Visitor mooring in Oxford

Speedwell

Featured Posts

The last 5000 meters of the Oxford (Dukes Cut to Hythe Bridge), though not as glamourous as some canal cities is interesting, varied, noisy, quiet smelly, lively etc. There are a number of boats that dont move, there are a number of boats that can't move. There are several interesting boats and many boats that need some TLC. One or two boats that seem to have started a new career as skips.

It is however a canal and as such worthy of a visit. You can never say you have done the Oxford unless you have done that last bit, right down to Hythe Bridge. You dont have to revers out of the Residential Arm you can reverse into it and drive out in forward gear.

I love it because the history is long and varied. You can still meet people there that remember the coal boats who will talk about the 'good old days'. One old chap still carries a windlass to help at the lock.

You can see where the canal went under Hythe bridge and exited on the other side. The wharf now long gone was not in the car park as many will tell you but under Nuffield college, which I think was built in the late 50s early 60s. Back up the canal you can just about see evidence of the lift bridge south of Aristotle Lane Bridge and the old coal wharf on the northside of Aristotle Lane Bridge. The Anchor Inn here has fine food and history to boot. It used to be known as Dollys Hut.

Before you get to Frenchey Road bridge there is a nature reserve and above the bridge is the remains of the Morris electric bridge. St Edwards lift bridge I am told was built by the pupils and staff of St Eds school though I have not yet confirmed this.

In Wolvercote is the site of the only legal brothel in the country on a narrow boat. It were there back in the war and as there was no law against it (it had some Royal ascent(sp) from of Queen Anne) the police resorted to drilling holes in the hull to sink it. There is also the remains of a coal wharf at Wolvercote. The Plough at Wolvercote serves Ostrich Steak on Thursdays.

If you miss the canal by going down the river it will be your loss.

If you walk across the foot bridge at Isis Lock and follow the path along Sheepwash channel you will come to an old railway swing bridge long since disuded but plans are afoot to restore it.

Depite the old boats in the Mill Stream this is a very nice interesting piece of waterway

Edited by Maffi
  • Greenie 1

there are a few 'iffy' boats on the Mill Stream

Shurely "Iffley boats"?

Maffi, your picture link does not work ("page could not be found") but I am intrigued: what are there "smashed-up boats with people on them"? Have vandals been active in the area, or did a tree fall on them?

We went down to Oxford a couple of weeks ago and what an improvement since the last time we were there a few years ago. Apart from going along to the very end, past the residential boats, the stretch from isis lock north is all visitor moorings for quite a way. We went expecting to have difficulty finding a space but we had lots of choice. The long lines of boats in poor condition which used to be a feature of the approcah to Oxford seem to have been tidied up and although there are long stretches of long term moorings, they are no longer depressing looking. We did find it strange though that there were stretches with notices attached quite high up at the back of the towpath telling boaters that they couldn't moor there as it was a conservation area. We wondered if this is another way of saying that the residents don't want you there. Didn't look much like a conservation area to us. You would need very good eye sight or binoculars to be able to read the notices from your boat in the middle of the canal.

We were very pleasantly surprised by the state of moorings in Oxford.

haggis

Maybe C&RT's new policy on moorings is doing some good ?

The "No Mooring, Conservation Area" signs were certainly there a couple of years ago when we went down there. I presume it is because they are in the Jericho area.

They have been there for several years, I think they first started appearing not long after the Agenda 21 moorings came into being.

Rather than take pot luck - how's about considering taking out a Thames visitor licence?

Not cheap, but the moorings are very good; you can moor above Osney lock and the moorings are surprisingly quiet.

Alternatively there's a longer run of delightful moorings opposite Christchurch meadows.

Get your licence at either King's lock (if entering via Duke's Cut) or at Osney lock.

Effectively covers you for two days.

Otherwise you could consider stopping at Banbury and taking the train (I think the bus is a bit slow)

Ditto - at Lower Heyford - the train runs alongside the cut

OR at Thrupp where the few ST moorings are delicious - bus into the City

By taking the first option above, you have the advantage of finding a mooring on the canal, then moving onto the River if they're full!

Are the Osney and Christchurch moorings Free?. Are there time limits?

Edited by valrene9600

Are the Osney and Christchurch moorings Free?. Are there time limits?

Osney is free for 24 hours - but if you chat up the lockie he might be understanding. Otherwise there's an escalating charge to deter the permanent...

CC meadows is (are) free and with a view to boot.