Can we learn a lesson from "CRT No Longer Wish To Meet With Boaters"

RockSodem

Featured Posts

Well... What can I say?

I may or maybe not be new to all of this, but I am certainly not new to the art of communications and forums, and quite frankly, the above thread is an embarrassment to the canalworld community, and I want nothing to do with it.. I will keep this short... open up the above thread and you are given an out of context, sensationalist, comment then read through six or seven pages of misguided shite (no offense to the posters), but PLEASE, could not ANYONE see a quote out of place. For Gods sake. The very first post!!! , The CRT read this! It is great that they do, but how embarrassing that they've had to go through pages and pages of misguided bo#locks created by poor use of a quote. I'm sorry.... but it is.

On a more constructive note, let us all THINK before we post or reply on contentious issues

• Greenie 1

Well... What can I say?

I may or maybe not be new to all of this, but I am certainly not new to the art of communications and forums, and quite frankly, the above thread is an embarrassment to the canalworld community, and I want nothing to do with it.. I will keep this short... open up the above thread and you are given an out of context, sensationalist, comment then read through six or seven pages of misguided shite (no offense to the posters), but PLEASE, could not ANYONE see a quote out of place. For Gods sake. The very first post!!! , The CRT read this! It is great that they do, but how embarrassing that they've had to go through pages and pages of misguided bo#locks created by poor use of a quote. I'm sorry.... but it is.

On a more constructive note, let us all THINK before we post or reply on contentious issues

Everyone who posted pays a good deal of cash to be on the canals, and have a right to express their frustrations. Some, like myself, found time out of a busy schedule to go to 2 meetings round the country (by train and catching lifts with other boaters who made similar sacrifices to offer their input). Meetings which were arranged as an expanding network of meetings between boaters and CRT, which were financed mainly from boaters own pockets...so that issues which affected all boaters could be discussed face to face with CRT. When people like John have put in hours of their own time, it's not fair to start a thread judging what was posted. It's a hot topic...over 11000 views in just a few days....many might not comment, but many are interested in knowing whether CRT are wanting to talk to boaters or not. Many might not get the grammer correct, but that's really not the point. If CRT will only talk to boaters who have an A in English Grammer, we're doomed :)

Well... What can I say?

(shrugs)

Well... What can I say?

I genuinely think you may not have been closely enough involved in any of this to fully realise what has gone on here, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

This is about far, far more than whether someone has managed to quote something without giving the full context, and not a lot of what has been said is actually "misguided shite".

I know John, and just how hard he has worked at things, spending large amounts of his own time and money in a completely selfless way. trying to do things largely for the benefit of others.

So far as I know he has done nothing beyond firmly speaking his mind on topics that he feels strongly about, and I can see no reason for CRT to suddenly say they no longer want to embrace the type of dialogue they have been actively encouraging up until now. It simply makes no sense for them to do so, and I hope they change their minds.

I don't actually think your lecture is helpful, but as I say, I'll excuse you for probably knowing very little of the background.

• Greenie 1

Well... What can I say?

What is THINK?

After many drinks I can't quite fathom out what that means!

I will conduct a survey amongst the Lincoln City Yoof tonight and see if we can come up with a meaning for THINK.

Everyone who posted pays a good deal of cash to be on the canals, and have a right to express their frustrations. Some, like myself, found time out of a busy schedule to go to 2 meetings round the country (by train and catching lifts with other boaters who made similar sacrifices to offer their input). Meetings which were arranged as an expanding network of meetings between boaters and CRT, which were financed mainly from boaters own pockets...so that issues which affected all boaters could be discussed face to face with CRT. When people like John have put in hours of their own time, it's not fair to start a thread judging what was posted. It's a hot topic...over 11000 views in just a few days....many might not comment, but many are interested in knowing whether CRT are wanting to talk to boaters or not. Many might not get the grammer correct, but that's really not the point. If CRT will only talk to boaters who have an A in English Grammer, we're doomed smile.png

I really appreciate your constructive post. And to a large degree, I take back what I said. But this post just demonstrates how chaotic things are and the CRT get slagged off for disengaging. I'm sorry... but no wonder!!! People come out with their pitchforks, and quite frankly, it's embarrasing to read a CRT endorsed post in the middle of it all, calming things down. It's not a lot different to a school playground.

I am a "newbie". I'm a "junior" as someone has gleefully pointed out and that just sums up much of the attitude of many on this forum. People who probably slag off and turn their noses up at hire boats?! People who don't understand the value of the "10 million" tow path users. "Free"?. You idiots.

I am deliberately being the devils advocate here, but it needs to be done. People are doing damage here on this forum more than anywhere else.

I am a massive advocate of boats on the canal, it's navigation and maintaining the "heritage". But what is the "heritage"? A canal for the miserable, illiterate families living on their boats in the past. A canal for rich (I know... sweeping statement) boaters, their custom tugs and their vintage engines, or for boats hauled by horse carrying coal (none of those)? Or people using it as a form of affordable housing? Or giving access to the millions that were denied access for decades and decades as it was private property, polluted in many areas when it was working. Who has the right? Who has the voice?? Heritage? It was a dirty, closed off cut. Who, of many of the boater on here, got their hands dirty restoring the canal going through their local community? I am sure there are some..... But many who got their hands dirty restoring the canals, weren't thinking wholly about boats. They were thinking about the "amenity" that was going through their community. The sooner boaters began to realise that they are not the "raison d'etre" the better, and the quicker the CRT and other authorities may start to come onside and take them a little more seriously. Boaters have to understand that the canals are not about boats anymore and quite frankly, boats disappeared out the equation 90 years ago. Get over it, and work with the CRT and understand that their agenda is bigger than yours.

Your first post was poorly thought out and showed a lack of understanding of the situation but eh, it is complex.

However, your second post is just rude and douchey.

Who do you think will listen to you now?

Pardon? I'm sorry, I can't hear you over all the insults.

• Greenie 1

I really appreciate your constructive post. And to a large degree, I take back what I said. But this post just demonstrates how chaotic things are and the CRT get slagged off for disengaging. I'm sorry... but no wonder!!! People come out with their pitchforks, and quite frankly, it's embarrasing to read a CRT endorsed post in the middle of it all, calming things down. It's not a lot different to a school playground.

I am a "newbie". I'm a "junior" as someone has gleefully pointed out and that just sums up much of the attitude of many on this forum. People who probably slag off and turn their noses up at hire boats?! People who don't understand the value of the "10 million" tow path users. "Free"?. You idiots.

I am deliberately being the devils advocate here, but it needs to be done. People are doing damage here on this forum more than anywhere else.

I am a massive advocate of boats on the canal, it's navigation and maintaining the "heritage". But what is the "heritage"? A canal for the miserable, illiterate families living on their boats in the past. A canal for rich (I know... sweeping statement) boaters, their custom tugs and their vintage engines, or for boats hauled by horse carrying coal (none of those)? Or people using it as a form of affordable housing? Or giving access to the millions that were denied access for decades and decades as it was private property, polluted in many areas when it was working. Who has the right? Who has the voice?? Heritage? It was a dirty, closed off cut. Who, of many of the boater on here, got their hands dirty restoring the canal going through their local community? I am sure there are some..... But many who got their hands dirty restoring the canals, weren't thinking wholly about boats. They were thinking about the "amenity" that was going through their community. The sooner boaters began to realise that they are not the "raison d'etre" the better, and the quicker the CRT and other authorities may start to come onside and take them a little more seriously. Boaters have to understand that the canals are not about boats anymore and quite frankly, boats disappeared out the equation 90 years ago. Get over it, and work with the CRT and understand that their agenda is bigger than yours.

I'll ask the question again what position do you hold in CRT

Your ID name "RockSodem" says it all. Unidentifiable "junior" member as usual, use your real name if you mean business.

I'll second that.

RockSodem, post your real name and/or your boat name instead of hiding behind anonymity if you want be taken seriously.

MtB

I'll ask the question again what position do you hold in CRT

LOL. I assure you davidc, I am absolutely nothing to do with the CRT or any other agency. I am a canal user like most others here, and soon to be a trader. I really don't want to offend people, and I have made the mistake of offending the OP of the subject post, and that really wasn't my intention. I really do want what most people here want, but I understand that debates like the originating post that then get hysterical are damaging, and it frustrates me that people cannot see that.

LOL. I assure you davidc, I am absolutely nothing to do with the CRT or any other agency. I am a canal user like most others here, and soon to be a trader. I really don't want to offend people, and I have made the mistake of offending the OP of the subject post, and that really wasn't my intention. I really do want what most people here want, but I understand that debates like the originating post that then get hysterical are damaging, and it frustrates me that people cannot see that.

Ok. I'll be in Newbury in a few days. Let's meet up and talk because I think your original post is appalling. Anyone else going to be local and want to join in?

Ps My first greenie ever went to Dean

Edited by Dr Bradley

sorry I do not believe you. suddenly your are same as us have the same aims

the difference in you posts to this one tell it all.

you have tried to stir things up.

who are you really.

Oh GOD! Conspiracy theories on The Cut! Please!! OK, I am using "rousing" language, but that is only because I am angry and frustrated. In a very bad fashion, it seems, I'm trying to get people (or the cut) to look back in on themselves and see themselves in the bigger picture. We, or you, bla bla bla, as boaters are not the most important thing on the canal! That is what I believe and I'm sorry. I am a boater, I am not CRT and that is what I believe. This is a forum is it not? And that is my view. I'm sorry that you think I'm hiding behind anonymity, but I am employed on the canal (NOT CRT or anything even closely resembling that), so I have my job to look out for. My view are my own view.

Ok. I'll be in Newbury in a few days. Let's meet up and talk because I think your original post is appalling. Anyone else going to be local and want to join in?

Ps My first greenie ever went to Dean

I'm happy to meet anyone who's near Hungerford next week and be corrected. Coffee, tea or ale. No bare knuckles!!

Indeed........

so why didn't you?

You are hardly going to engender support for your view if you launch a thread peppered with misguided insults aimed at other members contributions, nor are you going to redeem it by saying 'oh no offence intended' when in fact offence is clearly what you intended to cause.

As has been pointed out there is a long history to the issue and feelings run high, as I pointed out to you in the thread in question reading it was not compulsory.

Anyway you ain't getting any more food from me.

It's a pity people aren't allowed an alternative view on this forum. It gives the skewed result of a few thinking that everyone agrees with them and that they are right. Many read but don't post, it doesn't mean they agree

It's a pity people aren't allowed an alternative view on this forum. It gives the skewed result of a few thinking that everyone agrees with them and that they are right. Many read but don't post, it doesn't mean they agree

Where has any body said an alternate view is not allowed??