1979 H&l Hull Survey...to Be Expected?

Capt.Golightly

Featured Posts

My feeling is that this is par for the course on a 35 year old boat and so long as the vendor is willing to include this work in the £19500 price we can proceed..any thoughts gratefully received.

Hull Structure 1979 Hancock and Lane.
The hull is constructed of mild steel.
The plate’s original thickness appears to have been thus:
Bottom Plate 6mm.
Side Plates 5mm.
Swim plate 5mm
Cabin roof 3mm.
Cabin sides 3mm
This type of narrow boat is built up from three flat bottom plates; the sides being butt welded onto the
base and raked in aft, under the swim plate to enhance propulsion and steerage. The crafts base plate is
fitted with a short stub centre keel, approximately 3” in depth.
There is a continuous convex steel rubbing strake, approximately 12” below the gunwale, plus another
two short ones around the bow and the stern.
In the areas that could be viewed, no sign of stress-cracking or serious damage was noted on any of the
welds.
The structure was thickness tested in several areas, approximately 2’ intervals using a "Cygnus 2"
ultrasonic gauge and the readings indicated that metal loss was fair, although corrosive pitting was
evident on the underside.
The readings taken on the bottom plate ranged between 5.25mm and 5.9mm. The sides ranged from
4.5mm and 5mm and the swim plate measured 4.7mm at its lowest point.
With the external hull surface showing no obvious evidence of undue distortion or flexing, it would
appear that the hull design structure has provided correct and adequate support for the hull shell.
Surface pitting was evident on the base plates and side plates. Several random pits were up to 2.5mm in
depth (several pits have previously been welded on the base).
A small area of paint and surface corrosion was removed from the weed hatch tube which revealed a hole
(Leaking water). The base of the deck drain tubes were also corroded at the swim plate.
The only through hull fitting below the waterline was the inlet for the engine cooling which was a mud
box which raised well above the waterline.
Note: The aft base wear corners have worn away.
Recommendations
Rebuild the weed hatch tube.
Identify the deep pits on the side and base plates and spot weld.

Over-plate the wear edges at the rear corners.

Not sure what you want us to say as the surveyor seems to have it covered.

Is a fairly good result on a boat that age and proves the quality of steel used and care taken since (everyone forgets to black the weedhatch)

They also forget the rudder tube if they forgot the weed hatch. Rudder tubes go rusty just like weed hatches.

MtB

Thanks chaps..just wanted to make sure I had come away with the right general idea on it all (as you say, he had it covered and it was generally good)...and a very good point on the weed hatch and rudder tube..not having done it yet I didn't realise it was easily forgotten cheers..

Not sure what you want us to say as the surveyor seems to have it covered.

Is a fairly good result on a boat that age and proves the quality of steel used and care taken since (everyone forgets to black the weedhatch)

' everyone forgets to black the weedhatch '.......wink.png not moi ..good old OCD lol

Edited by tree

Of course you could make it 8....."perfect proper prior....."-I best keep quiet perhaps...actually could be 9.....

This seems blokey stuff re technical surveys--cept I will have a peep into the weed hatch when I get my boat armed with paintbrush...Thanks.

Maybe the "prior" part was the general standard of readiness before "preparing" for something specific? that was sort of my understanding of it..I think given that I misquoted anyway wink.png

Edited by Capt.Golightly

I too have a tendency to be a bit belt and bracers about stuff tree....though as squaddies we were hammered with the Law of P's" "Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance" wink.png

In the Signals our version was

Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance.

But it certainly has stood me in good stead, as well as always have a spare!

The money seems about right for a boat of that age,if the owner is prepared to cover the problems identified by the surveyor. Presumeably,he has given the engine and other major bits of eqipment a clean bill of health .A full 4 years B.S.C.would be reassuring as well.

thanks nebulae, the rest of the boat was in fine fettle and the vendor has indeed payed the lions share of the work..so I'm well pleased with the boat, touch wood. wink.png I don't believe in trying to screw someone to the floor over a few loose tiles in the head on an old boat as a fair deal is always good enough in my book.

Edited by Capt.Golightly