boatbuddys.

scrunch

Featured Posts

I dont see why they would.

Providing their informed on the situation/scheme and given a chance to access the risk ( with uplift in premium no doubt) they should have no objections.

Edited by Trento

I read the whole of the "concept" page and still had no idea what it was all about.

I suspect that this is because they are limited in the info they can give and the terminology they can use once they rule out the use of terms like "hire" for legal reasons.

I can see way more potential issues, problems and liabilities to this than benefits for the boat owner.

Edited by Starcoaster

I dont see why they would.

Providing their informed on the situation/scheme and given a chance to access the risk ( with uplift in premium no doubt) they should have no objections.

I presume you did not read the info page then,

I can't agree with their explanation of the scheme:

It is important that the distinction is made between contribution and hire. There are no insurance complications if 2 friends share a boat and it’s running costs, or indeed if a crew member buys something for the boat. However, if the arrangement were more rigid, say 1 weeks use = £500 and particularly so if you recruited half a dozen Boat Buddys, then that contribution could be viewed as hire.

I'd say any kind of usage of the boat in return for payment or payments made for services, or other services done on the boat, could be viewed as hiring by your insurance firm - and other interested parties eg C&RT with respect to licensing etc. Its all down to interpretation, I guess, at the end of the day.

I had a look through the rest of the website too. It appears that many of the boat buddies are expecting exclusive use of the boat in return for cleaning it, etc. While many boat owners are expecting experienced crew/dogsbody for their planned holidays.

Would be interested if anyone has a successful time on this scheme.

Yes quite, however much they say it is not "hire" it is still a transactional arrangement between two unconnected parties. I don't see how its any different than any other case of a private boat owner wanting to let out their boat for a fee or a contribution to the running costs, something that comes up here time and time again as fraught with pitfalls and ultimately, not economically viable to take on and do all above board.

Seems to be 95% for coastal and off shore sailing and cruising.

The same as more well known sites such as crew seekers, crew recruit and crewbay.......except many of these are free!

I have spent some time using these sites looking for crew to sail on our Viking ship replica this summer........6 weeks along the Norwegian coast, all expenses paid...anyone interested let me know. See http://vikingkings.com/

Seems to be 95% for coastal and off shore sailing and cruising.

The same as more well known sites such as crew seekers, crew recruit and crewbay.......except many of these are free!

I have spent some time using these sites looking for crew to sail on our Viking ship replica this summer........6 weeks along the Norwegian coast, all expenses paid...anyone interested let me know. See http://vikingkings.com/

Is "r*** & pillage" included?smile.png

Interesting Viking misconception site: http://listverse.com/2009/04/21/top-10-misconceptions-about-the-vikings/

Edited by Ray T

Don't see the mystery or lack of clarity that you seem to be finding.

Pretty straight forward....have a look at those boat owners and boat buddies that have already signed up...use the links at the bottom of their webpages.

It seems it is us on the cut that are a little more precious about this sort of thing.

I can see how the system would work fine... As long as nothing went wrong! However, should you fall foul of your licence or insurance, have someone you'd signed an agreement with make off with your boat, lose or have damage caused to your boat by someone else, not get on with the other party after they had paid out for something or find out that the work carried out by the other party on your boat was shonky, I have little doubt that you'd be up a gumtree in terms of having any recourse or coverage.

I can see why many of us are rather precious about ensuring that the boat is safe, under my control and legal, not to mention covered by my insurance, and would be very wary of anything like this.

I presume you did not read the info page then,

Yes I read it.....and stand by my post, providing you inform your insurance broker/agent, pay what additional premium they may, or may not demand. They (the insurance company) can have no objections as envisaged by the OP.

Perhaps it is me that is the odd one out then.huh.png

I bought out boat to be used, not to sit in a marina all the time. My daughter and partner are using it this week whilst I'm in Norway.

My brother and his family regularly use it, as does my other daughter, plus some friends who have been on many canal holidays.

And of course we use it a lot too.

Does anyone else do this? I thought it would be quite common.......or is it just the forum users that are made up of a particular sort of boat owner? I'm curious.

I bought out boat to be used, not to sit in a marina all the time. My daughter and partner are using it this week whilst I'm in Norway.

My brother and his family regularly use it, as does my other daughter, plus some friends who have been on many canal holidays.

Does anyone else do this? I thought it would be quite common.......or is it just the forum users that are made up of a particular sort of boat owner? I'm curious.

I think the key difference here, is that your example is family & friends; while the website is seeking to join up people previously not known to each other, for the sole purposes of using a boat.

Yes, we're all one "particular sort of boat owner." rolleyes.gif apparently the cautious kind. I bought my boat to be used too, that's why I live on it and haven't seen the inside of a marina since last November.

Lending to friends and family is dramatically different to entering into a contract with a stranger. For a start, your insurance actually includes it.

Thorfast does your insurance allow this? I'm not sure ours would. If we were not present and something happened i'm sure the insurance company would use it as a "get out clause" Though i would expect no payment from family members i would still not be comfortable with it ( but there again i have seen my family attempt to control a day boathelp.gif )

The potential for damage to my boat and others is too great a risk, if the insurance failed to pay i wouldnt be able to replace the boat.

Trento this is from their site

It is important that the distinction is made between contribution and hire. There are no insurance complications if 2 friends share a boat and it’s running costs, or indeed if a crew member buys something for the boat. However, if the arrangement were more rigid, say 1 weeks use = £500 and particularly so if you recruited half a dozen Boat Buddys, then that contribution could be viewed as hire.

This is from the site , it does not mention paying more insurance or even telleing your insurance

Insurance is Ok. I've trained the family and I'm more than happy that they are very capable.

Compared to a yacht or river cruiser my boat is 60 feet of steel weighing several tons and the relative potential for damage is far far less!

(Ever wondered why a £100K narrowboat insurance is cheaper than insurance for a yacht of the same value?)

It is not a problem....it is a pleasure, to be able to allow others to use our lovely canals captain.gif

Edited by Thorfast

I can quite see that for liveaboards this idea would hold little attraction.

But the scheme seems directed towards leisure owners, and it could appeal to quite a few.

It also seems to be in its infancy at the moment, and more used by the salty water community.

But once any insurance issues are sorted, I think many leisure owners would consider the benefits.

My insurance only covers me amd the better half if I lend it out to family and neither of us are with the boat then it is not covered, as per my policy. Talking more about damage to other boats or property than the actual boat itself,

Insurance is Ok. I've trained the family and I'm more than happy that they are very capable.

Compared to a yacht or river cruiser my boat is 60 feet of steel weighing several tons and the relative potential for damage is far far less!

(Ever wondered why a £100K narrowboat insurance is cheaper than insurance for a yacht of the same value?)

It is not a problem....it is a pleasure, to be able to allow others to use our lovely canals captain.gif

Potential damage to plastic boats is quite high

Its not so much the major damage or loss to the boat which insurance covers (or not), but the little things, the wear/tear, the inconsiderate use etc which would put me off. There have been stories of people lending boats and things going missing, or broken and concealed, etc etc.

Ok Thorfast as a continuous hirer, I too would not want to see your boat languishing in the marina, unfortunately I have already booked for our July / August cruise, but we are still looking for the October / November outing.

If you are really stuck for someone to take it out, give me a shout glare.gif

David

Lending to friends and family is dramatically different to entering into a contract with a stranger. For a start, your insurance actually includes it.

When does a stranger become a friend? If you can develop a good relationship & the insurance permits, then why not?