MK Marina

Martin Brooks

Featured Posts

I see it is now marked as 'under offer' - wonder if that was you or a newer prospective buyer.

They must be hoping to sell it to someone without a survey. Thats a bit much charging to move it down to Willowbridge and back again - not as if it is two different companys.

I think this is the "Oxford" which has been C.M-ing in a half mile stretch of Giffard Park for years. Im sure I saw it at Willowbridge recently, and something lurks in my mind that they and MK marina are linked somehow???

Could be wrong though, but if not, why not view it there??

Dan

ETA

guess im not wrong!!

Edited by stagedamager

1360874650[/url]' post='1026596']

I think this is the "Oxford" which has been C.M-ing in a half mile stretch of Giffard Park for years. Im sure I saw it at Willowbridge recently, and something lurks in my mind that they and MK marina are linked somehow???

Could be wrong though, but if not, why not view it there??

Dan

ETA

guess im not wrong!!

You are correct, it has been around for sometime. I saw this boat on Apollo Duck, it said the owner is going abroad to work. I was not impressed with the photo of the engine bay, it looked a bit of rusty s***e hole. Not surprised replanting required.

RegardsDitchdabbler

They are the same company / owned by the same people. And they've both been fabulously helpful to me after my boat got vandalised and with helping me out with repairs when I broke down. I can't criticise the staff from either. Although the dog in the office at Milton Keynes Marina wouldn't stop barking at me! :D

Edited by BlueStringPudding

A sale and a purchase through MK brokerage and found them to be professional,and very honourable

When a boat is at MK marina brokerage, and a purchaser requires the boat surveying

and be craned out at willowbridge I imagine 2 people surely have to crew,

if this is the case £60 is good value I wouldnt have a problem paying that

Again If the purchasers do not want to procede with the purchase, of course boats have to be returned to the marina where its based for sale, re the VAT they have to charge that by law if a business.

re dans post yes they are linked but run total seperatly

Nice staff, facilties,residential moorings a plus,and a great pub does cheap meals.

Col

Edited by bigcol

1360880050[/url]' post='1026646']

They are the same company. And they've both been fabulously helpful to me after my boat got vandalised and with helping me out with repairs when I broke down. I can't criticise the staff from either. Although the dog in the office at Milton Keynes Marina wouldn't stop barking at me! :D

That is not unusual, I have always found them very helpful, I intended no criticism by my observations.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

If you are thinking of buying a boat from Milton Keynes Marina please read this first:

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/leatest/5397-not-as-expected

Having read the article (and now feeling appreciative of intellectual nourishment of The Daily Star) I don't see anything overly controversial. Yeah, there was some misunderstanding about the transfer fee. But of course the broker/vendor can decline an offer. What am I missing?

Also this was a gem:

"[should anyone be concerned about the name. Wim is of Belgium extraction.]"

:blink:

1360880851[/url]' post='1026657']

Having read the article (and now feeling appreciative of intellectual nourishment of The Daily Star) I don't see anything overly controversial. Yeah, there was some misunderstanding about the transfer fee. But of course the broker/vendor can decline an offer. What am I missing?

Also this was a gem:

Each company will have their own criteria but Wilton marina who also have Wigrams marina will transfer a boat from Wigrams to Wilton and back again without charge.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Taking the rather large leap of faith that NBW has reported the incident (or un-incident, to my mind?!) correctly:

I don't think it is unreasonable that the yard expect any costs relating to the survey be paid by the person comissioning the survey. Perhaps it should have been clearly stated from the outset that the return cost of the boat needed to be paid, but I would have thought that this was obvious, or perhaps that as the boat was under offer and a sale was expected to go through, no return transport was expected to have been needed?

I am, however, unclear as to why the one-way fee went from the agreed £40 to £60 (and I am not even totally clear from the way that it is worded if it eventually became £60 each way, or £40 one way plus an additional £20 to take it up to £60 for the total journey out and back; assuming the would-be buyer relayed it accurately and didn't simply misunderstand the arrangement in the first place) but if the buyer believes a price of £40 for the outward journey was agreed, then they would surely have cause to query this and be firm about sticking to the initial agreement, not acceping a later £20 addition to the quoted price of the outward trip.

In another recent thread, where the vendor of a boat recieved the information given in a survey an almost-buyer commission and used part of it on the description of the later updated advert; the general view was that this was uncool on the part of both the seller and the surveyor, as the content of the survey should rightly belong to the person who paid for the survey to use as they see fit only. So it seems out of place for a boatyard to mention work that needs doing ('needs' in the opinion of the nearly-buyer to get a boat of the spec that they wanted to buy) that come about as the result of someone else's survey provision.

Also this was a gem:

Yes, quite the odd comment! Included, perhaps, so that the readership demographic know that the would-be buyer is one of the good Europeans, and not one of those undesirable Polish folk?:D )

Edited by Starcoaster

I looked at this boat a couple of weeks ago. The photos I'm Apollo Duck made it look good value for money. Right from the start though, staff at MK Marina said that it was a project boat. Just looking internally it needed more work than I could possibly do. The staff were helpful and honest though and understood when I declined to make an offer. Luckily I did by the looks of things!

Nice looking boat!!

I thought that the 68ft 1991 boat with recent new engine seemed very good price at £21000 abiet needing some work

Maybe also I wouldnt be inpressed either at a cheeky offer of less than half of a

well price boat anyway lol

As homer stated the brokerage staff were honest and upfront from the start

Posibly the marina was at fault for not geting back to the purchasers to invite a more realistic offer, would have thought that MK marina had plenty of enquiries at that price,and a lot better offer for the boat anyway.

Anyway Going to MK marina for one of their 3.95 lunches at the weekend

ALL THE BEST

col

Edited by bigcol

It isn't clear whether there was any cranage charge involved or whether the marina is the seller or the owner and seller of the boat - have they bought it from the original owner?

I would expect to pay for taking the boat out of water for survey (and putting it back again) either by crane or via a slipway if I was buying a boat. I can see both sides of the argument relating to an additional cost of taking the boat to and from the place where the survey is to be done. The owner of a boat is usually a private individual and I've not heard of them charging to move their boat - they're usually only too pleased to help if a sale results. However, where a company owns the boat I can understand why it might incur costs that it has to pass on (and this is where the cranage charge comes in). If there was no additional cranage charge then I think £60 + VAT each way to the crane is good value (slippage is usually a lot more than that and hiring a crane in specially probably even more).

As the signature of one of this forum's posters (roughly) says (or said) "What you think I said is not necessatily what I actually said". We all do it; take a verbal statement as fact and then object when what we expected wasn't what happened later. It always pays to get costs in writing and to confirm exactly what the money is paying for. We can all mis-hear what is said so it pays to get quotes on paper (or in an email) if you wish to be sure of what you've agreed.

I have no connection with either seller, broker or (propspective) buyer, I'm just posting my opinion.