Today's Buying Advice

rolyhammond

Featured Posts

Mixed messages throughout!

Cut deep beneath those of you who appear to be providing "constructive" criticism, is a more sinister bitter ignorance completely contrary to the good nature and community boaters are associated with.

To those of you who have been genuine and provided sound advice, I thank you and rest assured I have actioned your suggestions and advice. I have seen everything necessary to see this as a legitimate transaction, only backed up with the required documents.

Just bear in mind that although you appear to be happy to ignore the absense of a RCD compliance certificate, when you come to sell it, many potential buyers will not be so laid back about it, meaning it may be rather difficult to sell.

MtB

Cut deep beneath those of you who appear to be providing "constructive" criticism, is a more sinister bitter ignorance completely contrary to the good nature and community boaters are associated with.

Ooh! I suggest that comment's somewhat harsh and, more importantly, unwarranted .

It may be all too easy to accept complimentary comments and suggestions from folks, but to dismiss those whom have signalled a warning as "sinister bitter ignorance" may be a dangerous dismissal.

It may be that some of the warnings have been over-cautious, but equally, they may not be.

You have solicited opinions from many folks unknown to you, and most you will never meet, their opinions and beliefs will vary, of course, but some of them will likely be spot-on.

Choose wisely, and also consider carefully before you alienate.

Ooh! I suggest that comment's somewhat harsh and, more importantly, unwarranted .

It may be all too easy to accept complimentary comments and suggestions from folks, but to dismiss those whom have signalled a warning as "sinister bitter ignorance" may be a dangerous dismissal.

It may be that some of the warnings have been over-cautious, but equally, they may not be.

You have solicited opinions from many folks unknown to you, and most you will never meet, their opinions and beliefs will vary, of course, but some of them will likely be spot-on.

Choose wisely, and also consider carefully before you alienate.

Wise words Mr Favour

To the OP my advice (for what it's worth) would be to buy an older, cheaper boat for your first boat. After a year or two of ownership you'll have a much better idea of what you really want/need and the potential pitfalls.

After that rant I was wondering if the OP was related to Poco.

MtB

Come now, such a suggestion would smack of bitter ignorance.

Roly, to be serious, at least one of the posters whom you accuse of "bitter ignorance" is an extremely experienced boater who is simply trying to prevent you from entering into a transaction which may end up harming you or your bank account. He may perhaps be over-cautious, but you have been warned.

A moorer here bought the first boat they viewed ( wide beam ) and regret it, stuck here on River Nene with limited travel either way. Only way to move it up on the GU is going to cost them £5K .the only marina able to accommodate the lifting of it on to a lorry, want a years mooring just for the day, then hire of lorry for moving etc.

This is surprising. Surely, as the Nene and the Middle Levels locks are quite wide, your friend could travel down to the Great Ouse, where the locks are also wide?

Not sure if they have tried Fox's Marina, they have their own boat lift.

Off topic, but since the new technology came to this forum, is anybody else having trouble with aspects of the reply function? Often when I reply to a post, my answer comes out either in italic or crossed through. These faults I can correct. But sometimes, as has happened here, my answer appears in very small print. Highlighting it and choosing a bigger font size has no effect whatsoever. Sometimes all the options such as font size, smileys etc. shown above the answer space appear hazy and cannot be used. Is it just me?

This is surprising. Surely, as the Nene and the Middle Levels locks are quite wide, your friend could travel down to the Great Ouse, where the locks are also wide?

Off topic, but since the new technology came to this forum, is anybody else having trouble with aspects of the reply function? Often when I reply to a post, my answer comes out either in italic or crossed through. These faults I can correct. But sometimes, as has happened here, my answer appears in very small print. Highlighting it and choosing a bigger font size has no effect whatsoever. Sometimes all the options such as font size, smileys etc. shown above the answer space appear hazy and cannot be used. Is it just me?

I've no idea what you jst said there, the writing is too small for me to be able to read.

If you check the code of what you write (it's the light switch icon, top left of the menu bar), all of your post is wrapped in sub tags:

[quote name="Athy" post="1129191" timestamp="1377329260"]
[sub]This is surprising. Surely, as the Nene and the Middle Levels locks are quite wide, your friend could travel down to the Great Ouse, where the locks are also wide?[/sub]
[sub]Not sure if they have tried Fox's Marina, they have their own boat lift.[/sub]

[sub]Off topic, but since the new technology came to this forum, is anybody else having trouble with aspects of the reply function? Often when I reply to a post, my answer comes out either in italic or crossed through. These faults I can correct. But sometimes, as has happened here, my answer appears in very small print. Highlighting it and choosing a bigger font size has no effect whatsoever. Sometimes all the options such as font size, smileys etc. shown above the answer space appear hazy and cannot be used. Is it just me?[/sub]
[/quote]

I don't know what that means or how it happens. It is a clue though

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I'm using a normal sort of computer (which, on this occasion, has decided to print my post in a sensibly-sized font). The problem appears to be entirely random.

Edited by Athy

A moorer here bought the first boat they viewed ( wide beam ) and regret it, stuck here on River Nene with limited travel either way. Only way to move it up on the GU is going to cost them £5K .the only marina able to accommodate the lifting of it on to a lorry, want a years mooring just for the day, then hire of lorry for moving etc.

I know of a couple of boats that have been lifted at Wisbech, one in and out and I am sure they didnt pay a years mooring. Straight run down the Nene

To those of you who have been genuine and provided sound advice, I thank you and rest assured I have actioned your suggestions and advice. I have seen everything necessary to see this as a legitimate transaction, only backed up with the required documents

I really don't know what you mean by "sinister bitter ignorance". There's nothing in any of the posts I've read, including, ahem, my own, that could be interpreted in that way. If you are referencing that some of us have been a little forthright in our opinions because we have seen far too many examples of newcomers getting their fingers burnt, fair enough, but you could have chosen your words more carefully, certainly if you want any more advice from this forum.

Believe me, over caution is a very good thing in the boating world, none of us wants to be in a position to say I told you so.

Take Ange's advice - you'll also have more fun that way.