Has anyone been to The Folly (Napton) recently?

Morat

Featured Posts

I can never understand why a pub should. If you can't manage to have the price of a pie and a pint in your pocket when you go into a pub, don't go into a pub. Credit cards are fine for major purchases such as furniture or white goods, but people who try to use them in a pub really are either disorganised or taking the piss. Perhaps you would like your local confectioner to take a credit card for a 60p Mars Bar, or a market trader to sell you two pounds of potatoes on Visa?

Cash is always easiest for smaller transactions, and traders like it too. I would never insult a publican, and demean myself, by offering to pay for a round with my Mastercard.

Speaking as a retired partner in 2 retail businesses we took both credit and debit cards for transactions as low as a few pounds. Nobody ever asked to pay less than a few pounds by card.

A meal and a couple of drinks even for one person is a large enough transaction why do feel it is taking the piss?

Is that a variation on "Yello", which our colleague Malc inexplicably uses as a greeting?

Try taking real money in next time, it will make it even easier (and cheaper for the publican). It's easily available from banks, providing you've got some - and if you haven't got money you shouldn't be spending any.

No, it's "in your opinion".

Why be so insulting? If pubs require cash then that's what I use. FYI ("for your information") where possible I use a debit card (shall I explain how they work for you?), not that it's any of your business. And if landlords are happy to run their pubs like this then why should you worry? As I said, it can make things easier for everybody.

Because cash is easier, more honest, more convenient and attracts no charges. Lack of ready cash suggests that the custmer is either disorganised or is trying to spend money which he hasn't got. Oh, and I do speak from experience: as a young man in the 1970s I regularly used a credit card, did not pay the full amount off each month, and paid what must have amounted over a few years to many hundreds of pounds in interest charges! Luckily I have learned sense since then.

I do own a credit card but rarely use it, and always pay the full amount due each month. Mrs. Athy hasn't owned one for years.

Ah yes. Cards.

They do still have a sign outside saying that they DO take cards which is a bit annoying. Luckily I heeded the warning.

Personally, I use a debit card where possible. Cash is handy but I only use it if I haven't hit the transaction floor for a card.

Because cash is easier, more honest, more convenient and attracts no charges. Lack of ready cash suggests that the custmer is either disorganised or is trying to spend money which he hasn't got. Oh, and I do speak from experience: as a young man in the 1970s I regularly used a credit card, did not pay the full amount off each month, and paid what must have amounted over a few years to many hundreds of pounds in interest charges! Luckily I have learned sense since then.

I do own a credit card but rarely use it, and always pay the full amount due each month. Mrs. Athy hasn't owned one for years.

You DO know what a debit card is, don't you?

Of course. It's something which people use when they have not been able to get to the bank or to a cash machine. I tend to refer to it as my "idiot card" because if I have to use it, it means that I've been an idiot for letting myself run out of cash.

So you understand that it doesn't attract interest and it doesn't allow you to spend "Money that you haven't got".

To get to my nearest cash point is a 14 mile round trip.

Also, judging by the introduction of RF enabled cards specifically designed for transactions under £20 I suspect your views on card payments put you in a very small minority.

Cards are easier, just as honest, and more convenient.

For me.

Edited by Morat

I'm 53 and quite capable of running my affairs, that's why I paid off my mortgage as soon as I had the chance, but thanks for your concern.

Lack of ready cash in my case is not having to carry large amounts of it if I don't have to.

You DO know what a debit card is, don't you?

I did offer to explain it to him. :rolleyes:

Because cash is easier, more honest, more convenient and attracts no charges.

which is where your argument falls down. Banking cash DOES attract charges and has done in any company I have run units for in the last 10 years at least. In fact, the charges are higher than for debit card use.

Boaters are a small minority of the general public.

An RF was a single decker bus, was it not?

But seriously, I hear what you're saying and I wonder if you are one of our younger members. I think that the use of cash, and to some extent cheques, is a generational thing. My previous remarks about the 1970s will give you a clue as to which generation I am in! I generally pay cash in shops, and pay my utility bills, mooring/ licensing fees etc. by cheque, but I suspect that many of my younger CWF colleagues prefer waving bits of plastic about.

Of course. It's something which people use when they have not been able to get to the bank or to a cash machine. I tend to refer to it as my "idiot card" because if I have to use it, it means that I've been an idiot for letting myself run out of cash.

I don't tend to run out of cash.

I don't tend to run out of cash.

Precisely - you are evidently a well organised and sensible member of society. So am I, usually - the debit card is reserved for those occasions on which I fail to be.

Boaters are a small minority of the general public.

An RF was a single decker bus, was it not?

But seriously, I hear what you're saying and I wonder if you are one of our younger members. I think that the use of cash, and to some extent cheques, is a generational thing. My previous remarks about the 1970s will give you a clue as to which generation I am in! I generally pay cash in shops, and pay my utility bills, mooring/ licensing fees etc. by cheque, but I suspect that many of my younger CWF colleagues prefer waving bits of plastic about.

Not sure who you were replying to, but my Dad is 77 and pays his bills by DD. He also has a "bit of plastic" which he uses where convenient.

Well, I was born in the 70s... if that makes me young then I'll take it :)

I have a cheque book, somewhere.

I don't have a credit card any more (paid off and good riddance, I agree with you on that one).

I receive updates from my bank via text message. Mini statement every Wednesday, warning if I hit my pre-defined lower balance, warning on any transaction over my defined threshold.

I don't get paper statements, I bank purely on-line - I can access my bank account to make transfers etc from the browser on my phone. Or I can just call them up.

I find this to be a very good way to stay in the black, without ever doing anything as horrifically PAPER based as balance a cheque book :) If someone managed to steal my card details, I'd soon know about it.

Edited by Morat

I'm afraid I don't understand the reticence about using Debit cards either. It is so much more convenient than having to use cash. whether it be in a pub or a shop.

Lose a wallet or have it stolen with £100 in it and you are stuffed, do the same with your debit card and one call to your bank and you are sorted. I can understand why some small traders won't accept them due to the charges but I can't understand the logic of not routinely using one for most purchases.... :wacko:

PS I'm 54 next month and cannot recall the last paper cheque I wrote either.

More -

Chip N pin devices for small traders are coming!!

Edited by The Dog House

Precisely - you are evidently a well organised and sensible member of society. So am I, usually - the debit card is reserved for those occasions on which I fail to be.

Ah, from "idiot" to "well organised and sensible member of society"! I am touched. :glare:

I don't run out of cash because I rarely use it.

I don't get paper statements, I bank purely on-line - I can access my bank account to make transfers etc from the browser on my phone. Or I can just call them up.

I find this to be a very good way to stay in the black, without ever doing anything as horrifically PAPER based as balance a cheque book :) If someone managed to steal my card details, I'd soon know about it.

Likewise. I haven't physically visited a bank for a couple of years.

which is where your argument falls down. Banking cash DOES attract charges and has done in any company I have run units for in the last 10 years at least. In fact, the charges are higher than for debit card use.

Not running a small bushiness I don't know the details, but from what I have been told by at least one business is that their bank charges them to bank cash, consequently they would much prefer to have card payments. Using cards and soon to be your mobile is the way things are going for small (say sub £1) transactions.

Excellent!! that could be really useful here at work...

Take a look here for a demo.

The charges look like they will around 3% per transaction (according to the BBC) with a one off cost of £100 per chip N pin device.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader.

You will also need an Iphone or an Android phone to be able to use the associated app.

Edited by The Dog House

Also, judging by the introduction of RF enabled cards specifically designed for transactions under £20 I suspect your views on card payments put you in a very small minority.

Cards are easier, just as honest, and more convenient.

For me.

I would agree on the minority position, harking back to my retail experience latterly something like 2/3 was on plastic of one sort or another.

I also agree cards are easier, honest and convenient.

EDIT: Yes banks (well some) do charge for taking in cash they also charge for giving out change if you are a business.

The % taken from a card transaction was (admittedly a few years ago) in the region of 30 - 50 pence for a debit card and (in our case) 1.5% for credit cards. These vary according to what "deal" you can do with the bank. Ours was negotiated through a nation wide professional society.

Edited by Jerra

Ah, from "idiot" to "well organised and sensible member of society"! I am touched. :glare:

I don't run out of cash because I rarely use it.

Don't flatter yourself - I aimed the "idiot card" comment at myself.

You rarely get your cash out, eh? - ah, I know someone like that in my local pub!

Morat, as I suspected you are a younger man - hence your mention of doing certain transactions on your telephone. I do ring my bank to check my balance from time to time, but I think I would need a mobile "smart" phone to perform the tasks which you mention. I have managed without a mobile telephone for some years (since I was born, in fact)and I shan't be getting one any time soon!

So the Folly is OK then?

Yes. Mooring nearby can be tricky, you may need to go round the corner (if heading for Braunston) or above the first lock (if Fenny bound).Remember to take your cash when you go in!

I haven't physically visited a bank for a couple of years.

I remember the feeling from many years ago, sneaking in and hoping that the manager would not see me, so I quite understand.

Edited by Athy

To ad my 'virtual' two pennarth?

I am of an age that do remember 'Access' cards when they first came about. I have fallen foul of credit cards over the years and I used to pay things by cheque. I can't remeber the last time I issued a cheque. I still have a cheque book somewhere.

I now do all my banking on line either via the PC or my iphone. I find it easier and instant. You don't need to explain to a person in another country who is keeping to a script what you want to know. I have on accasion needed to queue up in the bak to pay cash in, but now find this to be tedious and unpopular. (to me)

I have every intention to visit the Folly at sometime this year and following this thread I hope to have cash in my pocket as I now know that they don't facilitate card payments.

They are a number of businesses that I know that don't use card payments as there is a cost involved and for some reason or another 'prefer' to use cash for payments of wages and bonuses, with accompaning pay slips of course.

My sons employers use card transactions but always pay him by cheque as the older owner doesn't trust the internet transactions to be secure.

It's all about choice I guess. Not always an age thing.

I am 60 years young next time around.

Martyn

As I said, I have a tab in my local so don't need cash. Do keep up. ;)

Yes, I noted your excuse and, of course, had no reason to doubt it. No doubt your postal order is on its way too - oh no, sorry, that was Billy Bunter's story!

I can't remember the last time I issued a cheque.

You must have had a session in the Folly beforehand if you can't even remember writing it.