Used engine oil where can i empty.

wullie

Featured Posts

When i get my boat, i would want to do all my servicing myself, is there a place to disspose of oil and filters etc or would i have to take to local council recycle tip.?

You can occasionally dispose of it at marinas or boatyards, for free or occasionally a small fee.

Local to my mooring there's no disposal, so it has to go to the tip.

Local council tip is the obvious place. Some councils (well, ours, not lived anywhere else recently) will collect it from your home as part of their collections. Our previous marina also had an oil disposal bin thing. Not sure if anyone can just roll up and dump their oil tho?

When i get my boat, i would want to do all my servicing myself, is there a place to disspose of oil and filters etc or would i have to take to local council recycle tip.?

I know of one steam boat captain who will take it off your hands, so it depends a bit where you are.

Fill a food can with ash, and top it up with oil, and burn it in your stove. Keep the cans lid on by a hinged bit to control the flame. Burns for hours !

That doesnt sound very safe :) They used to pour boiling oil over castle walls...I can just imagine it tipping over in your stove.

• 2 weeks later...

bit naughty burning off oil...i know coal is not as not good for our environment so i will try to use as much free wood as i can...cant say i would be too happy walking down the cut seeing black smoke bellowing out from someones fire where some prat is burning off oil...think of them poor polar bears trying to swim 50-60 miles to find a bit of ice to rest on because the polar caps are melting...

A bit far for you to go but CRT have a facility at Limehouse, or did, for old oil and batteries. I either buy my oil from a boatyard on the condition that they will take the old oil or I go online to find the nearest HWRC.

Have just spent 6 weeks on the G & S. A lot of the refuse points had cans of oil dumped at them then one day they had all gone. The bridge keeper said they collect it regularly and take it to Sharpness where they use it for something.

In my early days in the motor trade it was common to burn old oil in the heaters. When that ended for environmental reasons it was stored in tanks and collected in bulk, presumably for a payment - to the garage, not the collector - and recycled. Presumably like a lot of things, the cost of collection is too much to allow payment now.

Regards

Pete

Burning it is OK if you do it properly - we often use a mix cotton waste soaked in old oil to get the fire started or just on its own to warm the boat up on a cold day when the fire might otherwise be out. Remember every internal combustion engined vehicle in the country is doing the same thing so a bit of smoke from the odd boat isn't going to make a huge difference. Whatever you do with it, it will end up being burned one way or another because you cannot put it back in the ground . . .

bit naughty burning off oil...i know coal is not as not good for our environment so i will try to use as much free wood as i can...cant say i would be too happy walking down the cut seeing black smoke bellowing out from someones fire where some prat is burning off oil...think of them poor polar bears trying to swim 50-60 miles to find a bit of ice to rest on because the polar caps are melting...

Wwwaaaaat!ohmy.png

What i like about those stats are, they are only reliable from when they fitted the first gps recorder to a bear, prior to that we dont know if Polar bears used to swim 100 miles trying to find a suitable iceflowe with adequate amount of seal for them to consume.

Lazy Bears,

Burning it is OK if you do it properly - we often use a mix cotton waste soaked in old oil to get the fire started or just on its own to warm the boat up on a cold day when the fire might otherwise be out. Remember every internal combustion engined vehicle in the country is doing the same thing so a bit of smoke from the odd boat isn't going to make a huge difference. Whatever you do with it, it will end up being burned one way or another because you cannot put it back in the ground . . .

wot e said

Waste lubricating oil can have lots of nasties in it, which I believe is why we are discouraged from burning it these days.

Tim