Danger On The Trent And Mersey Canal

trebby91

Featured Posts

Hi,

Below is an open letter I have sent to Richard Parry,

If you are familiar with this stretch of canal I would be obliged if you would copy the letter below and send it by email to: - customer.services@canalrivertrust.org.uk addressed to Richard Parry marked Strictly for his attention.

-

Please feel free to alter it, I know there are bad stretches of canal all over the country but please keep it to this stretch, let’s do one problem area at a time!

The more emails he gets the more chance of getting action!

If anybody thinks I have overstated the case I would be pleased to hear from them.

This letter is addressed to Richard Parry if that’s not you would you please ensure it gets past onto him.

Dear Mr Parry.

This open letter was put on The canal world forum by me, hopefully you will you will get further communications from other members that have also recognised the dangers on this stretch of canal That way there will be more than one letter on record of the contents.

I would respectfully like to draw your attention to the dangerous condition existing on the Trent and Mersey canal Between Middlewich and bridge 217.

The overgrown trees and vegetation on the offside of the canal are causing serious visual obstructions for boaters traveling this stretch, also the reed beds on a number of bends are over ten feet high and cut the canal down to one lane, oncoming boats have to approach on the wrong side because their view is obstructed.

There are numerous bends on this stretch, it is impossible to see entrance to bridges or oncoming boats, in fact it is difficult in places to see the course of the canal.

This canal is used by a number of hire boaters these boaters are in a holiday mode and do not appreciate the danger they are in, a number of them travel to fast in this area.

They do not see a danger and allow children to run up and down on the roofs of the boats without a life preserver.

There will be a collision with one of these boats due to the condition of the canal with a boat traveling on the wrong side of the canal because the view is obstructed.

Narrow boats weigh in at around fourteen tons if a boat is broadsided it will tip dramatically, the first thing that will happen to anybody standing on the roof will be thrown into the canal.

The first reaction of the inexperienced person in charge will be to put the boat in reverse, the boat will continue traveling forward, and there are no brakes! The back end of the boat will become level with the person in the water with the propeller turning,

God forbid that the collision will be between two hire boats.

You may reply with any type of excuse but while the condition continues lives are at risk.

You may claim the area is designated a wildlife habitat sorry but human life comes before wildlife the other alternative is to close the canal but I don`t think you would win on that point!

Action is needed now we are still in the holiday period hundreds of boats will use this stretch of canal.

Yours, Hopefully.

J . Chapman.

• Greenie 1

If anybody thinks I have overstated the case I would be pleased to hear from them.

Great! I'll post then!

The overgrown trees and vegetation on the offside of the canal are causing serious visual obstructions for boaters traveling this stretch, also the reed beds on a number of bends are over ten feet high and cut the canal down to one lane, oncoming boats have to approach on the wrong side because their view is obstructed.

If the canal is "one lane" wide, then there is no right or wrong side. There's the bit you drive down.

There are numerous bends on this stretch, it is impossible to see entrance to bridges or oncoming boats, in fact it is difficult in places to see the course of the canal.

There's bends on all canals, most of which you can't see round. You also can't see round bends on other modes of transport, eg roads, railways. It seems to be a common feature of transport infrastructure.

This canal is used by a number of hire boaters these boaters are in a holiday mode and do not appreciate the danger they are in, a number of them travel to fast in this area.

They do not see a danger and allow children to run up and down on the roofs of the boats without a life preserver.

Privately owned boats including share boats are also used for holidays. And some hirers are more experienced than private boat owners. And the vast majority of hire boaters (no matter the experience) are able to appreciate dangers and drive the boat accordingly. Being on the roof is not illegal, neither is there a requirement to wear a life jacket on the canal network. I'm happy to let boaters determine their own risks to themselves and their passengers.

Narrow boats weigh in at around fourteen tons if a boat is broadsided it will tip dramatically, the first thing that will happen to anybody standing on the roof will be thrown into the canal.

Can you draw a diagram of how on earth 2 narrowboats in a narrow channel are going to be able to broadside collide? If anything, they'll collide head to head, but this is extremely rare occurrence. In fact, its possible to drive slightly into the reeds and pass in this section. I've done it many times.

The first reaction of the inexperienced person in charge will be to put the boat in reverse, the boat will continue traveling forward, and there are no brakes! The back end of the boat will become level with the person in the water with the propeller turning,

If I put my boat in reverse, it slows down, for an instantaneous piece of time it will be stationary, then it will go backwards. Oh, and I can steer in reverse.

"God forbid that the collision will be between two hire boats."

Are these kind of collisions worse than others? What about a hire boat hitting a private boat? Or a hire boat hitting a stationary object, etc.

PS I may take on your suggestion to email Richard Parry and tell him not to worry about the reeds.

• Greenie 1

PS I may take on your suggestion to email Richard Parry and tell him not to worry about the reeds.

The OP is being a bit melodramatic, but the sedges (reeds) are becoming a serious issue at this end of the T&M.

Tim

The OP is being a bit melodramatic, but the sedges (reeds) are becoming a serious issue at this end of the T&M.Tim

Two boats approaching at 4mph Max each is not going to replicate the marchioness incident though Tim surely.....

Two boats approaching at 4mph Max each is not going to replicate the marchioness incident though Tim surely.....

I did say he was being melodramatic.

Doesn't mean there isn't a problem, just maybe not one likely to be a matter of life or death.

Tim

i have traveled and am still traveling this stretch this week and have passed said reed beds and dangerous bends that i cant see around and have met many boats on said bends/reed beds and never hit one of them and yes some of them were hire boats :o i live to tell the tale. :cheers:

I did say he was being melodramatic.Doesn't mean there isn't a problem, just maybe not one likely to be a matter of life or death.Tim

There are multiple locations like this on the T&M, I can't recall them all' they just need a bit of care as you approach and pass.

Its a wind up......he is kidding............surely?

Tim

I hope so, but given some of the bollocks that has been posted on the forum of late I fear it might actually be serious......

Hi,

Below is an open letter I have sent to Richard Parry,

If you are familiar with this stretch of canal I would be obliged if you would copy the letter below and send it by email to: - customer.services@canalrivertrust.org.uk addressed to Richard Parry marked Strictly for his attention.

-

Please feel free to alter it, I know there are bad stretches of canal all over the country but please keep it to this stretch, let’s do one problem area at a time!

The more emails he gets the more chance of getting action!

ok then:

This letter is addressed to Richard Parry if that’s not you would you please ensure it gets passed onto him

Dear Mr Parry.

This open letter was put on The canal world forum by me, hopefully you will you will get further communications from other members that have also recognised the beauty on this stretch of canal That way there will be more than one letter on record of the contents.

I would respectfully like to draw your attention to the outstanding natural beauty existing on the Trent and Mersey canal Between Middlewich and bridge 217.

The overgrown trees and vegetation on the offside of the canal , also the reed beds create a fantastic habitat for lots of varied wildlife.

There are numerous bends on this stretch, so one needs to go slowly to avoid collisions, but this only gives one more time to appreciate the beauty and spot many different birds.

I've been on this stretch for a week now - Bramble Cuttings is a most excellent mooring as are the other ones provided.

Anyways, i wont take up any more of your valuable time, just wanted to give you some feedback on how lovely this natural stretch is - It's what the Shroppie could be like if the SUCC weren't intent on turning chunks of it into a short-stop, manicured, water fairway

Keep up the good work!

regards

Lone

Key word being ...nearly....

You didn't actually have one.

Good point, well made

keep up the good work! :)

• Greenie 4

Hi, All.

New in here

Just read the post seems a lot of you seem to be content with making glib replies but at least this guy is trying to get something done with the state of this canal.

Wonder how many of you actually come out of your marinas and use the canals?

Maybe you should help.

J.B

Hi, All.

New in here

Just read the post seems a lot of you seem to be content with making glib replies but at least this guy is trying to get something done with the state of this canal.

Wonder how many of you actually come out of your marinas and use the canals?

Maybe you should help.

J.B

Practically all of us. We're a pretty active bunch of boaters. How about yourself?

Richard