Foxton Locks Festival - June 29th & 30th

Kwacker

Featured Posts

I've tried to add this event to the calendar and to the events diary without success, so I'm posting it here.

Hope you can come along to what is an excellent family event.

Website

Edited by Kwacker

Trouble is, it clashes with Braunston Historic bote rally. Otherwise I'd be there. As would quite a few others I suspect.

BAD plannin!

MtB

Same here! Seems silly to have 2 events so close geographically on the same weekend. We'll be driving to Braunston rather than cruising or walking to Foxton.

Tom

Thirded!

Braunston is easy winner.

If you have access to the organisers I suggest you point out how many more might have attended if they had avoided a date that clashed with one of the biggest of the boating year.

I think it is fair to say that when the date for Braunston festival was confirmed it took a few people by surprise as it seemed a week different to last year. Now as it is an event I have never actually managed to get to yet I may be wrong but I know a couple of the "seasoned" festival goers have agreed that it seemed to skip a week this year and took them by surprise as well.

Python's original tour plan (the one written in pencil on a beermat) was showing her as attending both Foxton & Braunston ........... then when Braunston dates were confirmed the true horror of the clash was made very clear - it actaully clashes with Chesterfield Canal Trust's own festival the same weekend!

Obviously we are not going to get any historic vessels arriving at The Chesterfield Canal Festival (unless they bring shovels and dig the remaining 8 miles to get there) but it did mean that we were very stuck because The Chesterfield Canal Trust needs all it's volunteers on our own site for the duration and so who could be present with Python?

Dear people of the forum - if you do attend Braunston you will see Python there, manned by friendly, enthusiastic Trust members Ange & Dave. Go and say hello to them but be gentle with them when you ask questions about the Chesterfield Canal because they are on a steep learning curve that weekend :)

.........and why not jump in the car and pootle along to the Foxton Festival while you are in the area as regardless of what it clashes with they need your support

I think it is fair to say that when the date for Braunston festival was confirmed it took a few people by surprise as it seemed a week different to last year. Now as it is an event I have never actually managed to get to yet I may be wrong but I know a couple of the "seasoned" festival goers have agreed that it seemed to skip a week this year and took them by surprise as well.

Possibly, I'm not sure, but for three consecutive years now at least it has been a fortnight after the gala event at Stoke Bruerne, because we always attend both, and have a clear weekend in the middle to move a boat between the two. Had Braunston been the coming weekend this year, rather than the one after, we would have struggled!

As long as I can remember Braunston has always been the last weekend in June.

Same here! Seems silly to have 2 events so close geographically on the same weekend. We'll be driving to Braunston rather than cruising or walking to Foxton.

Tom

There are two days to a weekend, nothing to stop you visiting both!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

I will be at Foxton on Swift with the Heritage Working Boat Group feel free to pop along by the top lock and say hello. We decided on Foxton rather than Braunston as it will be easier for the public to get on board. It is always difficult at Braunston to get a bank side mooring which we need for public access.

By the time I got a boat from one to the other, most of the weekend would be gone!

But you would have been boating wink.png

Seriously though, It you are not into old boats, and/or have a young family, Foxton is the one for you.

http://www.foxtonlocksfestival.co.uk/

ps I am nothing to do with the organisation, but I know how much they lost out by last year's Festival being cancelled.

I'm just trying to do my bit to help publicise what I know to be a good event.

Edited by Kwacker

But you would have been boating wink.png

Seriously though, It you are not into old boats, and/or have a young family, Foxton is the one for you.

http://www.foxtonlocksfestival.co.uk/

ps I am nothing to do with the organisation, but I know how much they lost out by last year's Festival being cancelled.

I'm just trying to do my bit to help publicise what I know to be a good event.

Fair enough, but as everybody seems to have confirmed that the last week in June is the norm for the Braunston event, it does seem an odd decision to hold another one that close the same weekend, particularly if the aim is fund-raising.

I wish them well, anyway.