cruisers

Timx

Featured Posts

Boats for sale with sea toilets,which advertise -boat safe for cruising rivers, canals and off shore ,how do they cope with extended canal use,can these toilets be used somehow,apart from abuse of the rules,is there an adaption to pumpout or what do theydo as I'D be interested but only want one for canal use, any sensible advice appreciated.

Boats for sale with sea toilets,which advertise -boat safe for cruising rivers, canals and off shore ,how do they cope with extended canal use,can these toilets be used somehow,apart from abuse of the rules,is there an adaption to pumpout or what do theydo as I'D be interested but only want one for canal use, any sensible advice appreciated.

Sometimes toilets are advertised as "sea toilet" when in fact they are the sort that has a plunger that evacuates the bowl to a holding tank as opposed to a portapottie or cassette.

Again some sea toilets fitted to boats have a diverter valve which can be switched between a holding tank and "outside

Finally they may be a sea toilet proper ie directed out of the boat. It is not too hard a job to fit a holding tank, you can even get flexible holding tanks, in essence a bag. Our first boat had a bag such as this which sat in the void between the cabin side and the side of the hull, though I did eventually change it.

Phil

A general rule is that if you are pumping overboard you need to be atleast 2 miles out to sea before you can, I'm not sure what regulations there are on canals about pumping waste into a canal but I don't think it is legal environmentally.

A general rule is that if you are pumping overboard you need to be atleast 2 miles out to sea before you can, I'm not sure what regulations there are on canals about pumping waste into a canal but I don't think it is legal environmentally.

I don't know of any two mile rule

yeah, there is, allthough it's more on boats that use sea water and not on canals.

allthough there is no UK law but as a genral rule only.

Edited by Dar Kuma

It is against the CRT byelaws to pump waste overboard but who said that they were?

We use our boat on the coast as well as inland and only pump it overboard where it is permitted to do so. And i think you have made up the two mile ruleunsure.png

yeah, there is, allthough it's more on boats that use sea water and not on canals.

allthough there is no UK law but as a genral rule only.

What nonsense.

There is no such "general rule" at all and it is perfectly acceptable to use your sea toilet anywhere around the coast and on tidal waters unless local bylaws or harbour rules forbid it.

if you think I'm talking nonsense I don't care, you can however read it all here.

I already knew this as I have actually owned a yacht in falmouth, so maybe I am not full of nonsense,

plus any good coastal marina will tell you.

http://www.sailtrain.co.uk/environment/environment.htm

Edited by Dar Kuma

if you think I'm talking nonsense I don't care, you can however read it all here.

I already knew this as I have actually owned a yacht in falmouth, so maybe I am not full of nonsense,

plus any good coastal marina will tell you.

http://www.sailtrain.co.uk/environment/environment.htm

Sorry but it is nonsense to suggest that there is a general rule prohibiting the use of sea toilets within 2 miles of the coast, whatever you may believe.

I'm not sure why you provided a link that contradicts your 2 mile rule, either.

where does it contradict?

I don't want to step on anyones toes here, I think you should read it a bit more carefully.

Good practice:

• Use the facilities ashore when possible.

• Do not discharge toilets in to non-tidal are weak tide areas (locked marinas).

• Do not discharge near bathing beaches, busy anchorages or shell fish farms.

• If possible fit and use a holding tank, discharge it in a proper facility or at least 3 miles offshore.

• Do not empty chemical toilets in to the sea.

Well as it suggests that it is good practice (no rules mentioned) not to discharge toilets in non-tidal or "weak tide" areas I would suggest that they feel it is fine to discharge anywhere else where there is a good tide.

The only distances mentioned are when they suggest emptying holding tanks at least 3 miles offshore....Good advice but still no mention of a rule.

and I did say as a general rule, used by most coastal yachts and boats, it really is common sense, if you feel that it isn't I spose you would like to a see a turd floating past you when paddling on a beach.

3 miles is it, well, that only shows it is reinforcing what I have typed.

and by the way, this was my yacht in falmouth.

67378_10150296871100441_5012257_n.jpg

Edited by Dar Kuma

and I did say as a general rule, used by most coastal yachts and boats, it really is common sense, if you feel that it isn't I spose you would like to a see a turd floating past you when paddling on a beach.

3 miles is it, well, that only shows it is reinforcing what I have typed.

3 miles for a holding tank, not for pumping out a sea toilet.

Common sense has nothing whatsoever to do with "general rules" and I simply don't believe that there is anything written anywhere that you should not discharge your Sea Toilet within 2 miles of the coast, apart from what is written here and if it were the case then every boat would have to carry a porta-potti or holding tank to abide by such a ridiculous rule.

You typed about rules...there is nothing in your link that reinforces what you have typed.

it is not a written law, as I keep stating it is a general rule, you can actually get fined for doing it if they catch you like they would fine you if they caught you doing it on the canal I'm sure.

within the community of yachtsmen and boaters on coastal areas it is very frowned upon and could get you into serious trouble, that is why it is a general rule, you simply don't do it.

like speeding past moored boats at 9 knots, you simply don't do it do you.

please stop being so anal about this.

I recall being told that you can flush a sea toilet on inland waterways as long as there is no more than one lock between you and the tideway. Where is cruise (River Ure/Ouse) that means you're OK bleow Linton lock as the only lock below that is at Naburn - just south of York.

This is only what I have been told - I do not present this as law so please don't flame the bejesus out of me if it's incorrect!

Edited by jez1954

it is not a written law, as I keep stating it is a general rule, you can actually get fined for doing it if they catch you like they would fine you if they caught you doing it on the canal I'm sure.

No you can't!

within the community of yachtsmen and boaters on coastal areas it is very frowned upon

No it isn't.

It is you who is being anal by inventing "rules" where they don't exist and ascribing standards within a community that are nonsense.

You do not discharge your sea-toiled where harbour rules prohibit it but, other than that, on tidal waters you can do it where you like and if this wasn't the case it would be impossible to keep a coastal boat without a holding tank or cassette toilet.

Edited by carlt

within the community of yachtsmen and boaters on coastal areas it is very frowned upon and could get you into serious trouble, that is why it is a general rule, you simply don't do it.

like speeding past moored boats at 9 knots, you simply don't do it do you.

please stop being so anal about this.

the problem is that the information you are imparting is factually incorrect and very mis-leading. I knew nothing about where it was illegal to empty a sea toilet and could have gone on to believe what you have said was correct - when it transpires it is nothing of the sort.

if it's not illegal just where is the source of the 'serious trouble' going to come from? - if you post factually incorrect information on here you will find it will be corrected by somebody who know's it to be.

PS - I really like your yacht BTW.

and by the way, this was my yacht in falmouth.

I didn't realise owning a sea boat made you correct but, to redress the balance my first was a 50 year old Bermudan Sloop bought in 1983, my last was this (Blakes Baby to port, Thetford Cassette to Starboard):

pasb-1.jpg

and my next, fingers crossed will be a Dunkirk Little Ship.

Edited by carlt

when did you actually last own a coastal boat, applies to both members saying otherwise.

now look, I really can't be bothered arguing the toss with a half breed canal boat user that maybe owned a coastal boat 10+ years ago, allthough that is my assumption on my part but jesus h christ, maybe the rules have changed a bit since you owned a coastal boat, And I'm pretty sure an environmental angency or some other body would be up your ass if they caught you dumping black waste near to a beach.

have a look round the coast of cornwall sometime, you see all those little villages and beaches on the coast, this is why we don't flush our toilets in inland waters.

read that fecking article again and I mean all of it, It does state that some yachts do have have a holding tank, mine did.

I guess you have your ettiquete and we have ours....ffs

junior, while you can but you really can't if close to the coast.

Edited by Dar Kuma

when did you actually last own a coastal boat, applies to both members saying otherwise.

now look, I really can't be bothered arguing the toss with a half breed canal boat user that maybe owned a coastal boat 10+ years ago, allthough that is my assumption on my part but jesus h christ, maybe the rules have changed a bit since you owned a coastal boat, And I'm pretty sure an environmental angency or some other body would be up your ass if they caught you dumping black waste near to a beach.

I sold my last sea boat 2 years ago so you are wrong yet again.

My current boat is on a tidal river and is allowed to have a sea toilet despite being located several miles inland, further proof that you are wrong.

Unless you can find some evidence that some other body will be "up my ass" I'm afraid I have to say you are talking out of yours.

If you're going to talk crap, you do yourself no favours with an accompanying hissy fit.

Just for clarity; there are no laws regulating disposal of sewage at sea unless 1. You carry more than 15 people or your vessel is over 400 tonnes. That's none, zilch, nada.

Your boat being less than that and built before 2006 is subject to no laws concerning sewage in tidal waters.

Boats after 2006 need a holding tank as part of the RCD but again, there are no laws governing its use.

There is plenty of guidance on best practice that broadly accord with your views but none of them are law and none of them attract penalties for breach.

(Did you pay £6,200 for the narrow boat?)

ps feel free to make whatever assumptions you like about my knowledge and experience, you've already been wrong so many times a few more will make no difference.

Snipped; lots of bullshit

I'm hardly having a hissy as you call it, And Chris, that is what I was actually getting at, best practices, i didn't say it was law or anything of the kind, just some people I think feel the need to try and belittle a comment and try to turn it into an argument.

No, I didn't get the narrowboat, no internal piccies and a severe lack of information.

That being said I know I don't know everything about boating and never claimed i did, and you made the same assumptions about me I'm sure....

best practices/general rule, isn't it all the same in a non offiical capacity.

Edited by Dar Kuma

best practices/general rule, isn't it all the same in a non offiical capacity.

No it's not.

"Best Practice" is someone advising you what they think you should do "General Rule" is someone telling you what to do.

You have said "you can actually get fined for doing it if they catch you" and "I'm pretty sure an environmental angency or some other body would be up your ass if they caught you" which is complete nonsense.

If you are on tidal waters then there is no requirement to have a holding tank and you can discharge your sea toilet overboard. This is a fact.