Help Required on The Wyrely & Essington Please!

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Unkle Richard, stop watching your VHS collection, and get back to solving the engine cooling problem..

Oh that's definitely worth a greenie!

p.s. Can I borrow the video after, if you have not worn it out compleely......

Herbidacious has been having cooling problems since the head was rebuilt. I doubt very much whetjher a fouled prop is the cause and suspect an airlock in the skin tank. Other than that I'd be looking at a further problem with the head, cracked or warped. I hope not for Sue's sake but Benjt can rest assured he has not caused the problem, it already existed though I believe Sue thought it solved.

Herbidacious has been having cooling problems since the head was rebuilt. I doubt very much whetjher a fouled prop is the cause and suspect an airlock in the skin tank.

Au contraire, if the cooling system is on the cusp of being adequate, a bag and a bit of rope on the prop could easily tip it over the edge into inadequacy, and overheating.

MtB

You may also have a small blockage in your calorifier, disconnect the feed and return pipes (slowly and carefully as there may be hot water), when both are disconnected, insert a piece of plastic pipe into the feed pipe and blow down it as hard as you can, wait until you get all bits, rusty water etc. out, add a small funnel and fill with water or antifreeze/anti-rust mix while holding the pipe up to form 'a header' when you get no air bubbles, reconnect and enjoy a cool engine and hot water, possibly....................

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to everyone who supported Bengt in his hour(s) of need on my boat clapping.gif and managing to introduce a salacious edge to the advice too

I had a chatter with RLWP on the towpath earlier and he was as reassuring and generous with his advice as always smile.png

I haven't really moved since I got back yesterday, but will give her a bit of a thrashing tomorrow and see how she goes, but all seemed well when I ran her for an hour or so yesterday

cheers.gif everyone

Hoping it is an airlock, that just needs a good thrashing as you say. Or perhaps even just bubbled away while she was alone. I didn't really dare to thrash anything on someone ells's boat :-) But if it isn't, the problem re occured serveral times above 1000 revs. I took her from the basin in Wolverhampton to Pelsall at 800 revs, which went fine but slow.

OK ... well I admit to being completely baffled now .... I thrashed her as far as possible this morning, but not far .... she heaved and belched a couple of times and then settled down .... calorifier seems ok, hot water

this evening I have just come up to Anglesey Basin ....

(on RLWP's recommendation ... thanks Richard .... what an amazing spot .... managed to just about get moored at the end .... but felt like an intrepid explorer coming down here for some reason ... Dr Livingstone ...... which was emphasised by someone asking me "How did you get a boat down here?" ....smiley_offtopic.gif )

anyway she heaved once, then was fine cruising at 1500 rpm, water level in header tank nice and steady for half an hour ..... then just as I entered the basin she boiled huh.png

I think she must be getting air into the system somewhere ..... and I think i will have one more go at bleeding her through and then will need to get some help unsure.png

as usual, any suggestions more than welcome cheers.gif