Self filling lock

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Sadly its one of the few left, the ea have fitted boards to vee doors, this raises the upstream level reducing need for dredging.... Has also reduced air draft at Islip pipe bridge.

It wasn't all that long ago when most locks on the nene were like this.

Ps it is wadenhoe and that blue narrowboat has been at the water point for months, must have a huge water tank......

Or possibly none at all?

Don't follow? Either factually or on a tounge in cheek level.

Makes no odds to me as we fill up before leaving our club 20 mins up river, but if you were planing on filling up at the ea waterpoint this clown will make it difficult for you.

Just at the moment, Stenson lock on the T&M is working on becoming self filling too. It's not quite as impressive as this, but interesting in that the water enters below the top gates rather than over the top of them!

I wouldn't want to take a full length pair through, it could be quite a challenge avoiding the water spout filling one or other of the boats.

My first trip down the river Nene and I found this self filling lock. No need to bother lifting paddles.

Just don't let the boat get too close to the gate :o

8581399059_742f7465c7_b.jpg

That brought the memories back of two weeks ago! Won't sleep tonight now!

Can't remember the names but they are the two locks before Lilford, they are worse than this.

How far have you got? We are stuck at Oundle till 5th April or later if the work gets put back further or the SSA is still on.

That brought the memories back of two weeks ago! Won't sleep tonight now!

Can't remember the names but they are the two locks before Lilford, they are worse than this.

How far have you got? We are stuck at Oundle till 5th April or later if the work gets put back further or the SSA is still on.

The other lock you are thinking of is titchmarsh.

Worse place to be stuck than oundle, good range of pubs and restaurants. Nice little market and a refreshing walk from oundle marina.

Don't forget that oundle is also the last chandlery you will see, Jackson's at stanground have packed in having a stocked shop. Foxs do have a very small shop with essentials only - bog blue that sort of thing.

So if you need anything for the boat now is a good time to sort it. Mark and Jacqui in the shop are quite helpful.

My first trip down the river Nene and I found this self filling lock. No need to bother lifting paddles.

Just don't let the boat get too close to the gate :o

8581399059_742f7465c7_b.jpg

All 39 locks on the Forth & Clyde have similar self-filling characteristics. This one at Maryhill, on the northern outskirts of Glasgow, is a very mild example!

8585604802_81252e6702_z.jpg[/url]

IMG

On the Rochdale 4 years ago we couldn't get up through Todmorden lock because there was so much water coming over the top gates. We are 67ft and the lock is definitely only 70ft, with the bottom gates having been replaced by a motorised guillotine. We couldn't get far enough into the lock to risk pressing the "down" button, not wanting to ink by the bow, and didn't want to chop the back end off the boat, so we had to let some water down to lower the pound.

Just at the moment, Stenson lock on the T&M is working on becoming self filling too. It's not quite as impressive as this, but interesting in that the water enters below the top gates rather than over the top of them!

I wouldn't want to take a full length pair through, it could be quite a challenge avoiding the water spout filling one or other of the boats.

Been like it for months. Reported to BW as it was then. Shows how long ago. Chance of flooding boats I would have thought.

If you mean the pic I posted of Northampton, that was 25th November. Looks ok now, but I dont have a boat so I wouldnt know.

ah!

snow melting has topped everything up again, thought it looked a bit full mind!