CRT Show Anti Continuous Cruiser Hand

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Now I know where I stand I have been a Continuous Cruiser for 8 years now and have just discovered that CRT think I am simply exploiting them

The following from CRT Winter Mooring page

They recognise however that we have a problem in managing the increasing number of people licensing their boats as continuous cruisers (exploiting a clause in the 1995 Waterways Act)

That's put me in my place!!

Now I know where I stand I have been a Continuous Cruiser for 8 years now and have just discovered that CRT think I am simply exploiting them

The following from CRT Winter Mooring page

That's put me in my place!!

I get the impression though that you comply with the spirit of that act, unlike some others who just want to do the minimum movement they can get away with as a means to avoid having a home mooring - so I wouldn't take it too personally.

Tim

I read that as exploiting a clause in the Act, not exploiting CRT.

I think the problem to which they refer is people who declare they CC, then don't, citing a need to stay in one area for jobs, schools, medical treatment etc. These are the 'exploiters' who need 'managing', not you John.

MtB

I get the impression though that you comply with the spirit of that act, unlike some others who just want to do the minimum movement they can get away with as a means to avoid having a home mooring - so I wouldn't take it too personally.

Tim

Surely though the issue is the use of the word 'exploiting'

Better wording would have been -

They recognise however that we have a problem in managing the increasing number of people licensing their boats as continuous cruisers (Which is allowed under a clause in the 1995 Waterways Act)

Edited by The Dog House

It's badly written-managed. No excuses. It is intentionally aimed propoganda. Writing something like that is not accidental, its artfully inserted.

Is it really?

There are a minority who actively exploit the clause.

Now John isn't in that minority so to my mind that quote isn't aimed at ccers like John but at the few whom make no effort to stick within the guidelines thus exploiting the cc clause.

• Greenie 1

Tim

There is no spirit of the act IMO you are either complying with it or not. I can't quite see if you are exploiting it by complying which is the inference here. If you are not complying with the 65 Act then CRT should use its powers of enforcement or seek to change the Act.

Tim

Tim I know what you are saying but CRT are giving the impression that ALL Continuous Cruisers have chosen the lifestyle to exploit the 1995 Act. On the Continuous Cruiser facebook page we have at least 200 Continuous Cruisers who do comply.

Is it really?

Now John isn't in that minority so to my mind that quote isn't aimed at ccers like John but at the few whom make no effort to stick within the guidelines thus exploiting the cc clause.

Lol.

Is it really?

There are a minority but it does not say that it lumps all Continuous Cruisers in the same basket, all this does is put in the mind of a lot of baoters that Continuous Cruisers are simply living this lifestyle to exploit the said act

Is it really?

Not really I read it as any body who registers as a CC'er is 'exploiting' the clause. It implies 'something for nothing'.

(But as ever written comms. can sometimes be read differently by different people. It should have been worded differently.)

Not really I read it as any body who registers as a CC'er is 'exploiting' the clause. It implies 'something for nothing'.

(But as ever written comms. can sometimes be read differently by different people. It should have been worded differently.)

Martin it is all about communication. I and others have been telling CRT they need to improve their communication skills, but I fear at times they are saying what they think and I remain to be convinced that CRT do not have an anti Continuous Cruiser agenda

"Exploit" is a word whose meaning can be determined by the reader according to their preconceptions. Eg the first definition on t'internet is:

Verb

Make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource): "500 companies sprang up to exploit this new technology".

With this meaning, there is no concept of malpractice or stretching the rules beyond that intended.

Other definitions are available for those wishing for them!

• Greenie 2

Tim I know what you are saying but CRT are giving the impression that ALL Continuous Cruisers have chosen the lifestyle to exploit the 1995 Act.

And what is wrong with that? I also exploit the act, by getting a home mooring to avoid having to CC all the time.

MtB

Martin it is all about communication. I and others have been telling CRT they need to improve their communication skills, but I fear at times they are saying what they think and I remain to be convinced that CRT do not have an anti Continuous Cruiser agenda

I'm reading it the same way as you, but it's interesting that others on here are not -

I wonder how they test out their comms?

We used to have a small group of patients/carers who we used to run communications past before it went out on a wider scale - in order to avoid this type of problem.

After being a marina moorer since 1995 and then for 15 years living in a marina in order to be on site whilst operating a business, my wife and I have long anticipated the time when we could "up anchor" as it were and begin at last to enjoy all that our wonderful inland waterways has to offer, I find myself now having to reconsider and re-evaluate where we go from here.

For the first time we have had a taste of realising our long held dream. We have cruised continuously from mid May to the present time, never staying more than a few days in any one location. We have sampled the delights of the Macclesfield, Trent & Mersey, Staffs & Worcs, the rivers Severn and Avon, the Gloucester & Sharpness, the Stratford, Grand Union, Regents and the Thames (including the Tideway), the Oxford and Coventry Canals and we are now heading for the Shroppie. Earlier, in March we took a boat from Macclesfield down to Newbury on the K & A.

All of the above demonstrated to us that we are still fit enough to achieve our dream. It has been an absolute delight and confirmed our belief that a few years continuous cruising would further enhance our experience. But now, I wonder. Am I to be "exploiting" loopholes in legislation that specifically provides for bona-fide continuous cruising? Am I to be regarded as someone who is "bucking the system" and pushing the boundaries?

During all my time connected with the Inland Waterways, I have always played by the rules, paid my way and despite the many shortcomings of BW in the past and CaRT at present, I have always been appreciative of the good work that has been done. Now I feel betrayed and marginalised and seriously wonder if it is worth the hassle.

• Greenie 1

I'm reading it the same way as you, but it's interesting that others on here are not -

I wonder how they test out their comms?

We used to have a small group of patients/carers who we used to run communications past before it went out on a wider scale - in order to avoid this type of problem.

I find it interesting that some are reading this as an insult. I don't read it as one.

Methinks some people worry too much:)

SNIPPED

During all my time connected with the Inland Waterways, I have always played by the rules, paid my way and despite the many shortcomings of BW in the past and CaRT at present, I have always been appreciative of the good work that has been done. Now I feel betrayed and marginalised and seriously wonder if it is worth the hassle.

On the basis of a sentance from CaRT that possibly is badly worded?

Why not just get on with it - you are not doing anything wrong!

After being a marina moorer since 1995 and then for 15 years living in a marina in order to be on site whilst operating a business, my wife and I have long anticipated the time when we could "up anchor" as it were and begin at last to enjoy all that our wonderful inland waterways has to offer, I find myself now having to reconsider and re-evaluate where we go from here.

For the first time we have had a taste of realising our long held dream. We have cruised continuously from mid May to the present time, never staying more than a few days in any one location. We have sampled the delights of the Macclesfield, Trent & Mersey, Staffs & Worcs, the rivers Severn and Avon, the Gloucester & Sharpness, the Stratford, Grand Union, Regents and the Thames (including the Tideway), the Oxford and Coventry Canals and we are now heading for the Shroppie. Earlier, in March we took a boat from Macclesfield down to Newbury on the K & A.

All of the above demonstrated to us that we are still fit enough to achieve our dream. It has been an absolute delight and confirmed our belief that a few years continuous cruising would further enhance our experience. But now, I wonder. Am I to be "exploiting" loopholes in legislation that specifically provides for bona-fide continuous cruising? Am I to be regarded as someone who is "bucking the system" and pushing the boundaries?

The short answer is no. You are quite obviously a continuous cruiser by any definition.

Despite the protestations of some, I think we can all point to boats that rarely, if ever move and if the term Continuous Moorer or bridge hopper is applied to them, and they object, so be it.

George ex nb Alton retired