Soft Ropes

Pete & Helen

Featured Posts

When mooring lines start to get stiff and cause difficulty tying, is there a way to soften them up again?

I'm assuming that they have been made from a natural material like sisal

Jim Woodall the Wherry skipper in the book Swallows and Amazons 'Coot club' towed his new or old hemp and grass ropes in the water behind him for a while, ''it washes em and takes the viciousness out of em'' he said. I've tried it with mine and it does work. Clever old chap was Arthur Ransome.

I've had good results by putting the ropes in a pillow case and then into the washing machine.

This works very well but don't be tempted to use fabric conditioner, that works to well all the splicing comes undone and the ropes go all floppy.

..........Dave

If they are really stiff then probably nylon

Its all caused by UV not much you can do.

Not necessarily. Ours have gone stiff due to being covered in salt water. We will bring them home and stick them in the washing machine. In the meantime the rain is rinsing them!

Thanks for the ideas. Its not nylon or been in salt water so will try giving it a good soaking in a bucket of water or even the washing machine. Its only a short back mooring rope thats gone like this so not too much of a problem

Thanks for the ideas. Its not nylon or been in salt water so will try giving it a good soaking in a bucket of water or even the washing machine. Its only a short back mooring rope thats gone like this so not too much of a problem

Tow em, it flips them about naturally, they wriggle in the water like an Eel.

Naturally? Sorry to be picky, but I don't think pulling a rope behind a boat propelled by a diesel engine is any more natural than putting it in a washing machine.

Well, Jim Woodalls Wherry was sail and quant pole powered only. But in days of yore in the sailing ship days and into steam powered ships days, the ships ''distance run through the water'' log was powered by towing a rope that was spun around dizzily in the ships wake due to the ropes twist lay and drove the log.

And get round your prop - that'll work!

It will work, wait until its fully wound on then stop the engine and pull hard on the rope, this will provide you with quite a bit of free forward propulsion as it unwinds. closedeyes.gif