The Fate Of The Camouflage Boat.....

Featured Posts

I too couldn't work this out as this my understanding too.

We generally rely on our sat nav in our Fiat 500 when we are using it. The discrepancy is quite substantial, an indicated 34 mph on the little Fiat's speedo shows as 30 mph on the sat nav.

At higher speeds it's even more, 70 mph on the sat nav shows at around 76 on the Fiat.

Our Fiat Panda is the same, not surprising as they share the same mechanics, but our Mercedes SLK is only slightly optimistic (down to quality I suppose?) enough to avoid a ticket though if we use it to keep to the speed llimit .

Speedos can read faster than actual.speed, but are not allowed to read slower. I think I read +10%, -0%.

I have a sneaky feeling I am going to have a £60 bill when I get home from my current boaty jaunt! After not getting caught for 20 years, I spotted a van on a bridge, and I was exceeding the posted limit. Bugger. Busted.

Speedos can read faster than actual.speed, but are not allowed to read slower. I think I read +10%, -0%.

I have a sneaky feeling I am going to have a £60 bill when I get home from my current boaty jaunt! After not getting caught for 20 years, I spotted a van on a bridge, and I was exceeding the posted limit. Bugger. Busted.

They have 14 days to issue the NIP otherwise you can declare it invalid.

That does not mean it has to reach you within 14 days of the offence but rather it has to be dated within 14 days and sent to you by a method by which it could reasonably be expected to arrive at the registered keepers address ie in the post!!!

I found a way too - keep at/below the speed limit. Especially when there's cameras around. It really isn't that complicated,

Not only uncomplicated but obvious. One slight prob though is when driving just below the limit, lines of traffic build up behind, if all motorists automatically got a ticket immediately they exceeded the limit all that would stop. It's too easy to get away with speeding, it seems to me that when speed guns and cams were first around everyone was cautious, now familiarity and the knowledge that cams can be fooled and speed guns are quite rare, there has been an increase in speeding. I notice that average speed cams seem to have the desired effect, I'm not aware of anyone actually getting caught with these.

I found a way too - keep at/below the speed limit. Especially when there's cameras around. It really isn't that complicated,

No shit?

They have 14 days to issue the NIP otherwise you can declare it invalid.

That does not mean it has to reach you within 14 days of the offence but rather it has to be dated within 14 days and sent to you by a method by which it could reasonably be expected to arrive at the registered keepers address ie in the post!!!

Don't know if it's still the case but in addition to 14 days NIP that prosecution had to take place within six months of the offence. Many moons ago.

Not only uncomplicated but obvious. One slight prob though is when driving just below the limit, lines of traffic build up behind, if all motorists automatically got a ticket immediately they exceeded the limit all that would stop. It's too easy to get away with speeding, it seems to me that when speed guns and cams were first around everyone was cautious, now familiarity and the knowledge that cams can be fooled and speed guns are quite rare, there has been an increase in speeding. I notice that average speed cams seem to have the desired effect, I'm not aware of anyone actually getting caught with these.

Cars behind aren't a problem - if they want to go faster, and its safe to, they can overtake. If I'm driving a slow moving vehicle (eg forage harvester, tractor, LGV, trailer etc), I'll pull in every now and again to let traffic go past. Of course, an overtake maneouver which requires you to speed, is a poorly planned overtake....

All production vehicles have optimistic speedos by default so anyone claiming their speedo was pessimistic must have much smaller circumference tyres or some other alterationsuch as final drive.

Surely LARGER circumference wheels are what will make a speedo under read

Don't know if it's still the case but in addition to 14 days NIP that prosecution had to take place within six months of the offence. Many moons ago.

I think that is correct too.

I've been clocked a couple of times on the mway, doing about 80, never heard from the powers that be.

I never have, but I always take care to slow down for each one...

Heh heh..

Smug satisfaction here

Milton Earnest has average speed cameras that start and finish at the 30mph signs.

For obvious reasons I always keep my speed to 29 whist going through there. Today I was overtaken by an Astra at well over the limit for the overtake, he then slowed down for the camera :)

I never have, but I always take care to slow down for each one...

:D

I drive through a lot of these around my way, and nearly every time I'm in one, at least one car goes whizzing past us limit-observing drivers doing 80mph or so.

I often wonder if they know something I don't (like they are not turned ON that day), or whether they really do think they just have to slow down for each camera.

MtB

Here is a copy of the judgement against the camo boat.

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/3490.pdf

So not defended then. Seems like they'd already moved on and decided not to fight for this boat/home in court.

A bit of a pyrrhic victory for CRT in my opinion. And hardly justification for the crowing nature of the original press release.

Though no doubt some fantasist will be along in a minute to tell us what the (non-appearing) defendant's motives were.

ok, not quite sure how this thread turned but sticking my head above the parapet here, I deliver speed awareness courses as well as other driver re education schemes under the NDORS umbrella (national driver offender retraining scheme)

The national GUIDELINE

I drive through a lot of these around my way, and nearly every time I'm in one, at least one car goes whizzing past us limit-observing drivers doing 80mph or so.

I often wonder if they know something I don't (like they are not turned ON that day), or whether they really do think they just have to slow down for each camera.

MtB

....when you travel through the same set, you get to know where the last one is, or if you are joining the road when there is only one between you and the end of the scheme...

So not defended then. Seems like they'd already moved on and decided not to fight for this boat/home in court.

A bit of a pyrrhic victory for CRT in my opinion. And hardly justification for the crowing nature of the original press release.

Though no doubt some fantasist will be along in a minute to tell us what the (non-appearing) defendant's motives were.

I'll have a go at that one :D

I reckon they didn't contest it because they had no ammunition which which to contest. Not a pyrrhic victory at all. CRT had them cut off at every pass, and consequently won hands down.

MtB

ok, not quite sure how this thread turned but sticking my head above the parapet here, I deliver speed awareness courses as well as other driver re education schemes under the NDORS umbrella (national driver offender retraining scheme)

The national GUIDELINE

?

The national GUIDELINE

I hope you are clearer when you deliver your courses because that is clear as mud....

I drive through a lot of these around my way, and nearly every time I'm in one, at least one car goes whizzing past Would take a bit of brainwork though.ould take a bit of brainwork though.s limit-observing drivers doing 80mWoWould take a bit of brainwork though.ld take a bit of brainwork thoughh or so.

MtB

You can go any speed you like provided your average speed doesn't exceed the posted limit. If you joined the road from a standstill just before the first cam you could exceed the limit initially. Difficult to judge.

?

Sorry Paul, bloody laptop playing up. will try again.

The national guide line is 10% +2 above the limit before the camera will trigger, ACPO guidelines. i.e 35 in a 30 is the prosecution start point, Sussex where I work give you an extra 1mph so the camera will not flash till you reach 36mph. This applies across all the limits.

Your car speedo almost certainly reads high so if the camera said 37mph true speed your car would read around 40.

All road crash stats can be found on dft.gov.co.uk, 2012 figures were 1745 deaths and 23,039 serious injuries of which around 30% had speed as a contributory factor.

in 2011 cameras "raised" about £130 million through fines, In Sussex any "profit" from speed awareness courses gets spent on road safety in Sussex, i.e. no profit for central government.

Annually the UK spends around £25 Billion cleaning up the mess after crashes, one fatal costs uk plc about 1.8million.

All this info easily accessable via google :)

I'll have a go at that one biggrin.png

I reckon they didn't contest it because they had no ammunition which which to contest. Not a pyrrhic victory at all. CRT had them cut off at every pass, and consequently won hands down.

MtB

Yep. That's what I said would happen.