window lickers, how to reduce the impact

magnetman

Featured Posts

Reflective window film is one solution.

Just an example...

http://www.visionwindowfilms.co.uk/Reflective-Window-Film.aspx

Edited to add: only works during daylight hours or if light outside boat is greater than inside.

Need to be careful with window tinting. Some of the tinted films are metallic based. If you us this type on the windows on a steel boat you've in effect made a large Faraday cage and you'll severely reduce the strength of radio signals inside the boat. People won't see in however phones and radios etc won't work very well either.

As already stated ther're just 20 watt led's and make little difference in bright light. No lights on here and plenty bright enough, cheers!

splashback002.jpg

You should be a politician. You talk bollox. Of course there is plenty of light here the door are open. Try doing that in a blizzard.

You should be a politician. You talk bollox. Of course there is plenty of light here the door are open. Try doing that in a blizzard.

Dear me, I'm talking bollox! :lol::lol::lol: there's hardly a lot of light in a blizzard is there :wacko:, don't you have lights on your boat for when it's dark or overcast?

And what are doors and hatches for if not to open and let in air and light, maybe yours are sealed up and you enter and exit through bus windows :wacko:

Clearly brainwashed or aspirational for portholes :lol:

Dear me, I'm talking bollox! :lol::lol::lol: there's hardly a lot of light in a blizzard is there :wacko:, don't you have lights on your boat for when it's dark or overcast?

I don't need the doors open to light the interior when its dark or overcast - I have properly sized windows that let in enough light even on dull days.

And what are doors and hatches for if not to open and let in air and light

Entering and exiting the boat?

, maybe yours are sealed up and you enter and exit through bus windows :wacko:

I'd say he was thinking clearly - you seem to be the one who has talked yourself into believing portholes let in as much light as larger windows. The plain truth, is that they don't.

PS just because its cold or windy doesn't mean its also cloudy or night time.....

I don't need the doors open to light the interior when its dark or overcast - I have properly sized windows that let in enough light even on dull days.

I'd say he was thinking clearly - you seem to be the one who has talked yourself into believing portholes let in as much light as larger windows. The plain truth, is that they don't.

PS just because its cold or windy doesn't mean its also cloudy or night time.....

Nor do I. I have ample protholes to cope.

Well they do, as stated before glass area inch for inch will let the same amount of light in. Hardly difficult to comprehend surely :lol: Maybe bus window has glass that is clearer :lol::lol::lol:

So you never open your boat doors to let light or fresh air in, you never open your side hatch unless you want to ingress or egress through it :lol::lol:

Well well well. And I'm the one supposed to be talking bollox.

How people can make an assumption we don't have enough light amazes me. Maybe you all have the ability to remote view :lol: or you just crave me posting more photos of our lovely bright portholes :lol:

It's so obvious so go on, just admit it you really do wan't portholes :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Julynian

Not at this time of year.....a day like today, for example. Temperature is maybe 3-4 deg C, wind at 25mph, but quite sunny. The doors will be staying shut (except for entering and exiting).

I think others (and myself) can make the deduction that larger windows are better than portholes, for those who like the interior to be light/bright, from comparing 2 boats side by side - one with only portholes, and one with bigger windows.

I know some people like the interior dark(er) and are happy to accept portholes for other reasons than letting light into the boat; or providing reasonable views, etc.

Not at this time of year.....a day like today, for example. Temperature is maybe 3-4 deg C, wind at 25mph, but quite sunny. The doors will be staying shut (except for entering and exiting).

Fine and so are ours shut and a lovely stove running Iv'e been on the boat all day with raining & overcast 11 portholes in our living area plenty of light been cooking and reading no problem, in fact it's just getting gloomy, so lights on :lol:

I think others (and myself) can make the deduction that larger windows are better than portholes, for those who like the interior to be light/bright, from comparing 2 boats side by side - one with only portholes, and one with bigger windows.

I know some people like the interior dark(er) and are happy to accept portholes for other reasons than letting light into the boat; or providing reasonable views, etc.

Well it depends on how many portholes surely. I've seen loads of narrowboats with just a couple of bus windows, I've seen boats with loads of bus windows. We've chosen the amount of portholes Portholes required to have good efficient light during day light hours, then add to that the many other advantages portholes have as well, and to me it's a no brainer.

Our boat isn't dark :lol: If someone wants a darker interior then they might choose less portholes.

JulynianFireplace010a.jpg

And hears one with lights on, which as stated makes little difference.

JulynianFireplace001a.jpg

ETA now the right way around.

Edited by Julynian

You must be able to see that a boat with portholes is darker compared to one with bus type windows? Go on admit it? It wont mean that your boat is inferior.

Ian.

:lol:

when I last passed a few years ago there was a boat at cowroast, an old les allen I think, which had very big portholes which I liked a lot but I think they must have been custom made. they were at least 18 inch dia if not more.

they looked like brass but may have been anodised aluminium

And what are doors and hatches for if not to open and let in air and light, maybe yours are sealed up and you enter and exit through bus windows :wacko:

I am glad you agree.

I have lights on my boat for the night time, you know like when the feckin' sun is on the other side of the feckin' earth. Port holes have a specific purpose, they stop 20 foot waves breaking in the side of you ocean going boat.

And no I dont have bus windows. Nor do I crave port holes.

Well they do, as stated before glass area inch for inch will let the same amount of light in. Hardly difficult to comprehend surely :lol: Maybe bus window has glass that is clearer :lol::lol::lol:

Forget the inches that is not in dispute. Unit for unit the port hole loses, nobody has 12 in square windows. One of my smaller windows lets in far more light than an one of your port holes.

I am bored with you now goodbye.

Edited by Maffi

But your boats still gloomy as there is not enough natural light let in,i have no problem either way but i have been on many boats and those with only portholes are always gloomy inside.

Ian.

It really depends on how many portholes the boat has and what size they are. I have 14 x 15" portholes and it's not gloomy inside (unless it's gloomy outside!)

To be honest I really don't understand this discussion. I've been living on boats for 10 years and would never dream of mooring up somewhere and leaving the interior of my boat on display so that people on the towpath can gawk in. I would always have curtains or porthole bungs on the towpath side. It's not mandatory of course, but if you want to leave the interior of your boat on display then please don't blame those who naturally want to come and have a look.

Edited by blackrose

my dream boat would have portholes for privacy and security but have at least a few side hatches which have windows behind them (if you know what i mean) so you can choose how much light/privacy you want. I wonder if i can find any examples...

It really depends on how many portholes the boat has and what size they are. I have 14 x 15" portholes and it's not gloomy inside (unless it's gloomy outside!)

To be honest I really don't understand this discussion. I've been living on boats for 10 years and would never dream of mooring up somewhere and leaving the interior of my boat on display so that people on the towpath can gawk in. I would always have curtains or porthole bungs on the towpath side. It's not mandatory of course, but if you want to leave the interior of your boat on display then please don't blame those who naturally want to come and have a look.

It has gone funny this discussion but the point is I wanted a specific thing to block view in, keep light and not curtains or blinds as they cover up the internal window surrounds which are made of solid oak which I like looking at :)

it wants to be removeable so film isn't an option.

bubble wrap works perfectly but it looks terrible

maybe opaque perspex sheets same shape as windows would work

but in a house people aren't usually walking past so close and houses don't have the novelty value

I might agree with the novelty value but I can think of many houses which open direct on to the pavement and a moored boat has at least the distance from the water to the mooring pins to deflect walkers.

However that doesn't alter the attitude of "please don't blame them" it explains why they might want to do it but it doesn't explain why anybody should accept them doing it.

I am glad you agree.

I have lights on my boat for the night time, you know like when the feckin' sun is on the other side of the feckin' earth. Port holes have a specific purpose, they stop 20 foot waves breaking in the side of you ocean going boat.

And no I dont have bus windows. Nor do I crave port holes.

Forget the inches that is not in dispute. Unit for unit the port hole loses,

What a ridiculous statement :wacko:, I quoted inch for inch exactly because bus windows are a different size from portholes :lol:

If I have 3 portholes to 1 bus window and ther glass area is the same then the same light would be admitted. I've clearly stated we have 17 portholes, how many boats have 17 bus windows :lol: Blimy get a grip man :lol:

Port holes have a specific purpose, they stop 20 foot waves breaking in the side of you ocean going boat.

The ramblings of a narrow mind :wacko:

And bus windows made for busses :lol: Many things are for a specific purpose but some have many other advantages than others for different applications. Portholes are a typical example.

They are stronger

They look nicer

better for privacy

Good deterrent to theft

In conjunction with bungs lose much less heat so energy efficient.

Condensate far less

Rarely leak

Inch for in let in the same light as most other windows :lol:

And of course when we do get hit by a 20f/t wave your boat will be full of water :lol: We'll be dry and cosy ;)

Do you fecking get it now :lol:

I find this a strange attitude, would you feel the same about windows in a house?

If the house was right on the street, without a front garden and the occupiers hadn't bothered to put up net curtains or any other visual obstuction, then yes I'd feel exactly the same. I wouldn't blame passers-by for having a look in.