New Canalworld person saying hello

Halesowenmum

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

Halesownmum and totally new to this - hello!

Just looking at selling my large 3 bed 3 storey house and getting a narrowboat. These to some extent seem to be the easiest 2 parts of the process, it's the timing and so on of things like: house sells, have I found a boat by then or not, when I do will a mooring have become free where I need it, if not is there somewhere else I can moor temporarily or would the boat be pretty unlivable on without access to leccy, water, pump out facilities etc etc! I certainly can't buy the boat til I've sold the house that's for sure.

Seems the issue of when/if a mooring will/might/won't become available seems to be very tricky indeed! Where I live there's only really one place that offers residential moorings that also allows my children to get to their school by bus.... so I'm a bit stuck until a place becomes free at this location - which I imagine is going to be quite limiting and possibly involve a long wait of how long I don't know.

If anyone knows of any alternative mooring locations within Halesowen I'd be very interested to learn about them!

Nice to meet you all.

Hi Welcome.

I think Stourbridge is the best bet, which is quite close to you.

Hi Puckle. I did think of Stourbridge but there are two schools v close to Halesowen town centre that I need to be close to so I've been looking at Hawne Basin... Suppose I could look at buses from Stourbridge to Halesowen - so long as they can get to school by bus that's all that matters I guess!

Hi everyone

Halesownmum and totally new to this - hello!

Just looking at selling my large 3 bed 3 storey house and getting a narrowboat. These to some extent seem to be the easiest 2 parts of the process, it's the timing and so on of things like: house sells, have I found a boat by then or not, when I do will a mooring have become free where I need it, if not is there somewhere else I can moor temporarily or would the boat be pretty unlivable on without access to leccy, water, pump out facilities etc etc! I certainly can't buy the boat til I've sold the house that's for sure.

Seems the issue of when/if a mooring will/might/won't become available seems to be very tricky indeed! Where I live there's only really one place that offers residential moorings that also allows my children to get to their school by bus.... so I'm a bit stuck until a place becomes free at this location - which I imagine is going to be quite limiting and possibly involve a long wait of how long I don't know.

If anyone knows of any alternative mooring locations within Halesowen I'd be very interested to learn about them!

Nice to meet you all.

Hi - and welcome to the Forum....

Just a quick question before you 'take the plunge' (metaphorically of course!) - - - - have you experience of living on a narrowboat - or will this be your introduction?

Hi Puckle. I did think of Stourbridge but there are two schools v close to Halesowen town centre that I need to be close to so I've been looking at Hawne Basin... Suppose I could look at buses from Stourbridge to Halesowen - so long as they can get to school by bus that's all that matters I guess!

Having visited Hawne Basin a couple of years ago, it does seem a very nice place with a good atmosphere and friendly people. I guess that's why there is a waiting list!

Arent there some moorings near Netherton on the Halesowen road? A short arm off the main canal, so not a basin but certainly moorings, however I don't know if they do residential.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Having visited Hawne Basin a couple of years ago, it does seem a very nice place with a good atmosphere and friendly people. I guess that's why there is a waiting list!

Arent there some moorings near Netherton on the Halesowen road? A short arm off the main canal, so not a basin but certainly moorings, however I don't know if they do residential.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Yes you're right there is a little place up in Netherton. I contacted the person quoted on their website today and go a rather unfriendly response: "Who are you, where did you get my name from?" - er from your website mate where you're listed as a contact!!

Thank you - it's good to be here!!

I shall try again to extract some information - next job is to visit them and Hawne, compare costs/site/facilities and so on and then I'm going to look at some boats and see if I can afford what I want as the fairly typical double to the rear and rest of berths made up of the salon sofa for example won't work for me. I'll need two permanent single bunks plus a permanent double.

Hi - and welcome to the Forum....

Just a quick question before you 'take the plunge' (metaphorically of course!) - - - - have you experience of living on a narrowboat - or will this be your introduction?

Hello Grace and Favour and I understand why you are asking this question!

I have not lived on a boat for an extended period of time but over the years I've worked on dive boats (nearly 3 years) and so am someone who enjoys life on the water. I've also lived aboard on a catamaran when I visited Vanuatu and sailed around the volcanic islands there, and have spent time living on sailboats in Ft Lauderdale also.

I'm fully aware it will be a massive change both in terms of space and style of living not just for me but for the kids too. There are financial advantages as well which will come from this (but I obviously won't go into detail on the forum about that), and even with the on-costs of owning the boat and the monthly running costs that still work out better than with my current home).

Hello and welcome Halesowenmum.

Have a look at this site - free software to work out your likely costs and lots of information on living on a boat. Paul's book has info on detailed costs. If you pay for the upgraded software you get the book (and another) included.

I have no connection other than as a contributor.

edited to correct url link

Edited by Alanji

Hi I'm only a couple of steps ahead of you. It seems boatloads won't allow a deposit to be paid until exchange of contracts only your house. Luckily for me my parents lent me the total cost of the boat- cheques clear this Wi-Fi and on Friday I sold my house to a cash buyer who wants to exchange and complete before Easter! My boat is only 45ft and there's me 2 large dogs and a parrot moving on! There are ways around everything. Parrot is getting a new more suitably sized cage! Moorings, I'm going to continually cruise until something suitable comes along! Good luck!!

and then I'm going to look at some boats and see if I can afford what I want as the fairly typical double to the rear and rest of berths made up of the salon sofa for example won't work for me. I'll need two permanent single bunks plus a permanent double.

A lot of boats have one fixed double, plus occasional accommodation in the saloon (dinette etc) which would be no good for you. I don't know what you budget is, but it might be a good idea to look at some ex-hire boats, since they tend to ahve more space designated for sleeping. For example Black Prince make good boats and sell them on regularly - although not particularly cheap as they tend to be only a few years old. However (why is there always a problem with getting the boat you want?) - hire boats typically don't have a solid fuel stove, something which is considered pretty essential for living aboard in winter. Its by no means impossible to retrofit a stove, but something to take into consideration when budgeting.

But then perhaps you will be lucky and find a boat in the configuration you want with appropriate equipment for full time live aboard. Best of luck with that, and with Mr Grumpy at Netherton! (maybe you just caught him on a bad day!)

Welcome and it is good to ask questions now rather than if or when it goes wrong. I can't emphasise enough you have no security of tenure on a boat. The chances of finding a residential mooring are slim and even then the mooring owner can ask you to leave.

Having said that good luck. I have lived for over 20yrs on my boat but I have kept a land base by having lodgers. Boats depreciate but houses tend not to.

Hello and welcome Halesowenmum.

Have a look at this site - free software to work out your likely costs and lots of information on living on a boat. Paul's book has info on detailed costs. If you pay for the upgraded software you get the book (and another) included.

I have no connection other than as a contributor.

edited to correct url link

Thanks I will have a look at that tonight. Much appreciated.

Welcome and it is good to ask questions now rather than if or when it goes wrong. I can't emphasise enough you have no security of tenure on a boat. The chances of finding a residential mooring are slim and even then the mooring owner can ask you to leave.

Having said that good luck. I have lived for over 20yrs on my boat but I have kept a land base by having lodgers. Boats depreciate but houses tend not to.

Ahh, would love to keep the house AND have a boat but alas, can't afford both - well, I can't even afford the house any more!!!!

A lot of boats have one fixed double, plus occasional accommodation in the saloon (dinette etc) which would be no good for you. I don't know what you budget is, but it might be a good idea to look at some ex-hire boats, since they tend to ahve more space designated for sleeping. For example Black Prince make good boats and sell them on regularly - although not particularly cheap as they tend to be only a few years old. However (why is there always a problem with getting the boat you want?) - hire boats typically don't have a solid fuel stove, something which is considered pretty essential for living aboard in winter. Its by no means impossible to retrofit a stove, but something to take into consideration when budgeting.

But then perhaps you will be lucky and find a boat in the configuration you want with appropriate equipment for full time live aboard. Best of luck with that, and with Mr Grumpy at Netherton! (maybe you just caught him on a bad day!)

thanks for that idea - which is good thinking on your part as i had noticed that the holiday boats do have a LOT of berths so they're obviously finding a way to fit them in although I'm quite sure that this is at the expense of large/more luxurious appointing of the salon area. Definitely good to look here at this option though a little bit more closely.

I have seen, out of about say 50 boats I've looked at, 2 which probably had this configuration so I think there is the odd one out there.

I'd definitely consider retro-fitting the solid fuel burner as I'd like that with a back boiler (which takes me WAYYYY back to when we had that very thing in the back of our coal fire in the terraced house I used to live in - didn't you pull a lever and the heat went up a pipe or something - this really is a considerable time in the past I have to tell you so my memory is very hazy. Suffice to say that the coal and beer was still delivered by horse in those days (god I feel old now).

I'm sure Mr Grumpy was just having a bad day bless him! I shall let him rest then give him another go and be very very gentle so as to woo a better response!!

I'm sure Mr Grumpy was just having a bad day bless him! I shall let him rest then give him another go and be very very gentle so as to woo a better response!!

According to this website there is a phone number for a lady who deals with mooring availability. Maybe she will be more sympathetic! Anyway, it confirms they do have residential moorings.

Edited by nicknorman

Hi I'm only a couple of steps ahead of you. It seems boatloads won't allow a deposit to be paid until exchange of contracts only your house. Luckily for me my parents lent me the total cost of the boat- cheques clear this Wi-Fi and on Friday I sold my house

What you on, and have you got any left please?

Ex hire boats are certainly worth looking at, and some do have stoves.