Self Pumpouts should be banned

DeanS

Featured Posts

Greenies are all very well, but this thread has shown we need a new level of award - a brownie, worth 2 greenies and only available for award where the posting contains suitably scatalogical terminology.

Im sure Tesla could design a suitable filter.........

I may be wrong but I'd be surprised if a pump out can block it. Ours is gravy when it comes out. It may have been a few lumps from a cassette that had blocked it in the first place and then the pumpout couldn't flow. Maybe. Just saying. Tongue in cheek, sort of.

I have always assumed (though may be wrong) that based on the amount of times pumping out into Elsans seems to cause a problem, that it is more to do with the sheer volume of "stuff" being pumped out within a short period of time that does it, and if the Elsan backs up or blocks part way through, I am not sure how swiftly you can stop the thing.

Well bloody done Dean on cleaning it up, that is well above and beyond the call of duty. I trust you have kept the pictures to use to scare the kids with as a potential punishment task if they are really bad? biggrin.png

Edited by Starcoaster

I have always assumed (though may be wrong) that based on the amount of times pumping out into Elsans seems to cause a problem, that it is more to do with the sheer volume of "stuff" being pumped out within a short period of time that does it, and if the Elsan backs up or blocks part way through, I am not sure how swiftly you can stop the thing.

Well bloody done Dean on cleaning it up, that is well above and beyond the call of duty. I trust you have kept the pictures to use to scare the kids with as a potential punishment task if they are really bad? biggrin.png

Stopping our pump out involved flicking a switch so instantaneous. Hand pumps would be as quick.

Ah, for some reason I thought they were all hand-manned, and when you had the siphon going it was not that easy to stop.

Having experience of a self pump out, how do you think it happens, other than people just carrying on regardless when they see they are making a mess?

Edited by Starcoaster

Greenies are all very well, but this thread has shown we need a new level of award - a brownie, worth 2 greenies and only available for award where the posting contains suitably scatalogical terminology.

Im sure Tesla could design a suitable filter.........

I don't think so, this thread is making me feel sick, and the last time that happened I blocked the toilet...

Ah, for some reason I thought they were all hand-manned, and when you had the siphon going it was not that easy to stop.

Having experience of a self pump out, how do you think it happens, other than people just carrying on regardless when they see they are making a mess?

I think some people put rubbish down the elsan. Also people with cassettes will continue to empty them in a blocked facility.

That is not my point at all - CRT get enough stick on here for things they do or don't do, they don't need to be held responsible for things that are not their fault or responsibility.

No Martin - I know it wasn't. I was kind of wiping my feet with a cloth saturated with 'exoneration' subsequent to my prior comment. Was not having a dig at theee (serious!)

Morning. Dean cleared a blockage with a hose pipe. I think if it was just full then it would have overflowed. There must have been a lump ? of some sorts. The people who pumped out may not have blocked it. There's no excuse for leaving it like that though. Dirty gits.

I think some people put rubbish down the elsan. Also people with cassettes will continue to empty them in a blocked facility.

I haven't got a self pump out kit but I know how they work. A length of lay flat hose isn't easy to control. It should have a short length of hard pipe shoved up it secured with a jubilee clip so it can be held firmly and pushed part way forward the elsan (assuming its a facility that allows it ) A bit of scaffold tube about 18" long would be idea and give it a bit of weight to stop it being pushed back out. Someone should be standing by to switch it off if anything goes wrong.

I haven't got a self pump out kit but I know how they work. A length of lay flat hose isn't easy to control. It should have a short length of hard pipe shoved up it secured with a jubilee clip so it can be held firmly and pushed part way forward the elsan (assuming its a facility that allows it ) A bit of scaffold tube about 18" long would be idea and give it a bit of weight to stop it being pushed back out. Someone should be standing by to switch it off if anything goes wrong.

Isn't that the way it's usually done? It's certainly the way we did it

IMO Elsan points need to be upgraded as part of planned maintenance and as funds permit to make self pump out easier and therefore more acceptable obviating the issues raised in this thread.

ETA I only joined in to put this view in case CaRT's reading this to see what new rules it can impose

Edited by blodger

So what do these people do then? Just asking.

What do you do?

The argument "Others are just as bad as me so I'll carry on regardless" is merely an admission of guilt, not a valid defence.

Have you ever heard the expression "Two wrongs do not make a right."?

What do you do?

The argument "Others are just as bad as me so I'll carry on regardless" is merely an admission of guilt, not a valid defence.

Have you ever heard the expression "Two wrongs do not make a right."?

Flush it into my holding tank then when it's full I pump it out at the pump out station, the same as a lot of people.

So why should "these people" be any different?

Because 'these' people who don't conform to the regs so to speak, don't use the sanitary stations all the time or maybe even never. We aren't speaking about the ones that do. Or do you think that everyone conforms?

Another observation......we were moored about 50ft from the elsan point (offside of canal), and were inside our boat...and the whiff that arrived when they started their pump out....was far worse...even at that distance....than I have ever experienced with a casette. Even if it's once a month or two, I would never enjoy having to stand closer than 50ft while doing a pump out....WHAT A PONG

Because 'these' people who don't conform to the regs so to speak, don't use the sanitary stations all the time or maybe even never. We aren't speaking about the ones that do. Or do you think that everyone conforms?

How do you know they don't use sanitary stations?

Having spent over 30 years boating, 10 of them as a liveaboard (quite possibly fitting your notion of "these people") I have yet to see someone empty a toilet into the cut.

Non-conformism is not the same as not caring.

I imagine anyone who doesn't care about their immediate environment, whether fitting your stereotype or not, just tips their crap in the cut but I have yet to witness it.