Empty Visitor Moorings - Overstaying

DeanS

Featured Posts

Of course you then get the opposite situation of where we were the other day at Aynho on the Oxford - wonderful place with very few VMs - about 4 in total or you have to moor half a mile away and walk back to the excellent pub.

Do you own mooring stakes?

Any spaces at Clarence dock ? Or granary wharf ? Sorry to bump your discussion ???

How far away are you?

The situation in Clarence Dock can change very quickly because there are so few moorings, so if somebody says they are full or empty now you will likely find that it's different by the time you get there.

We can't decide Clarence or granary we are just at lock 3 st Ann's lock

Then I would say if there is space at Granary Wharf stop there (it's better for access to the city anyway if that is what you want) if not and no -body seems to be moving press on to CD.

Coming the other way I would have said stick your nose into CD and if no space or signs of movement press onto Granary Wharf -

Why, oh why do people feel the need to rely on designated visitor moorings to stop when out on their boats?

By all means a short stop for shops, events or similar, but theres miles of cut out there.

After escaping from Barrow Deep at new year, I have moored 3 days at Fradley VM (snowstorms stopped play), 2 days at Gnossal VM for the Easter banter, an hour at Braunston opposite the Toll House waiting for crew, and I think thats it.

Even when moving boats I don't always use them, I was forced to stop for a night at Tewkesbury on the Avon VM as the lockie went for Sunday dinner early, Sawley Cut (48hours)was a month for one boat enforced due to flooding and Red Hill Lock closure, and overnight (10pm to 6.30am)at Lapworth.

I arrived in Leeds last week, and tried getting into Granary and Clarence Docks but they were full...so I moored on the river. Then....saw a gap at the VMs one morning...so rushed the boat down there, to find a hire boat had moved from the private moorings opposite onto the VMs....so nothing for it, other than to swing into the moorings they had just exited. I then saw a forum members details on that mooring point, so sent them a private msg...and got some information on it..and then spoke to the mooring manager who let us stay on shorepower for the weekend. I went cruising on Sat/Sun and returned to that same private mooring space on Sun night...so on Mon morning, decided I would move onto the official VMs. Suddenly this morning, all the boats left...leaving me all by my lonesome...prompting me to ask CRT...can I stay another day....but since then, 2 boats HAVE arrived, and I'm going to leave Clarence Dock shortly :) I have solar, full batts, empty elsan, full water, and the river is low, so thats where I'm going for the night. I found a spot which is behind a bend/wall, and wont be in the impact zone of any debris should any come down. As long as my ropes are loose, I cant see any major probs...can you? It's like a lake at the moment, and others have moored on a lot worse and survived. Travelling out of Leeds seems silly...just because they only accommodate 4 boats at a time . Yes, I could go cruising, but there are many reasons for not being able to right now :)

I guess the Leeds developers think that boaters will only visit Leeds passing through, or for weekends. They didnt actually plan for anyone (like me) who after travelling a long way to get here, would like to spend a few days extra :)

I actually did know this before getting here. I'm just "making a plan" day by day. I might buy a weeks mooring at Granary wharf next week if the river doesnt behave nicely.

There's a widebeam moored on the river section...it's been there for 3yrs now....doesnt seem to have suffered much?

Why, oh why do people feel the need to rely on designated visitor moorings

1. Because if I leave Leeds the one way, the locals vandalise boats.

2 Because if I leave Leeds the other way, there's nothing much to see.

3. Because there's no towpath except on the river through Leeds left as a choice.

4. Because train tickets cost a fortune and after doing the L&L we needed a place to drop the kids off, pick em up again.

Interestingly we have found the elec price at Leeds is a half of what our marina is charging us...so some investigation needed there.

etc

So why not go and pay £6 per day for a few days?

That way you won't be over staying or running the risk of upsetting anyone.

£6 per day is actually not a bad rate in the scheme of things.

I "moored" a TENT in someone's field that they call a campsite and it cost me just £27.00 a day. But I could use their loo and have a shower!

£6.00 a day doesn't sound too steep but if the alternative is free, then it's a simple choice.

Martyn.

I arrived in Leeds last week, and tried getting into Granary and Clarence Docks but they were full...so I moored on the river. Then....saw a gap at the VMs one morning...so rushed the boat down there, to find a hire boat had moved from the private moorings opposite onto the VMs....so nothing for it, other than to swing into the moorings they had just exited. I then saw a forum members details on that mooring point, so sent them a private msg...and got some information on it..and then spoke to the mooring manager who let us stay on shorepower for the weekend. I went cruising on Sat/Sun and returned to that same private mooring space on Sun night...so on Mon morning, decided I would move onto the official VMs. Suddenly this morning, all the boats left...leaving me all by my lonesome...prompting me to ask CRT...can I stay another day....but since then, 2 boats HAVE arrived, and I'm going to leave Clarence Dock shortly smile.png I have solar, full batts, empty elsan, full water, and the river is low, so thats where I'm going for the night. I found a spot which is behind a bend/wall, and wont be in the impact zone of any debris should any come down. As long as my ropes are loose, I cant see any major probs...can you? It's like a lake at the moment, and others have moored on a lot worse and survived. Travelling out of Leeds seems silly...just because they only accommodate 4 boats at a time . Yes, I could go cruising, but there are many reasons for not being able to right now smile.png

I guess the Leeds developers think that boaters will only visit Leeds passing through, or for weekends. They didnt actually plan for anyone (like me) who after travelling a long way to get here, would like to spend a few days extra smile.png

I actually did know this before getting here. I'm just "making a plan" day by day. I might buy a weeks mooring at Granary wharf next week if the river doesnt behave nicely.

There's a widebeam moored on the river section...it's been there for 3yrs now....doesnt seem to have suffered much?

1. Because if I leave Leeds the one way, the locals vandalise boats.

2 Because if I leave Leeds the other way, there's nothing much to see.

3. Because there's no towpath except on the river through Leeds left as a choice.

4. Because train tickets cost a fortune and after doing the L&L we needed a place to drop the kids off, pick em up again.

Interestingly we have found the elec price at Leeds is a half of what our marina is charging us...so some investigation needed there.

etc

Which just isnt correct at all.

I "moored" a TENT in someone's field that they call a campsite and it cost me just £27.00 a day. But I could use their loo and have a shower!

£6.00 a day doesn't sound too steep but if the alternative is free, then it's a simple choice.

Martyn.

Suppose we are just getting used to being charged for moorings.

Most expensive last fortnight was £22.30 for one night at Southwold. Moorings £18, electric £4.30 per night!

Had we known in advance we wouldnt have bothered with the electric!!

Why, oh why do people feel the need to rely on designated visitor moorings to stop when out on their boats?

By all means a short stop for shops, events or similar, but theres miles of cut out there.

After escaping from Barrow Deep at new year, I have moored 3 days at Fradley VM (snowstorms stopped play), 2 days at Gnossal VM for the Easter banter, an hour at Braunston opposite the Toll House waiting for crew, and I think thats it.

Even when moving boats I don't always use them, I was forced to stop for a night at Tewkesbury on the Avon VM as the lockie went for Sunday dinner early, Sawley Cut (48hours)was a month for one boat enforced due to flooding and Red Hill Lock closure, and overnight (10pm to 6.30am)at Lapworth.

The problem with Leeds is that there is very little alternative if you actually want to be in Leeds itself. Approaching from the west there are possibilities but they seem to have a reputation for being 'unsafe' places to stop from a security perspective so people tend not to stop there and from the east there just isn't really any where suitable until you get to Knotstrop which is out the city.

Although Dean is happy to moor on the river, presumably somewhere between No 1 Lock and Leeds lock I personally wouldn't moor there nor have I seen any other boats moored there apart from the one I think Dean has referred to.

I'm not sure where you can tie up and safely and easily get on and off the boat but TBH I've never looked properly because I've never wanted to stop there.

Most expensive last fortnight was £22.30 for one night at Southwold. Moorings

For not much more you can stay a month on the VMs at Clarence Dock..

The problem with Leeds is that there is very little alternative if you actually want to be in Leeds itself. Approaching from the west there are possibilities but they seem to have a reputation for being 'unsafe' places to stop from a security perspective so people tend not to stop there and from the east there just isn't really any where suitable until you get to Knotstrop which is out the city.

Although Dean is happy to moor on the river, presumably somewhere between No 1 Lock and Leeds lock I personally wouldn't moor there nor have I seen any other boats moored there apart from the one I think Dean has referred to.

I'm not sure where you can tie up and safely and easily get on and off the boat but TBH I've never looked properly because I've never wanted to stop there.

There have been boats mooring along this section in the past few days...there are mooring pins along the entire length and stairways which come down to the water level...so if the river level is behaving, it's actually a lovely section to stay on. I'll make some marks on the wall, and keep my ears and eyes open. After last weeks rain, the flow increased, but subsided quickly again.

For not much more you can stay a month on the VMs at Clarence Dock..

There have been boats mooring along this section in the past few days...there are mooring pins along the entire length and stairways which come down to the water level...so if the river level is behaving, it's actually a lovely section to stay on. I'll make some marks on the wall, and keep my ears and eyes open. After last weeks rain, the flow increased, but subsided quickly again.

Any pics Dean or an exact location I can't think where they are.....

Just outside Brewery Wharf is room for a few boats, and my friend tends to moor here quite often. However it's easy for the 3am walkers to walk along the boat, so if you can keep the boat out from the bank it's wise (my friend uses a metal pole).

Do you own mooring stakes?

Yes I do and as I said if you can't get on the VMs then you have to go at least half a mile away if you want to visit the shop/chandlery/pub - this is because the rest of the bank is covered in permanent moorings. So some selfish ****** hogging 48 hour VMs by dumping his boat there for weeks is making it very difficult for everyone else. Maybe he should have used his mooring stakes????

Just outside Brewery Wharf is room for a few boats, and my friend tends to moor here quite often. However it's easy for the 3am walkers to walk along the boat, so if you can keep the boat out from the bank it's wise (my friend uses a metal pole).

Google seems to put that between the white foot bridge and Crown Point Bridge, south side of the river is that the spot??

And deciding you should use visitor moorings rather than learning to boat properly - though you may have a point, your rank selfishness did annoy me and, yes, it did provoke a whinge.

Clearly not amnesia then!

1. Visitor moorings are there for everyone.

2. Your other points are based on incorrect assumptions.

3. Please define, based on what you know to be facts (not incorrect assumptions) what my selfishness was, and who exactly I've been selfish towards.

Not quite the same though!

It is if you have a deep wallet....then there is no such thing as VMs....if you want to, you can stay as long as you like...it's just poor sods like me who "move along" :)

FOR THE RECORD, I'M OFF THE VM NOW...and on the river section just before the white bridge...I can still see the orange bouys from the weir about 300ft behind me. I'm next to the Bombay Saphire restaurant, and my ropes are loose.

Our favourite mooring along this stretch is opposite the Fleet Oil Terminal, or rather just upstream. There is a lay-by which was the loading staithe for Water Haigh Colliery. Sanitary Station at Lemonroyd just down stream. Nice walk along the canal to Woodlesford station.

Regards

Pete

And there is plenty to see.

It is if you have a deep wallet....then there is no such thing as VMs....if you want to, you can stay as long as you like...it's just poor sods like me who "move along" :)

FOR THE RECORD, I'M OFF THE VM NOW...and on the river section just before the white bridge...I can still see the orange bouys from the weir about 300ft behind me. I'm next to the Bombay Saphire restaurant, and my ropes are loose.

I was referring to the scenery!

Peaceful Suffolk harbour surrounded by fields or wind tunnel in Leeds.....hmm.

It is if you have a deep wallet....then there is no such thing as VMs....if you want to, you can stay as long as you like...it's just poor sods like me who "move along" smile.png

Ok it is where I thought then.

Noted for future ref.

Our favourite mooring along this stretch is opposite the Fleet Oil Terminal, or rather just upstream. There is a lay-by which was the loading staithe for Water Haigh Colliery. Sanitary Station at Lemonroyd just down stream. Nice walk along the canal to Woodlesford station.

Regards

Pete

And there is plenty to see.

I've wondered though if the tankers used that bit of extra space provided by the 'lay by' for turning so I've been reluctant to moor there, though I guess there would be signs if this was so.

It's a nice spot though agreed.

Ok it is where I thought then.

Noted for future ref.

There's also another handy mooring on the river that I've seen one boat use recently, it's before Granary Wharf and the road bridge just on the right (loc: 53.792573, -1.546364). I thought it would be too shallow, so be warned if use.

There's also another handy mooring on the river that I've seen one boat use recently, it's before Granary Wharf and the road bridge just on the right (loc: 53.792573, -1.546364). I thought it would be too shallow, so be warned if use.

Yep a fisherman told us recently that on the far side a boat got stuck in the shallows. ...he was fishing near the GW locks...so one of those outer bends approaching it on the river is shallow

When you travel this river section, it really does seem there are bollards and rings along a lot of the walls...but not all are great for disembarking....

Edited by DeanS

Yep a fisherman told us recently that on the far side a boat got stuck in the shallows. ...he was fishing near the GW locks...so one of those outer bends approaching it on the river is shallow

When you travel this river section, it really does seem there are bollards and rings along a lot of the walls...but not all are great for disembarking....

Wait for the river to go up and you will just be able to step off......icecream.gif