Boat names with a musical connection.

madcat

Featured Posts

There's a chicken and egg situation here, as like ourselves many owners may not know the connection.

Have seen a "Ghost Town" (Specials or Cheap Trick) and a "How Long!" (One hit wonder Ace) but doubt very much if there was a musical connection.

There's a chicken and egg situation here, as like ourselves many owners may not know the connection.

Have seen a "Ghost Town" (Specials or Cheap Trick) and a "How Long!" (One hit wonder Ace) but doubt very much if there was a musical connection.

Quite. For instance, Apache and Memphis are good, strong names in their own right and will have been on boats for many, many decades before the gramophone was invented

Richard

Quite so - I did mention that although the boat names I listed had a musical connection they may not have been inspired by music or records.

That said, although 'How Long' (also a Pointer Sisters hit incidentally) may well simply refer to the length of a narrowboat, it's hard to see what the origin of 'Ghost Town' might be, apart from the Specials' song.

Edited by Athy

Avalon.

800px-Frank_William_Warwick_Topham_Voyag

Voyage of King Arthur and Morgan Le Fay to the Isle of Avalon 1888

Good boat name that, historical, mystical and water associations

Richard

MORE: This thread is a bit like CANOE - the Campaign to Associate a Naval Origin for Everything.

Edited by RLWP

Many ghost towns in American mining areas

Richard

No doubt - but who would want to name their boat after one? I haven't yet heard of a boat called Abandoned Industrial Estate either.

(Thinks: there was an LP called 'Abandoned Luncheonette', some US soft-rock band I think, but has anyone called their boat by that name? )

Many ghost towns in American mining areas

Richard

No doubt - but who would want to name their boat after one? I haven't yet heard of a baot called Abandoned Industrial Estate either.

(Thinks: there was an LP called 'Abandoned Luncheonette', some US soft-rock band I think, but has anyone called their boat by that name? )

Edited by Athy

No doubt - but who would want to name their boat after one? I haven't yet heard of a boat called Abandoned Industrial Estate either.

Can't comment on why the boat was called Ghost Town, but I was thinking more likely it was named after a literary reference rather than the song.

But that leads to the debate as to song titles taken from books. Now that is a long list.........

Can't comment on why the boat was called Ghost Town, but I was thinking more likely it was named after a literary reference rather than the song.

But that leads to the debate as to song titles taken from books. Now that is a long list.........

Books? What the Dickens do you mean?

Well, there's a Little Dorrit and a brace of Pickwicks for starters....

• 4 weeks later...

800px-Frank_William_Warwick_Topham_Voyag

Good boat name that, historical, mystical and water associations

Richard

Thanks. Mrs Biggles chose it for this reason. There is a darker meaning too but can't remember it now.