On The Bottom

FidoDido

Featured Posts

Some Americans on a hire boat have just moored opposite the tree.... Despite me telling the the branch could fall at any time, and the fact that its a private mooring.

Now waiting for the Darwin effect to come into play....

Farmers field. Looks like it will be tricky to clear. Suspect navigation will be closed for at least a day.

No worries, without reasonable access and a tree (or possibly a friendly farmer with a tractor) my idea isn't possible, so I shan't suggest it. Did CRT say they'll be able to increase the water level, and a timescale? Otherwise, you're into extra equipment, access to that offside, etc etc

Guess they are assuming the Trent will eventually fill it. Still good 6 inches down. The level by the tree is about 2 inches currently. Winds picking up, so I suspect it will come down by itself overnight and pin the hire boaters to the bank

Vandals apparently.. Had opened Weston, Aston and Shardlow locks. Did first two Monday, then Shardlow last night. Took 6 hours to refill. Now there is a tree branch waiting to fall and close the cut..

Err...Vandals? Must have taken a lot of dedication to travel from Weston to Aston unless by boat.

http://twitter.com/robstockman/status/357513084878848002/photo/1

C&RT refused to close navigation, so spent the afternoon putting some signs up to warn people. Would kill if it fell on you. Contractors coming tomorrow to cut it down.

Happened 10 mins after I got back from Dobsons. Heard a huge crack, go outside, and am amazed it didn't go all the way. It's resting on a thin branch at the mo. next gust of wind and it will come down.

Not quite sure where you are but think you are on pound between Aston and Shardlow locks in which case vandalism at Aston or Weston locks would have tended to mean there was an excess of water where you are not a lowering of levels.

However, hope all getting sorted and you are afloat again. It is most disconcerting being stuck.

Thought you said that they were from Americky?

Turned out they were Canadian.. some other folks corrected me later in the day.

Mrs Trackman - pound above Aston was empty from what CaRT bloke said. Had to pull water down from Swarkestone.

Your suggestion of careless boaters would fit with all the above. Lots of Canaltime / Hire-a-canal-boat traffic, so might be inexperienced folk inadvertantly doing it. Only takes one to forget to close paddles each lock, and there you go. Shardlow lock is so leaky, without a feed from the pound above, it might drop the cut by a foot over a 24 hour period I suppose. Thats alot of water though.. The it does leak badly - both sets of gates. And Trent is VERY low, so probably not much feed from further up.

Fido,

Are you still aground? We are at the bottom of the Erewash at Trent Lock, planning to head up your way tomorrow through Shardlow. Is traffic still passing through or are levels too low? Do you need a hand to pull you off the putty?

Ken

Fido,

Are you still aground? We are at the bottom of the Erewash at Trent Lock, planning to head up your way tomorrow through Shardlow. Is traffic still passing through or are levels too low? Do you need a hand to pull you off the putty?

Ken

It was filled yesterday. Fine this morning. However, dangerous tree branch hanging over canal may stop play if and when contractors come to remove it. I'll let you know update later. No sign of any contractors this morning at 8.30 when I went to work.

Fido,

Ken

Funny you mentioned Shardlow.

Yet another stoppage notice just turned up!

Shardlow Lock 2 and Aston Lock 3

Thursday 18 July 2013 until further notice Due to a dangerous tree which has a bees nest inside, navigation will be closed from 5.00pm today the 18th July to remove the bees nest first then attend to the tree. It is anticipated that this work will be finished by lunchtime tomorrow the 19th July.

Canal & River Trust apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Enquiries: 0303 040 4040 during normal office hours.

Edited by alan_fincher

It was filled yesterday. Fine this morning. However, dangerous tree branch hanging over canal may stop play if and when contractors come to remove it. I'll let you know update later. No sign of any contractors this morning at 8.30 when I went to work.

CRT Customer Service ‏@CRTContactUs 2h

Trent & Mersey, Shardlow Lock 2 and Aston Lock 3, Navigation closed from 5pm until lunch tomorrow to remove a beehive and dangerous tree.

Is this your favourite tree? This was on twitter 2 hours ago

Funny you mentioned Shardlow.

Yet another stoppage notice just turned up!

Thanks Alan.

We will have a very leisurely start tomorrow and by the time we get up there it should be open again. Bees permitting!

Ken