and less reliable.

* Yes I know, an Athertypo, but I quite liked it so I've left it in.

Edited by Athy

I did not like the new layout when it was introduced, but quickly got used to it - indeed, I now cannot remember what the former one looked like.

But since the new technology was introduced, the reply/ add new post function has gone steeply downhill. When I type in a reply, sometimes it behaves itself and appears in normal typeface at a sensible size. But equally often, it appears either in italic, or underlined, or crossed out. All these I can correct. But occasionally my reply appears in tiny print, and even with the use of the font size control I can't make it bigger.

Quite often the various buttons which are designed to help us edit our posts (addition of slimy faces*, bold, italic etc.) appear hazy and do not do anything when one presses on them.

In brief, the post/ reply function is harder to use than hitherto and less reliable.

Athy, how old is your PC, laptop etc.,

I am a complete numpty where computers are involved but never encounter such problems on our PC or IPad.

My computer is quite modern - I bought it four years ago.

I never encounter similar problems when contributing to any other forum, so I guess it must be the working bits of the reply function which are causing my problems.

I find the same Athy - sometimes quote brings up some very strange formatting of the words you are quoting.

Plus I have lost count of the number of times when I press on quote it ends up posting the quoted post twice.

Not a request for improvement as such but more like a 'bug' in the software that needs eradicating.

My computer is quite modern - I bought it four years ago.

I never encounter similar problems when contributing to any other forum, so I guess it must be the working bits of the reply function which are causing my problems.

you jest sir surely, 4 year old computer is a museum piece (not that is in going to have any impact on the problem you are seeing).

I have never had any problems with the font size, have you tried clearing out cookies.

LOL

I have a few laptops lying around, all more than four years old. One in particular surprised me when I changed from XP to 7 and was actually quicker on 7 (never did like XP) I have Ubuntu on another old one which is superb for forum type stuff; great value for money.

you jest sir surely, 4 year old computer is a museum piece (not that is in going to have any impact on the problem you are seeing).

I have never had any problems with the font size, have you tried clearing out cookies.

LOL

No, surely YOU jest? Big business may be able to replace their computers every couple of years, but I'm sure that most of us don't want to and that many of us can't afford to.

My service provider tells me that I may have to get a new one next spring, as Microsoft will no longer be supporting Windows XP which is what my cmputer has. Apparently it will still work but there will be no more technical or security updates. Well, thanks a bucket, Microsoft. Is this true? There must be millions of people who rely on XP.

No, surely YOU jest? Big business may be able to replace their computers every couple of years, but I'm sure that most of us don't want to and that many of us can't afford to.

My service provider tells me that I may have to get a new one next spring, as Microsoft will no longer be supporting Windows XP which is what my cmputer has. Apparently it will still work but there will be no more technical or security updates. Well, thanks a bucket, Microsoft. Is this true? There must be millions of people who rely on XP.

I have just retired from my job of bodging old computers in a cash strapped secondary school. We used to buy four year old machines in from industry and commerce, and to us they were new. Quite often they had popped a capacitor on the motherboard, and a bit of careful soldering would get them up and running again; a bodge that we carried out many times.

I believe it is true about XP. You should be able to bung a copy of 7 on a 4 year old lapptop. A bit more RAM off ebay might cheer it up. I have some old computers that are still in use with 7 on them (and Ubuntu.)

Edited by Guest

As CW says this correct - they stop support and updates for all older versions of Windows at some point. I wound my Dell PC back to XP Home from Vista a few months ago and it runs much faster and is much more stable, but I knew when I did this updates for XP will stop next April, on the the 8th to be precise. So I may have to go back to Vista or leapfrog Visat and go for 7 if I want to continue with the updates.

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173

The cynics say it's to force upgrades in both PC's and operating systems and keep the cash flowing, MS of course say it's to improve the 'users experience', I'm with the cynics.

My Dell PC must be coming up to 5 years old now and runs fine, does everything I need and I certainly don't need to 'improve my experience' and will be loath to change it until it ever goes expensively belly up. When I was working and had much more disposable income I probably would have changed it by now but there really is no need at all if I am honest.

Edited by The Dog House

The service provider tells me that Windows has now reached mk. 8 - and that this is completely different from all the previous Windows variants. He also mutters darkly about Vista (though I don't really understand why), so it looks as if Windows 7 should be my choice.

Do any other firms apart from Microsoft sell operating systems, or whatever Windows is called? I've heard of Apple but apparently you need a special, and expensive, computer, to use it.

Mr. Weasel, surely you are too modest: "bodge" computers? I'm sure you were far better than that, and presume that you mean "service/ repair/ renovate computers".

Edited by Athy

The service provider tells me that Windows has now reasched mk. 8 - and that this is completely different from all the previous Windows variats. He also mutters darkly about Vista (though I don't really understand why), so it looks as if Windows 7 should be my choice.

Do any other firms apart from Microsoft sell operating systems, or whatever Windows is called? I've heard of Apple but apparently you need a special, and expensive, computer, to use it.

Mr. Weasel, surely you are too modest: "bodge" computers? I'm sure you were far better than that, and presume that you mean "service/ repair/ renovate computers".

If you want to switch to Apple but don't want to break the bank a Mac Mini is the way togo in my opinion it utilises all your existing peripherals, keyboard, mouse, monitor. They are still pricey though for what you get and the same price would get you a very well spec.d PC

Mac Mini linky

Google also do

Chromebox

Cheaper BUT and it's a big but you need to be virtually permanently connected to the internet as much of the stuff you normally would keep on your own PC's hard drive is kept 'In the cloud' which basically means on their servers rather than on your own hard drive. Plus the programs you use to do things like word processing run from the internet rather than be installed on your PC. Again it utilises your existing peripherals.

Then there is Ubuntu referred to by CW this could be installed on your existing PC - nice thing it is free BUT it in my experience needs a fair bit of firtling with to get running and doesn't suit somebody with limited technical expertise. I never managed to get it running correctly on my Dell despite hours of fiddling with it, but I know people who are very happy with it and haven't experienced the same.

Windows 8 is indeed very different because the interface was revamped to be more suitable for use with touch screen devices. Hence a lot of new PC's come with screens that can be used by touching the screen aswell as using a traditional keyboard and mouse. Some new laptops also allow the screen to be completely detached from the keyboard and be used as a 'tablet' PC as well as utilising the key board if you wish.

My daughter has 8 on her new Dell lappy and I have warmed to it after initially not being that keen. Running that on a PC of your (and mines) age might be a challenge though, and 7 is probably about as far as I would be willing to go, even then that may throw up some hardware compatibility issues.

You can verify compatibility with your existing system here-

Windows 8 upgrade assiatnt

Running that will tell you what if anything might cause problems.

Edited by The Dog House

The service provider tells me that Windows has now reached mk. 8 - and that this is completely different from all the previous Windows variants. He also mutters darkly about Vista (though I don't really understand why), so it looks as if Windows 7 should be my choice.

Have a look at the Linux magazines next time you are in a newsagent. They often have free CDs containing a variant of Linux (they call them distros), and you can boot from the CD and try out Linux (of which Ubuntu is another distro) to see whether you like it. The last one I tried was called Mint, and it was pretty good. Ubuntu, though, is the leading one. Linux, of course, is free!

Although I don't use Linux myself I do use the free Microsoft Office alternative called Libre-Office (there are other versions too, notably Open Office). This is free, and available on Apple, Windows and Linux and will do pretty much anything MS Office will do (though with a few rough edges). So that is the obvious first program to get when (if) you get Linux.

I had avoided going the Linux route until now because Linux has never had good video-editing software. Now, a program called Lightworks has been released with a Linux version, so I may make the change. There have been no worthwhile improvements to Windows since XP, and none to MS Office since about 1995, and I am fed up with paying for spurious upgrades which waste time and introduce incompatibilities.

catweasel, on 27 Sept 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

I have just retired from my job of bodging old computers in a cash strapped secondary school. We used to buy four year old machines in from industry and commerce, and to us they were new. Quite often they had popped a capacitor on the motherboard, and a bit of careful soldering would get them up and running again; a bodge that we carried out many times.

Against my better judgement, I sent one of my three children to a local private school on Merseyside, where upon the usual invited tour of the school facilities, we passed through the IT department. What a joke! The equipment was antiquated to say the least and deplorable considering the amount of income the proprietor was making from the well heeled parents enrolling their precocious children there.

In complete contrast, one of my other children attended the local high school where their state of the art IT department included up to date computers and up to date software.

The owner of the private school was more interested in extending her period home with a sizable conservatory, rather than affording value for money education to her pupils. Hence, one of the contributary factors for me removing my child from her establishment!

Yes it was tongue in cheek. I get a new high end laptop (or what Dell call mobile workstations) from work every 3 years, and having just has a new one, the one before last (so 6 years old) on XP still works fine. If I were in your situation I would invest in an upgrade copy of Win 7 and rebuild it (not upgrade it), you will then get a few more years out of it.

Yes it was tongue in cheek. I get a new high end laptop (or what Dell call mobile workstations) from work every 3 years, and having just has a new one, the one before last (so 6 years old) on XP still works fine. If I were in your situation I would invest in an upgrade copy of Win 7 and rebuild it (not upgrade it), you will then get a few more years out of it.

Mike - if you got this route I can recommend this very reliable eBay seller. Have used him a few times and he is excellent.