Crocodile

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

It seems unlikely that it would be officially encouraged or even permitted to introduce a non-native species of anything into the existing ecosystem of the UK or any specific area. I understand that it is not unheard of for stray tarantulas that were originally pets or inadvertently imported with other products to be found wild, but from that link to Google search results I can't find any info about a tarantula colony actually being found or encouraged, particularly at a secret location; encouraged by whom? Do you have a link to reference this?

I know that the Isle of Sheppey in Kent and possibly other areas that I can't recall the name of are known to have a species of small scorpions living wild there.

Edited by Starcoaster

It seems unlikely that it would be officially encouraged or even permitted to introduce a non-native species of anything into the existing ecosystem of the UK or any specific area. I understand that it is not unheard of for stray tarantulas that were originally pets or inadvertently imported with other products to be found wild, but from that link to Google search results I can't find any info about a tarantula colony actually being found or encouraged, particularly at a secret location; encouraged by whom? Do you have a link to reference this?

I know that the Isle of Sheppey in Kent and possibly other areas that I can't recall the name of are known to have a species of small scorpions living wild there.

Sorry I don't have a link. I think some colonies of foreign insects were introduced accidently from railway stock many years ago and tend to stay put, most likely in the warmer south. Maybe the tarantula colony is being carefully monitored? Difficult to say exactly what is and isn't native to the UK, the most common and successful cat is the British Shorthair, introduced by the Romans, 2k years a fairly recent addition in natural history terms so hardly native.

With regard to wildlife the definition of native is reasonably well accepted. Any animal or plant that has made its own way to the UK since the last ice age.

To illustrate what I mean.

Things like Canada Goose aren't counted as native because even though every winter a few wild Canada Geese turn up they are a different race and haven't bred. The larger race we see have been introduced as an ornamental bird. Should the wild Canadas ever turn up in large enough numbers for a few to remain and breed then they would be classed as native (eventually).

Sorry I don't have a link. I think some colonies of foreign insects were introduced accidently from railway stock many years ago and tend to stay put, most likely in the warmer south. Maybe the tarantula colony is being carefully monitored? Difficult to say exactly what is and isn't native to the UK, the most common and successful cat is the British Shorthair, introduced by the Romans, 2k years a fairly recent addition in natural history terms so hardly native.

I think I can say that a Giraffe for example is not a British Isles native species.

Scorpions are very common in the Sussex area. My house in Hove was near Shoreham port, and on a sunny day they could be seen sunning on the dock side. My house was about half a mile away and we would find them in the house. They are also common to Newhaven port (where I am currently) and also inland (Lewes) as my mate was stung by one which fell from a beam into his bare chest . He was reaching up to swing a rope around the beam and down it came.

As I have said, I have been bitten by nasty sodding false widow spiders..and ended up in hospital from a sting. Our loft (near Newhaven) is FULL of them as are the neighbours houses.

If they are the 'false' variety, I'd hate to get a bite from the real one !!

Edited by Bobbybass

Is there any truth to the story of a Gorilla somewhere along the Rochdale.

Think it's somewhere between Hebdon Bridge and Toddy

Come on Muddy, what's the punch line? :P

I've just telephoned three of my friends who moor on The Rochdale and this was their reaction!

24qlglj.jpg

Edited by Doorman

zezeKO0.jpg

"Snapped" this chap in the Spring last year-probably Macclesfield but might have been the T and M. Certainly livened the crew up.

Better was feeding terrapins nurdling the waterline of my boat at Cowroast a few years back-when I put my glasses on they turned out to be a couple of those triangular teabags. Got bitten on the dongle by a swan last week. It's a man's life on the cut.