widebeam licence fee

sooty

Featured Posts

Maybe licence fees should be based on how deep a boat sits in the water...

deep boats keep the system clear, at the expense of their base plates. Long boats can't explore the whole system either. surely its only time till wide boats are charged more, after all it for charity! When you pay more for two historic boats and more and more wide boats seem to be on the system, you can surely see my point! I'm not picking on wide boats but the system must be fair. I think that any boat before 1973 should be free like road tax!

I suppose if they charged more for wide boats they would have to make the whole system available to 2 NB width. Imagine the cost of that!

surely its the space over the water that should count. Just like everything else's in this country. Boating is changing just like everything else. Not for the good. I think that a lot of genuine boaters will be scared away due to costs over the next few Years Edited by BenC

Widebeams pay the same licence as a narrow beam, thus widebeams pay towards the whole system, just as a narrowboat does. However, widebeam owners dont tend to moan about that, even though they are subsidizing those who have a narrowboat ;-)

Widebeams pay the same licence as a narrow beam, thus widebeams pay towards the whole system, just as a narrowboat does. However, widebeam owners dont tend to moan about that, even though they are subsidizing those who have a narrowboat ;-)

two narrow boats in a lock, one wide beam! Twice as much water being pumped, therefore twice the licence. But, it should be the surface area, or a percentage of. Surely you can see my point

I'm not for charging any boater more money, but its now only time. I pay time and a half for a pair, why? If a wide beam pays one license? I'm restricted on the system, and very rarely take both boats, less these days then I'd like to! Wide beams are entering the system more and more, flats in the south east. It will happen that they have to pay more in the future

Edited by BenC

Of course i'm right. Why is it ok to charge a longer boat more than a shorter boat, but not ok to charge a wider boat more than a narrow boat?

Well?

Well seeing as how you asked and just my thoughts:-

I would imagine that if one can afford a longer boat (when new) they must have more money. Length costs. Much like more expensive bigger engined, 4x4's and the like get to pay more road tax now days under the guise of CO2 emissions.

Have a google around the France issue. Loads of people were up in arms over it.

I'm sure it will happen here sooner or later. Marinas charge more even on linear mooring. I can see how it would work on an inside moorings though.

On the Thames from memory the licence was based on square feet this was to make cabin cruisers pay more I was told. The trouble was I took up that much bank when mooring it didnt seem fair all that length and no width nobody else could park up

Peter