Rubbing people's noses in it

mayalld

Featured Posts

Out and about over the weekend, we passed a number of boats that may or may not have been licenced (not displaying a current licence), but one in particular caught the attention.

The boat in question had a BW licence in the window, but the disk had been very obviously modified. The coloured band which ought to have shown the expiry date had been covered over with a coloured piece of paper, on with was written in felt tip pen "Here by Right".

I'm afraid that such sympathy as I have for people who due to circumstances find themselves unable to afford a licence, or without a licence due to non-compliance that was not deliberate, evaporates in an instant when faced with somebody who thinks it clever to parade his unlicenced and unpaying status in this way.

If he has a right to be there (as is implied by his note) then perhaps he is choosing not to display his current disc and merely displaying an invalid one to provide enough information for an authorised person to check his status but a "mind your own business" message to others.

Or perhaps I am jumping to conclusions....

Edited by carlt

So have you checked this boats licence status? CaRT have made it clear that they are going to be moving away from the display your licence requirement.

At Gnossal,several people commented on a boat on the long term moorings which had its moorings licence 4 years OOD and Boat licence 3.

Do we actually know that the owner just hasn't been to the boat in that time and the licences are fully up to date, no.

Do we know whether this boat is in the enforcement process as we speak, no.

There is another (sinking)waterbug on the offside moorings by the Brewood Hire base which is displaying a licence which is 11/02. Do we know that this is unlicenced, no.

Enjoy your cruising Dave.

If he has a right to be there (as is implied by his note) then perhaps he is choosing not to display his current disc and merely displaying an invalid one to provide enough information for an authorised person to check his status but a "mind your own business" message to others.

Or perhaps I am jumping to conclusions....

I thought the boat licence status could simply be checked by use of the Index number and perhaps name too, why not just as well take the licence down.

'Here by right' written on an out of date licence does rather to me sound as somebody is taking the Mickey and being deliberately provocative about it.

ed. our boat is not displaying it's current licence because as happens each year I forget to take it to the boat, but I don't feel the need to write anything on the old one because I know as soon as CRT check our boat it will come up as licenced.

As for anybody else thinking it might not be I don't care because it's none of their business.

Edited by The Dog House

why not just as well take the licence down.

That is exactly what I did, except if there was no index number on my boat when I would display an out of date licence.

'Here by right' written on an out of date licence does rather to me sound as somebody is taking the Mickey and being deliberately provocative about it.

That may be the conclusion you reach but I see it as a provocative "mind your own business" statement which doesn't imply any Mickey taking whatsoever.

The written word can be interpreted in many different ways.

The written word can be interpreted in many different ways.

Amen to that...

But if it was me and I really felt the need to write something on an out of date disc (which I wouldn't) I would just write in plain english 'Boat licensed'.

So have you checked this boats licence status?

Yes.

The boat licence checker doesn't even recognise the index number.

Jim Shead's site does recognise the boat, under the index number shown, and shows that it WAS licenced last year.

It would appear that CRT have been told that the boat has been removed from its waters.

It would appear that CRT have been told that the boat has been removed from its waters.

How long ago?

Last time I looked there were boats still on the snitch site database that had been removed by BW from its waters several years ago.

How long ago?

Last time I looked there were boats still on the snitch site database that had been removed by BW from its waters several years ago.

I believe, from aconverstaion with somebody in the office at BW a while back that if you actually notify them that a boat has been removed from their waters or broken up, which usually only happens when you claim a refund of licence, they will delete the record. Otherwise, if a licence has simply expired, the record remains.

I believe, from aconverstaion with somebody in the office at BW a while back that if you actually notify them that a boat has been removed from their waters or broken up, which usually only happens when you claim a refund of licence, they will delete the record. Otherwise, if a licence has simply expired, the record remains.

That must be true then if BW have told you so.

The fact remains that many boats that have been removed and broken up by BW themselves have remained on the snitch site for many years.

That must be true then if BW have told you so.

The fact remains that many boats that have been removed and broken up by BW themselves have remained on the snitch site for many years.

That is indeed the case, and proves that the processes aren't joined up.

However, to return to the original post, it appears that there is every evidence that this boat is NOT currently licenced, and that the owner is sticking two fingers up at the rest of us.

I remain ready to hold my hands up and say "I was wrong" if I am incorrect as to this interpretation of events, and for this very reason, I have chosen not to "name and shame" the offender on the forum. Instead, I have passed the information on to CRT, to enable them to investigate.

• Greenie 4

I have passed the information on to CRT, to enable them to investigate.

Is this the done thing if you see a boat who's displayed license is expired?

If I've just read a different post correctly, it is not an offense to NOT display your current license so long as you do have one??

I saw 2 boats at Braunston over the weekend within 100m of the Stop House that had OOD licenses. I did think it a bit cheeky at the time but no concern of mine.

I'm sure CaRT have better things to do than follow up reports of OOD licenses to then find out they are not in fact OOD but just 'not being displayed'.

If I've just read a different post correctly, it is not an offense to NOT display your current license so long as you do have one??

No it is an offence not to display a valid licence.

I never displayed mine, running the risk of prosecution, because I believe that my financial affairs are a private matter between myself and the relevant authority and a licence disc's sole purpose is to satisfy the curtain twitchers who feel they have a right to meddle in others' affairs.

I always displayed my index number (sometimes on an invalid licence disc) which is all the information CRT needs to satisfy themselves of a boat's status.

Other people may disagree with my stance and I respect their right to do so.

Is this the done thing if you see a boat who's displayed license is expired?

I saw 2 boats at Braunston over the weekend within 100m of the Stop House that had OOD licenses. I did think it a bit cheeky at the time but no concern of mine.

I'm sure CaRT have better things to do than follow up reports of OOD licenses to then find out they are not in fact OOD but just 'not being displayed'.

Technically you are actually supposed to display your licence, it's a requirement to do so, however CRT to the best of my knowledge (sensibly) have never taken action against anyone for simply not displaying one on a licensed boat.

Strictly you are supposed to both have one AND display it.

However they no longer need to see a current licence to establish if a boat is actually licensed or not, and haven't done for some time AFAIK.

No it is an offence not to display a valid licence.

I never displayed mine, running the risk of prosecution, because I believe that my financial affairs are a private matter between myself and the relevant authority and a licence disc's sole purpose is to satisfy the curtain twitchers who feel they have a right to meddle in others' affairs.

I always displayed my index number (sometimes on an invalid licence disc) which is all the information CRT needs to satisfy themselves of a boat's status.

Other people may disagree with my stance and I respect their right to do so.

Do you feel the same about displaying a tax disc on your car?

• Greenie 3

No I have never been done (edited to add, in 30 years of motoring and boating).

I have been into the police station with my tax disc, when I received a sticker and was told that they had no interest in seeing the disc and, as the sticker said, they had reported the lack of a disc to DVLA who would take action only if the car wasn't taxed.

Nowadays, with ANPR, the police and DVLA don't even bother looking at tax discs at all.

Edited by carlt

No I have never been done.

I have been into the police station with my tax disc, when I received a sticker and was told that they had no interest in seeing the disc and, as the sticker said, they had reported the lack of a disc to DVLA who would take action only if the car wasn't taxed.

Nowadays, with ANPR, the police and DVLA don't even bother looking at tax discs at all.

It beats me why the police still issue 'producers' given they can instantly check stuff at the roadside including,tax, mot and insurance these days.

I enquired of the officer who last issued me with one and he couldn't explain either.

It beats me why the police still issue 'producers' given they can instantly check stuff at the roadside including,tax, mot and insurance these days.

I enquired of the officer who last issued me with one and he couldn't explain either.

It's an offence not to have the relevant piece of paper so I guess they could do you for that, if they felt so inclined.

I haven't had a producer for years, any checks always being done, as you say, on the patrol car computer.

I assume the sticker I once received was by an enthusiastic officer on foot.

Edited by carlt