Bought cheap(er) boat paint...and suffered the consequences

Featured Posts

I know there's always lots on 'which boat paint to use'?', and whether it's worth shelling out for the top of the range stuff. And I know there's lots of differing opinions, some of which clearly depend on whether you want the professional 'shinyy boat' look, or just something that will serve its purpose well enough.

I also know that reds, to misquote the Rolling Stones, do fade away quicker than other colours.

Last year we used a well-known chandler's 'own brand' maroon for the rear 'name panels'. The paint is actually made by Teamac "manufacturers of marine coatings since 1908". (The paper wrap-around label comes off quite easily, revealing the Teamac branded tin underneath). Within a year it has very frustratingly faded to a pale, very matt version of red oxide.

When, recently, we complained verbally to the well-known chandlers about the speed of fading, the surprisingly honest answer was "Well, of course it did, it doesn't have any UV protection". The question is why does any paint claiming to be 'boat paint' NOT have UV protection? Perhaps they assume the boat will be kept indoors?

We've now 'upgraded' to Craftsmaster 'Manchester Red' (seems an appropriate colour and name for us) and we'll see how that gets on. No doubt it will fade in time....but anything more than less than a year will be a bonus.

Edited by Québec
  • Greenie 1

I know there's always lots on 'which boat paint to use'?', and whether it's worth shelling out for the top of the range stuff. And I know there's lots of differing opinions, some of which clearly depend on whether you want the professional 'shinyy boat' look, or just something that will serve its purpose well enough.

I also know that reds, to misquote the Rolling Stones, do fade away quicker than other colours.

Last year we used a well-known chandler's 'own brand' maroon for the rear 'name panels'. The paint is actually made by Teamac "manufacturers of marine coatings since 1908". (The paper wrap-around label comes off quite easily, revealing the Teamac branded tin underneath). Within a year it has very frustratingly faded to a pale, very matt version of red oxide.

When, recently, we complained verbally to the well-known chandlers about the speed of fading, the surprisingly honest answer was "Well, of course it did, it doesn't have any UV protection". The question is why does any paint claiming to be 'boat paint' NOT have UV protection? Perhaps they assume the boat will be kept indoors?

We've now 'upgraded' to Craftsmaster 'Manchester Red' (seems an appropriate colour and name for us) and we'll see how that gets on. No doubt it will fade in time....but anything more than less than a year will be a bonus.

A good polish with mer car polish at the beginning of summer and winter will make it last longer. The shouts will come about using such a product, but I know it works. My boat still looks new, according to passers by. The paints coming on for five years old now.

A good polish with mer car polish at the beginning of summer and winter will make it last longer. The shouts will come about using such a product, but I know it works. My boat still looks new, according to passers by. The paints coming on for five years old now.

Phil Speight will have a fit.

Before we gave up totally, we did try (testing it on the gas hatch which was the same colour) both car polish and, knowing we were going to sand right down and repaint, baby oil which was suggested to us (!!). Both worked OK for a short period but, in the end, crap paint is crap paint.

Before we gave up totally, we did try (testing it on the gas hatch which was the same colour) both car polish and, knowing we were going to sand right down and repaint, baby oil which was suggested to us (!!). Both worked OK for a short period but, in the end, crap paint is crap paint.

Mer has a uv protection agent, it needs to be put on as soon as the paint has hardened, 8- 10 weeks. Then twice a year.

Difficult to say, roller and lay off with a brush works but not for me because my head switches too slowly from one hand to the other. I prefer to go for it with a good brush and work quickly in small sections. You have to keep going and not lose your wet edge .

Hopefully one of the skilled painters on here will be along in a minute to advise. God luck Sunsoup

Good luck with that then, mine faded within 18 months!

Just out of interest, is it better to brush paint or use a roller on the exterior of a narrowboat?

The roller will get you a good area covered evenly, the brush will finish off. Keeping up a good speed will also help. Flatting between coats will give a better chance of good gloss. What ever irregularity is there in the surface, before you paint, will obviously be there afterwards.

I know, he would have a worst fit if he knew I sprayed my boat.

Nowt wrong with spraying a boat (properly). My mate built three NBs over the years, and I mean built, including the shell. He sprayed them with two pack, and the finish was/is stunning (he was a classic car restorer prior to retiring.) The paintwork on all three boats lasted for donkey's years, and always looked like new.

I normally paint mine with a 4 inch brush from Wilkinsons (excellent brushes for the money,) and International ten year house paint. I used a roller last time, but don't get on with them. It is brush only in future.