Shopping trolleys damage boat In Kidderminster

Puckle

Featured Posts

A NB had it prop and rudder damage on Wednesday on the Staff & Worc after a whole string of shopping trolleys were thrown in the canal next to Sainsbury's in Kidderminster. Apparently the store knew about it the night before and done nothing about it. But the good news is they have offered to pay for the damage to the NB

Edited by Puckle

The trolleys are a permanent feature in the cut outside Tesco at Kiddi.

A new smartphone app could finally solve the scourge of trolleys in the canal and the damage they cause. The Trolleywise app - available for Apple and Android devices - lets users send photos of abandoned trolleys along with their GPS locations to a national collection service. A Trolleywise van can then be sent to the location to recover the trolley and return it to nearby supermarkets.

Would they not be legally responsible for the trolleys? When i had some goods stolen from my works which were later found dumped i was informed that i was responsible for having the goods removed from where they were found.

Ian.

Interesting point. With your goods, would you of been responsible if someone tripped over them and hurt themselves?

A new smartphone app could finally solve the scourge of trolleys in the canal and the damage they cause. The Trolleywise app - available for Apple and Android devices - lets users send photos of abandoned trolleys along with their GPS locations to a national collection service. A Trolleywise van can then be sent to the location to recover the trolley and return it to nearby supermarkets.

Well they put those security tags on goods, why can't they fit something to the trolleys? They could have a narrowboat suspended over the exits, drops on to your head when a trolley is about to be liberated from the supermarket site.

The trolley wise people (well one man) was there when we went past on thursady. He had a rope attached to the trolleys but had yet to figure out how to get them out with there being so many attatched, he said about 10. Taking a photo is a good idea if they are abandoned by the canal but not much use if they are below the water as these were. Still nice to see that this scheme works, having ssen a worker in the flesh i am more inclined too use the app if i come across a stray trolley. Glad the boat will be sorted at no additional cost to the owner.

Being a "newbie" I am not sure how much merit my answer has but would it be possible to document trolley black spots on the forum--a red alert system when using certain parts of the canal systems? I would guess there are areas such as Kidderminster as stated above that have more problems.

Being a "newbie" I am not sure how much merit my answer has but would it be possible to document trolley black spots on the forum--a red alert system when using certain parts of the canal systems? I would guess there are areas such as Kidderminster as stated above that have more problems.

Get a map of the canal system and fill it in in black. It feel like that if you have a deep drafted boat.

You could also do it for chain link fence dumping spots, tyres, traffic cones, bikes,,,, I give up.

Why are they paying?

Did someone a few years back take Tesco? to court and win over damage to his boat due to running over a shopping trolley?

No doubt someone with a better memory than me will know more.

"Get a map of the canal system and fill it in in black. It feel like that if you have a deep drafted boat.
You could also do it for chain link fence dumping spots, tyres, traffic cones, bikes,,,, I give up."

OK point taken. Waterways = waste ways. frusty.gif

"Get a map of the canal system and fill it in in black. It feel like that if you have a deep drafted boat.

You could also do it for chain link fence dumping spots, tyres, traffic cones, bikes,,,, I give up."

If you have clear water it also has it's own fasination seeing just what is down on the bottom of the canal.

Well not quite.

But parts to be aware of are approaching bridges in or close to urban areas - the ease with which large objects can be dropped into the canal from a bridge sometimes means you will encounter a TV/fridge/trolley there rather than anywhere else.

Did someone a few years back take Tesco? to court and win over damage to his boat due to running over a shopping trolley?

No doubt someone with a better memory than me will know more.

No, the man went to customer services at Tesco and they paid him. I think it was at Rugby.

:)

• Greenie 1

Interesting point. With your goods, would you of been responsible if someone tripped over them and hurt themselves?

I would say ...only if the goods (and the risk that they present) were under your control.

If you don't know that a risk exists it is difficult to do anything about it.

If the supermarket knew about the trolleys in the canal and did not remove them, or took no steps to remove or minimise the risk they presented, it is very likely that they would be held liable for any consequential damage.

Edited by Pilly

I think if he had seen them he wouldn't have run over them, so no way could he have photoed them and reported them

Would they not be legally responsible for the trolleys? When i had some goods stolen from my works which were later found dumped i was informed that i was responsible for having the goods removed from where they were found.

Ian.

That is the same if you pay someone to remove hazardous waste and they in turn fly tip it.

A little off topic but not only trolleys go missing, just returned from taking mum to shops and someone had stole the only wheelchair that a Tesco 24hr hyper-store had that was in working condition. So back in car and went to Asda.

If there was a canal near my mums they would steal the water. What is wrong with people....

No, the man went to customer services at Tesco and they paid him. I think it was at Rugby.

smile.png

ISTR the court case was in Lady Muck's territory – on the Lee somewhere?

Tesco was found guilty and fined under the "polluter pays" statute because they had failed to take any steps to reduce the risk of the trolleys being stolen and dumped in the cut, such as putting coin locks or self locking wheels on them.

It's very likely confabulation, but I have a memory that defence counsel explained that Tesco estimated they would lose around £10k a year by making the trolleys harder to access, and the judge said "I'll make it easy for you" and fined them £20 grand.

ISTR the court case was in Lady Muck's territory – on the Lee somewhere?

Tesco was found guilty and fined under the "polluter pays" statute because they had failed to take any steps to reduce the risk of the trolleys being stolen and dumped in the cut, such as putting coin locks or self locking wheels on them.

It's very likely confabulation, but I have a memory that defence counsel explained that Tesco estimated they would lose around £10k a year by making the trolleys harder to access, and the judge said "I'll make it easy for you" and fined them £20 grand.

If indeed correct that is a bit of a daft argument by them considering how much a shopping trolley costs. I'm sure I've read they run to around £100 each.

Surely better to invest a bit to stop them getting nicked.

Edited by The Dog House