Google Earth 21St Century Navigation.

Capt.Golightly

Featured Posts

Are they?

Things must have come on a lot since I sold the lifeboat because, without linking the AIS engine to my GPS plotter's charts, I don't see how this would have been possible with my setup.

You can access AIS information without necessarily being linked to a GPS, either using inexpensive dedicated units or as an app or computer link. As you know, the MCA have issued warnings against the use of AIS as an anti-collision/navigation aid. I have come across people who have described it as better than radar because of the specific info relating to individual targets!

Howard

Has anyone tried e-canalmapp and how do they rat e it? The problem with google maps is it relies on a data connection to the smartphone, we tried it but got no data signal (no signal at all, in fact). Apparently e-canalmapp downloads the entire map info, then all it needs is GPS signal to work.

I understood you can download area maps from Google maps to a smartphone, to use when there is no phone signal.

From here

Take Maps with you, even when you're not connected
Download certain maps to use whether or not you have an internet connection. Offline Maps are especially helpful when you’re abroad or outside your network. You can browse saved areas or get your bearings by using My Location and compass mode.
Edited by The Dog House

Found that site very useful and extremely fast at locating a particular area.

Cheers!

Are you referring to Google?

I've been on there today and they've been updated to 2013.

It might say 2013 at the bottom of the page but it does not show barby moorings at all, and that was started what 2/3 years ago?

It might say 2013 at the bottom of the page but it does not show barby moorings at all, and that was started what 2/3 years ago?

Yes, that's exactly what I found when I looked again. 2009 might be more accurate as someone else has suggested.

we don't use googlemaps to navigate but we do find it useful for checking out areas where we are considering mooring..........i.e. if there are works/housing estates nearby..its not always easy to see whats over the hedge............and its also handy for locating shops etc.

I anticipate that once on the Cut Google Earth will actually become a very useful tool rather than simply a novelty for looking at friends houses from the air. I have done a few practise dry runs on it and it is incredibly useful for finding temporary mooring spots close to Supermarkets etc...when it is even possible to trace access footpaths through the fields..https://maps.google.co.uk/

Yes, I expect one day virtual mapping will become so accurate and realistic that one might feel a sense of deja vu when one arrives by boat, and perhaps you won't even need to go to all the bother of actually taking the boat out at all...tongue.png

What ever happened to being spontaneous? Isn't the innacuracy of traditional maps and not knowing exactly what's ahead or where you'll end up that evening all part of the fun?

Edited by blackrose

we don't use googlemaps to navigate but we do find it useful for checking out areas where we are considering mooring..........i.e. if there are works/housing estates nearby..its not always easy to see whats over the hedge............and its also handy for locating shops etc.

this is what we use it for too - though sometimes it catches you out like when the grocery shop you spotted on Google street view and walked half a mile to turns out now to be converted to a betting shop or has closed down since the street view image was captured..... don't ask how I know this.

The best thing I find for locating stuff like that is the 'Around Me' app. on my iPhone. If you update it regularly it's pretty accurate. You can get it for Android too.

ed Android not Andoid you berk.

Edited by The Dog House

Nor Aqueduct Marina in Cheshire I don't think, although I don't know how long it's been there.

I went to view a boat there and used the sat nav to get me to the rough area. I tben went on Google maps on my phone to get myself to the marina and it was nowhere to be seen. When I eventually got to the marina I had another look using the gps thing. It had me positioned in the middle of a farmers field.

On the flip side: I remember navigating my way around Castlemartin military training area in Wales at night using an iPhone and Google earth. My instructors couldn't work out how my section had manged to complete a night exercise so quickly with just a map and compass :-p

On the flip side: I remember navigating my way around Castlemartin military training area in Wales at night using an iPhone and Google earth. My instructors couldn't work out how my section had manged to complete a night exercise so quickly with just a map and compass :-p

Let's hope that the enemy aren't as crafty! :-)

Can anyone explain to me why google earth shows the grand union canal going through Milton Keynes as the Grand Union but Google maps shows the Grand union as the river Gade?

Edited by BGA

Can anyone explain to me why google earth shows the grand union canal going through Milton Keynes as the Grand Union but Google maps shows the Grand union as the river Gade?

Because they got it wrong probably due to a Friday morning spent following the route of Gade through Leighton Buzzard and after lunch inadvertently picking up the G.U.

Edited to add: Having now looked at it I see they got it wrong right at the point it leaves the G.U. at Leighton Buzzard, labelling it correctly to its source but also continuing the labelling on the G.U.

Edited by carlt

Because they got it wrong probably due to a Friday morning spent following the route of Gade through Leighton Buzzard and after lunch inadvertently picking up the G.U.

Edited to add: Having now looked at it I see they got it wrong right at the point it leaves the G.U. at Leighton Buzzard, labelling it correctly to its source but also continuing the labelling on the G.U.

And curiously if you switch to satellite imagery from map imagery it remains labelled as River Gade but on the satellite imagery on GE it's shown as the GU as per BGA's post. I always thought they use the same satellite imagery and labelling in GE and maps but clearly not.

Edited by The Dog House

Has anyone tried e-canalmapp and how do they rat e it? The problem with google maps is it relies on a data connection to the smartphone, we tried it but got no data signal (no signal at all, in fact). Apparently e-canalmapp downloads the entire map info, then all it needs is GPS signal to work.

e-canalmapp - it works, it is fine, it does all that it claims. But I find the interface to be horribly cluttered. In my opinion it is a lumpy piece of software quite lacking in elegance. But then I think the same of clutter of Nicholson printed maps compared with the clarity of the Geoprojects maps.

Some of bing maps images are more recent than google maps. Just had a look at our marina on google, but all I found was a lake with water skiers on it. Bing aerial view shows marina, and looking at the small number of boats moored there, I would say the image is about two years old.