We're in the dock

Raybo

Featured Posts

We've brought nb Rousay into the dry dock on the Macclesfield for blacking,painting the gunwhales, and a few engineering jobs, thinking the weather would be warmer than this! :o This is our first time in the dry dock. Main problem we are facing is the pressure washer is frozen solid, so we have scraped and wire brushed,but it looks like we have a long wait before we can start applying the bitumen.

Is there anything we can do to speed up the process when the pressure washer is back on line? I'm back at work after Easter.

Cheers,

Ray

We've brought nb Rousay into the dry dock on the Macclesfield for blacking,painting the gunwhales, and a few engineering jobs, thinking the weather would be warmer than this! :o This is our first time in the dry dock. Main problem we are facing is the pressure washer is frozen solid, so we have scraped and wire brushed,but it looks like we have a long wait before we can start applying the bitumen.

Is there anything we can do to speed up the process when the pressure washer is back on line? I'm back at work after Easter.

Cheers,

Ray

Get a shot blaster in :lol:

Crap weather though and it's going to hang around unfortunately.

Cheers,

Ray

Is it a covered dock, if so a propane marquee heater will help.

I'm in next week too. The bucket of hot water trick will certainly be in use! Cheers Richard!

I was hoping to delay it but it'd be the back end of summer otherwise and she really needs the bottom sorting.

Heat gun, but expensive on power!

Put the tins on the fire and brush on hot!

On the fire? :banghead: Some of the advice on this forum...

You put each tin in a bucket of hot water as Richard said, and if neccesary top up with a kettle. However if the temperatures remain below 5C warming the paint isn't going to help. I cancelled a drydock 3 years ago for the same reason and went back in summer.

This wind is quite a good drying wind though. I was in an open dock late November 2007 when it was freezing, ice in the dock ect and got away with ok. After 5 years I docked again August 20012 and was still fine after using ordinary Rylard premium bitumen paint, it would have gone another couple of years.

If your living on the boat in the dock keep the paint inside in the warm and as others have said whilst using keep in a bucket of hot water, light a fire under the bucket ''erm not a plastic one though''in the dock if they'll allow it. Make sure the hulls absolutely dry before applying, I recommend brushing on the rough waterline and below. I wouldn't risk any topside gloss painting in this weather although I've found that Rylards paints are quite forgiving within reason in cold weather.

Just don't rush it and allow longer drying times than it says on the tin.

OK, I didn't mean actually 'on' the fire, but on top of the fire as in 'where the kettle goes'.

Although come to think of it, it hasn't boiled! I need to light it too :mellow:

I know what you meant but I wouldn't put cans of bitumen on top of my fire.

Edited by blackrose

We managed to get the pressure washer working today. I wrapped the hose up last evening after the late afternoon sun had warmed it, and got the boat blasted today. The hull is drying nicely in the breeze blowing through the dock. Intertuf being delivered tomorrow morning so will be boiling kettles and applying the first coat. Trying to decide if we need to run over again with the wire brush on the angle grinder , which we already did whilst waiting for the pressure washer, or just start slapping it on.