Blanking off a skin fitting

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of re-fitting and have moved some things around like the kitchen, which previously had skin-fittings, but now have them somewhere else.

My question is -what to do about the existing fittings/holes? A chap at midland chandlers suggested making a cork plug, which I guess would work (swell up if it got wet) but I wondered if there wasn't another way to do it.

I googled for 'skin fitting blank', but no-one popped up with the 'perfect product'.

Help?!

Thanks!

Patrick

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of re-fitting and have moved some things around like the kitchen, which previously had skin-fittings, but now have them somewhere else.

My question is -what to do about the existing fittings/holes? A chap at midland chandlers suggested making a cork plug, which I guess would work (swell up if it got wet) but I wondered if there wasn't another way to do it.

I googled for 'skin fitting blank', but no-one popped up with the 'perfect product'.

Help?!

Thanks!

Patrick

Don't think I'd go with the cork job. Another method would be to have a disk welded into place.

Get something like a fake rivet made with a hole through it. Countersink hole and put a counresunk bolt through to another drilled plate on the inside. Nut on and job done.

I agree welding is better if you can power up a welding set.

A chap at midland chandlers suggested making a cork plug, which I guess would work (swell up if it got wet)

That's what I did - but I used a plastic wine cork, pushed in with plenty of Marineflex. I wouldn't use natural cork in case it disintegrated over time.

Edited by blackrose

You could probably do a lot worse the just capping it off, filling it with cork, etc. Its not going to be a huge hole, its been there yonks, and if its suitable above the water line would not cause me much upset.

That said, as a long term job or if you can get someone to do it now, I would be aiming weld it up and grid it off flush on the outside, which is what I did with the deck drains i removed from our boat.

Daniel