Best map for the K&A

blackrose

Featured Posts

Having spoken to some boaters about the K&A I'm concerned that I don't know exactly where the weirs and streams come in and out of the canal. Which are the best guides or maps to show me the problem areas before I reach them? I'll be travelling from Reading to Bristol - are the weirs, etc, visible and obvious before you reach them or are there some which can take you by surprise if you don't know about them?

Edited by blackrose

It's not the scary trip people seem to make it out to be. The main thing to be aware of is that that the locks are in general at the bottom of the lock cuts. So going up most locks will have a weir somewhere about. Woolhampton being the only really tricky one and that mainly going downstream.

Must say I have never found the Watersccape guides much use!

In general weir streams are not a big issue, especially going upstream, but if there is a lot of flow the Kennet does needs a lot of care.

At county lock watch out for an eddy near the lock landing that pulls you out just when you think you are safe!

Fobney can be a bit tricky, try not to go to the end of the lock landing else the waterfall will push the front out

At Woolhampton follow the path of the river (keep right) and turn into the lock at the last moment, do NOT head straight for the lock.

Newbury is not nearly as bad as it looks as long as you have enough power to get up! Aim for the centre of the bridge and don't overcompensation for what you think the flow from the right might do!!! (It bounces off the wall and pushes just as much the other way!)

Bath to Bristol needs care, the flow comes up very quickly if it rains. The lock landing is a bit exposed to the flow on one of the locks if you have a long boat, but a really good plan is to do a virtual cruise on Google Earth beforehand so you know where to look for the lock cuts!!!! Better than any guide book.

...........Dave

If lock 1 is Blakes lock at Reading

Lock 1, landing stage on right Old Thames style Lock with no need for a windlass

Length 1-2, big weir above lock try to keep left of centre but not too far left as it's often shallow, traffic lights on right just past prison loop, and before High Bridge, take a bow line off and follow instructions on lights, basically press the button then when light turns green proceed through High Bridge (anything but high BTW) into and through the shopping centre to Lock 2

Lock 2, mooring stage on left moor up using both bow and stern lines as the approach suffers from a strange back eddy from the weir, so be prepared for the bow to move to the right just as you approach the lock.

Length 2-3, all river, quiet twisty and tight in places.

Lock 3, Fobney, lock approach quite tight, you will see the brick building of Fobney pump station, the lock landing is on the right with a by weir near the lock, if flowing hard this can be a bugger, i stop short of it and shimmy down the side of the boat to set the lock. This lock is a bit of a bugger, takes ages to fill the last couple of inches due to twisted bottom gates, be patient!

Reach 3-4, starts as shallow sided canal then enters river section again (river exits left) round a couple of sweeping bends you will see what appears at first glance to be a low bridge across your path the lock cut exits to the right of the bridge.

Lock 4, Southcote simple enough weir on left as you exit

Reach 4-5, flowing canal leading into river, a line of boats will appear on the right, be aware that a river stream will enter the canal from the right then exit again over a weir on the left, in normal conditions this is quite tame but recent water levels have meant that cross flow can be quite dangerous/tricky/scarey etc etc. Keeping straight on past Burghfield island moorings through burghfield bridge (can be a bit of a pig in high flow conditions) past the cunning man under a foot bridge and keep right up the lock cut to Burghfield lock

Lock 5, Burghfield OK lock, a bit tatty one of the shortest on the canal, keep an eye out for bolts sticking out, its a 'scratcher'

Reach 5-6 starts out canal, soon turns to river, with the river exiting to the left, lots of twists and turns have fun! go under the M4 and the next lock cut is on the left.

Lock 6, turf sided lock should be left empty takes a while to fill

Reach 6-7, straight forward canal, shallow at sides.

Lock 7, shallow & wide lock

Reach 7-8, weir on right don't cut corner as its very shallow, bridge landing on left take bow line as it's flowing canal, swing bridge needs BW Key. Up a short stretch of flowing canal onto the river, next lock landing on left.

Lock 8, straight forward enough nowadays

Reach 8-9 starts out shallow sided canal, swingbridge (windlass needed) canal then onto River (river exits right over weir) river twists and turns a little to Tyle Mill (services) lock/bridge mooring on Right

Lock 9 has a swingbridge immediatly below it, fully prepare lock before setting bridge.

Reach 9-10 canal, soon into river, canal exits right to swingbridge, through swingbridge along canal to lock landing on right, depending on water levels there may be a bywier but you will see that at the lock end of the landing.

Lock 10, big scarey lock, has gate paddles high up and when filling can quite easily catch out the casual operator and fill the boat's well deck in an instant. Every year many, many boats get caught by this lock (not as notorious as Woolhampton but I think its more of a pain than woolie)

Reach 10-11 canal with one swing bridge halfway along BW key

Lock 11, straight forward

Reach 11-12, canal, can be tight for width due to hire base, to swing bridge BW Key (has time restrictions) to lock on left.

Lock 12, straight forward but bottom gates are quite heavy to operate

Reach 12-13, canal for a mile or so, then turn right onto River, a bit twisty to start then under footbridge, keep on, the flow will get stronger on a left right kink just after a pill box on right, keep on and you will see the bridge landing on left just past a pipe bridge. Welcome to Woolhampton! Make sure you take a bow line off with you and tie off properly you may be there a while.

Woolhampton. Lock 13

Leaving the boat on the bridge moorings, walk up to the lock, have a good look at what you've got to do, set the lock empty with the bottom gates open, make sure no other crews are going to set the lock against you! If you are single handed the next bit is a real pain, i just ask a passer by to help by shutting the bridge after i've gone through to the lock. Open the bridge (BW Key) steer the boat through the bridge 'ole try to keep the bow pointing into the current and not across it, i take a wide line and then gently ease to bow to the right into the lock tail, but others seem to think that speed is the answer, & they take a straighter fatser line. the choice is yours! Once in the lock is straight forward.

That's is for now as I need to work, all this is just from memory and if i've forgotten any bits and bobs I appologise and others are very welcome to add their views/experiences :blush:

Hello GSer!

Thats better than Waterscape!

We are in Hungerford right now and the boat behind us, with new and inexperienced owners, is trying to get to Oxford.

Is the Kennet safely navigable at the moment????

.........Dave

Hello GSer!

We are in Hungerford right now and the boat behind us, with new and inexperienced owners, is trying to get to Oxford.

.........Dave

Hi Dave

Just looking locally, I'd not fancy it, it is dropping at the moment but more rain is expected later in the week. The Thames is on Reds and will be for at least a few days, boaters this end have been told to sit still and stay safe. Hungerford's nice plenty of pubs and a shop of two, i'd stay there.

Not too sure whats happening with Abingdon lock either, i've also heard rumours about delays in the schedule ranging from a week to a month!

I'm not going to bother waiting, getting craned out tomorrow and plonked back in above Oxford/Cherwell somewhere. :blush:

Hello GSer!

.........Dave

Hi Dave,

Still flowing strongly through Newbury and beyond, C&RT advice is not to navigate from Kintbury to Reading at the moment. I suspect it is ok if you know the river and what you are doing but new and inexperienced! The Thames as well is running pretty fast at the moment on red boards all the way to Oxford.

:cheers:

Ken

Hello GSer!

.........Dave

Hi we have just come from kintbury to newbury all ok but between Higg's & Guyer's lock the water level is very low scraped the bottum a few times.

• Greenie 1

You might find this guide useful and when you get down towards Hanham my friend Trevor (Lock Keeper at Hanham) will be a mine of useful information. Understand Hanham lock is still closed but boats still able to get down onto the tidal section at Spring tides.

Thanks for that.

If lock 1 is Blakes lock at Reading

Lock 1, landing stage on right Old Thames style Lock with no need for a windlass

Length 1-2, big weir above lock try to keep left of centre but not too far left as it's often shallow, traffic lights on right just past prison loop, and before High Bridge, take a bow line off and follow instructions on lights, basically press the button then when light turns green proceed through High Bridge (anything but high BTW) into and through the shopping centre to Lock 2

Lock 2, mooring stage on left moor up using both bow and stern lines as the approach suffers from a strange back eddy from the weir, so be prepared for the bow to move to the right just as you approach the lock.

Length 2-3, all river, quiet twisty and tight in places.

Lock 3, Fobney, lock approach quite tight, you will see the brick building of Fobney pump station, the lock landing is on the right with a by weir near the lock, if flowing hard this can be a bugger, i stop short of it and shimmy down the side of the boat to set the lock. This lock is a bit of a bugger, takes ages to fill the last couple of inches due to twisted bottom gates, be patient!

Reach 3-4, starts as shallow sided canal then enters river section again (river exits left) round a couple of sweeping bends you will see what appears at first glance to be a low bridge across your path the lock cut exits to the right of the bridge.

Lock 4, Southcote simple enough weir on left as you exit

Reach 4-5, flowing canal leading into river, a line of boats will appear on the right, be aware that a river stream will enter the canal from the right then exit again over a weir on the left, in normal conditions this is quite tame but recent water levels have meant that cross flow can be quite dangerous/tricky/scarey etc etc. Keeping straight on past Burghfield island moorings through burghfield bridge (can be a bit of a pig in high flow conditions) past the cunning man under a foot bridge and keep right up the lock cut to Burghfield lock

Lock 5, Burghfield OK lock, a bit tatty one of the shortest on the canal, keep an eye out for bolts sticking out, its a 'scratcher'

Reach 5-6 starts out canal, soon turns to river, with the river exiting to the left, lots of twists and turns have fun! go under the M4 and the next lock cut is on the left.

Lock 6, turf sided lock should be left empty takes a while to fill

Reach 6-7, straight forward canal, shallow at sides.

Lock 7, shallow & wide lock

Reach 7-8, weir on right don't cut corner as its very shallow, bridge landing on left take bow line as it's flowing canal, swing bridge needs BW Key. Up a short stretch of flowing canal onto the river, next lock landing on left.

Lock 8, straight forward enough nowadays

Reach 8-9 starts out shallow sided canal, swingbridge (windlass needed) canal then onto River (river exits right over weir) river twists and turns a little to Tyle Mill (services) lock/bridge mooring on Right

Lock 9 has a swingbridge immediatly below it, fully prepare lock before setting bridge.

Reach 9-10 canal, soon into river, canal exits right to swingbridge, through swingbridge along canal to lock landing on right, depending on water levels there may be a bywier but you will see that at the lock end of the landing.

Lock 10, big scarey lock, has gate paddles high up and when filling can quite easily catch out the casual operator and fill the boat's well deck in an instant. Every year many, many boats get caught by this lock (not as notorious as Woolhampton but I think its more of a pain than woolie)

Reach 10-11 canal with one swing bridge halfway along BW key

Lock 11, straight forward

Reach 11-12, canal, can be tight for width due to hire base, to swing bridge BW Key (has time restrictions) to lock on left.

Lock 12, straight forward but bottom gates are quite heavy to operate

Reach 12-13, canal for a mile or so, then turn right onto River, a bit twisty to start then under footbridge, keep on, the flow will get stronger on a left right kink just after a pill box on right, keep on and you will see the bridge landing on left just past a pipe bridge. Welcome to Woolhampton! Make sure you take a bow line off with you and tie off properly you may be there a while.

Woolhampton. Lock 13

Leaving the boat on the bridge moorings, walk up to the lock, have a good look at what you've got to do, set the lock empty with the bottom gates open, make sure no other crews are going to set the lock against you! If you are single handed the next bit is a real pain, i just ask a passer by to help by shutting the bridge after i've gone through to the lock. Open the bridge (BW Key) steer the boat through the bridge 'ole try to keep the bow pointing into the current and not across it, i take a wide line and then gently ease to bow to the right into the lock tail, but others seem to think that speed is the answer, & they take a straighter fatser line. the choice is yours! Once in the lock is straight forward.

That's is for now as I need to work, all this is just from memory and if i've forgotten any bits and bobs I appologise and others are very welcome to add their views/experiences :blush:

Now that's what I call a comprehensive reply! Thanks

Hi Dave

Just looking locally, I'd not fancy it, it is dropping at the moment but more rain is expected later in the week. The Thames is on Reds and will be for at least a few days, boaters this end have been told to sit still and stay safe. Hungerford's nice plenty of pubs and a shop of two, i'd stay there.

Not too sure whats happening with Abingdon lock either, i've also heard rumours about delays in the schedule ranging from a week to a month!

I'm not going to bother waiting, getting craned out tomorrow and plonked back in above Oxford/Cherwell somewhere. :blush:

Plenty of pubs but no great ones!

The wonderful John O Gaunt is still closed, looks like it might open soon but I've had a peep through the window and somehow I don't think its going to be even a shadow of its former self: looks somewhat posh so I expect old hippies and lurchers won't be welcome!

We are going to go back to the long pound, and maybe Bath, then hopefully the Kennet will be nice and sedate in May.

Good luck with the big move.

We are doing Brum, Manchester and the Liverpool link again in the summer (enjoyed it so much last year) so maybe we could meet up for a drink up North????

...........Dave

After Blake's and before County going through Reading I find it easier to moor on the left and walk over the footbridge to press the button on the traffic light. There are bollards just past the bridge but if someone is moored there I can usually find somewhere to tie up close to the footbridge. The "landing" for the traffic lights can be a pain if you're on your own as they sometimes take ages to change regardless of whether there is anything coming down.

The Kennet is dropping steadily - 6 inches in the last 12 hours. I recon it will be OK to navigate by the weekend.

does anyone know if the Devizes ot Westminster canoe race will be cancelled if the Thames is still on red boards at the weekend?

The Kennet is dropping steadily - 6 inches in the last 12 hours. I recon it will be OK to navigate by the weekend.

does anyone know if the Devizes ot Westminster canoe race will be cancelled if the Thames is still on red boards at the weekend?

I reckon if they can manage the portage round Froxfield locks, which are currently a building site with soft mud two feet deep, then the Thames will be no problem, canoeists are generally much happier in flowing water than narrow boaters. I really hope that CaRT are going to do something at Froxfield for the race or it is quite possible that someone is going to get hurt.

.......Dave

Plenty of pubs but no great ones!

The wonderful John O Gaunt is still closed, looks like it might open soon but I've had a peep through the window and somehow I don't think its going to be even a shadow of its former self: looks somewhat posh so I expect old hippies and lurchers won't be welcome!

We are going to go back to the long pound, and maybe Bath, then hopefully the Kennet will be nice and sedate in May.

Good luck with the big move.

We are doing Brum, Manchester and the Liverpool link again in the summer (enjoyed it so much last year) so maybe we could meet up for a drink up North????

...........Dave

Bath past BNB is pretty full

Having spoken to some boaters about the K&A I'm concerned that I don't know exactly where the weirs and streams come in and out of the canal. Which are the best guides or maps to show me the problem areas before I reach them? I'll be travelling from Reading to Bristol - are the weirs, etc, visible and obvious before you reach them or are there some which can take you by surprise if you don't know about them?

Get the Nicholson's guide. It has navigational notes and the maps are pretty clear. More importantly it lists the good pubs!

Most if not all of the weirs are signed as you approach them, however that didn't stop a "why am I going sideways?" moment a few weeks ago! I wasn't paying attention...

We've almost finished moving from Reading to Bradford on Avon. The parts that have given us the most trouble were Newbury Bridge (getting into the lock was fine once we were through the bridge). And ironically the long pound as you approach Devizes was a right pain on Sunday. The banks have been strimmed so there is lots of debris floating in clumps, waiting to wrap itself around the prop. Of course once something gets stuck the wind will pick up so you end up going sideways with a prop full of brambles and not enough power to steer against it. I gave up after clearing the prop for the 4th time and headed for the pub (the Bridge Inn at Horton - if anyone in interested - does pretty good pub grub, chips a highlight).

I reckon if they can manage the portage round Froxfield locks, which are currently a building site with soft mud two feet deep, then the Thames will be no problem, canoeists are generally much happier in flowing water than narrow boaters. I really hope that CaRT are going to do something at Froxfield for the race or it is quite possible that someone is going to get hurt.

.......Dave

Froxfield locks are awful at the moment. There have been kayak/canoe races for the past couple of weeks so lots of the locks are very muddy from all the portag-ing, but Froxfield is a joke. It's a boggy mess with work boats moored on the lock moorings, which doesn't help.