Hammerite

Featured Posts

Colours seem more limited nowadays.

I need an azure blue hammerite for my genny rebuild but its not available now.

I guess I may try mixing my own from white smooth and dark blue hammer

I suspect you will struggle with that. I'm pretty sure that the hammered stuff has a different solvent to the smooth, especially the latest smooth

Could be wrong though

Richard

I've used rustoleum on engine bay and that worked quite well - bit sticky but not so much as hammerite. Claims to be thinnable with white spirit. I got it cos it was silver!

It's not cheap either - same as hammerite at my local trade paint place.

I've used Rustoleum quite a bit, similar to 'new' Hammerite. Works best for me with Owatrol and maybe a bit of white spirit added - otherwise it takes for ever to harden. If you use white spirit alone it seems to accelerate the drying and make it difficult to avoid brush marks. Two coats needed if thinned, though. It also claims to work direct to steel/rust etc but much better if you use a coat of their own primer first.

Tim

I've used rustoleum on engine bay and that worked quite well - bit sticky but not so much as hammerite. Claims to be thinnable with white spirit. I got it cos it was silver!

It's not cheap either - same as hammerite at my local trade paint place.

Some people have told me dulux weathershield is a really good top coat - and there is a boat done in it locally (not moves about much) which does look 'as new' 8 years on.

Wouldn't think it'd stand up to much wear though. Cheap mind: )

Odds are that was the 'old' weathershield. The new stuff is water based and absolute cr*p. I was advised by a Dulux trade centre to use this and long story short, they refunded me every penny I had spent with them. Didn't cover my labour, or all the paint stripper I had to buy (40' boat, use your imagination over how I felt).

eta - and mixed to your own required colour is not cheap.

Edited by Mike Tee

Can`t get a good smooth finish with it, used it a couple of times on handrails, difficult to apply, chips easily, I gave up with it and now just use ordinary paint, threw half a tin away so I would not be tempted to keep trying to use it.

I did my engine 'ole in Hammerite smooth white. It has stood up well to oil etc. Screwfix are now doing their own brand version of Smoothrite, but with less colours.

I have used Hammerite for various bits, all over the boat, inside and out. If I could afford it, I'd paint the whole boat with it.

It's not brittle, it is (well, was..) an industrial paint that can (well, could..) withstand hammerblows. As with all paints, modern 'elfin safty regulation mean that paint has to be toddler save, and pretty much water based. Without sharp edges. I might be wrong, but I think cellulose paint is only available to the trade nowadays, in the same vein as carboleum.

I have used Hammerite for various bits, all over the boat, inside and out. If I could afford it, I'd paint the whole boat with it.

It's not brittle, it is (well, was..) an industrial paint that can (well, could..) withstand hammerblows. As with all paints, modern 'elfin safty regulation mean that paint has to be toddler save, and pretty much water based. Without sharp edges. I might be wrong, but I think cellulose paint is only available to the trade nowadays, in the same vein as carboleum.

I think 'was' & 'could' sum it up well.

I used the old xzyline(?) baced Hammerite of both types on motorcycle frames and landrover chasis in the past and it did what it said on..etc, etc, though as jake_crew said, it didn't do well with petrol spillage.

I used some of the 'new' paint on a set of wrough iron twisted steel gates I built and it covered well, looked a bit lumpy and fell off when the gates were slammed. Not impressed, sand blast, again, paint ,again, only this time with primer and coach paint.

The brushes were easy to clean though.

It's not brittle, it is (well, was..) an industrial paint that can (well, could..) withstand hammerblows.

I believe the name refers to the finish with the old paint, which gave a sort of 'dented' look. Like it had been hammered

Richard