Should we Move from a river to a canal?

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Can't disagree, UK Marmite is foul. Tastes like i imagine sediment from the pump out would! But NZ Marmite is completely different, wish we could get hold of some ;)

Did you know Marmite was originally made from the sediment left from brewing beer. It was almost solid when I was a boy and really strong and salty, now it's bland runny stuff made to a formula. :(

Hi

We bought our boat in Sept 2011 and are currently moored at Shardlow- the marina on the river Trent.

Initially we loved the marina because of its location to the T&M, Soar, Trent and Erewash- thinking we had a good choice of routes and wouldn't spend each weekend going up and down the same stretch of canal or river

In reality, however, the Trent was in flood and we couldn't get out of the marina as much as hoped last year. We dont liveaboard and both work full time, so want to make as much of our weekends and holidays using our boat, as possible

We also hoped between Christmas and New year to be able to cruise- Couldn't get out!!.

As much as I love the location and rivers- I'm wondering if life moored on a canal or canal marina would be better for us- or were we just unlucky last year. I dont want numerous facilities but do need electric

Our mooring fees are paid until end March- Should we move???

I'm torn on this-so would appreciate your thoughts and also marina vacancies and reccomendations- 1hour drive from Burton upon Trent. Mercia at Willington is the obvious choice- but I would prefer something smaller, albeit somewhere with a pub/restaurant in walking distance

Thanks

Jackie

Stenson are showing two vacancies at the moment..

Why not try the Hens Teeth moorings at Crockers Farm ;) or millar marine at shardlow village. Then you have the option of the river (which I prefer) or the canal if the river is in flood.

There is also one of the online Long Term Moorings just above Shardlow lock available at the moment....private number is on a sign at the end of the moorings.

sssh Matty ;) I was going to see if you fancied a beer sometime, so I could pick your brains about moorings in and around here. (within 45 mins of Nottingham). 70ft is awkward. Some potential for cc'ing, but I'm only 4 days a wk on the boat, so could be inconvenient having to move sometimes. Crockers full last time I asked (couple of months ago), and no-one seems to have moved since. Some marinas far to £££ (2800/y for Beeston!!! FFS, they have no facilities!).. Anyway, best done over a bevvie - you up for one next time you are around Sharldow/Sawley/Barrow etc?

You would be most welcome :cheers: but we will be off soon, when Redhill opens

you off round the waterways then? Suggest canals for the next few months!! Can recommend the Swan at Fradely on the 16th Feb.... will be a great mix of boaters and Folk musicians/Molly dancers. Chap organising it has a wooden working boat.

I'm usually fairly free Weds and Thu evenings :)

Is hat not just the earth bund in place??

No, I don't think so. The access from the canal looks fine but when you go under the bridge over the towpath, the water swings round to the right and straight ahead looks like the boundary of the site.

The Plough is definately walkable from there although the towpath is very muddy just now.

The Anchor in Streethay is also a decent pub and is not too far away.

Although the access at Streethay looks a doddle, it is not so good when there are boats moored opposite on the towpath and there are various boats moored around the yard and it is blowing a gale and you are trying to get onto a pontoon with another boat along side you... and your boat has just been painted :-). That was us last Thursday.

haggis

We are moored at Stenson.

Barton Turns again is very big.

Shobnall Marina looks nice and small.

We have moored at Shobnall twice as visitors for a week. They owners are nice and helpful, they have diesel and pumpout available, power and water on the moorings. Did not have toilets ir showers when we were there lasf year but they were opening a small cafe so that might come.

Did you know Marmite was originally made from the sediment left from brewing beer. It was almost solid when I was a boy and really strong and salty, now it's bland runny stuff made to a formula. :(

You want Marmite XO. It's not cheap, but it's worth it! I was eating it from the jar at MB's this weekend (because I'm classy like that...) and we said almost exactly the same- modern Marmite is runny and less tasty. Marmite XO is solid and dark and delicious.

Marmite XO

Get a motorbike thats what i use for real speed,boats are for relaxing and watching the world go by.

Ian.

We do use our boat to relax. We both spend enough time driving for work that come the weekend we relax on the river. For us that involves an hour or so of this

DSCF1811.jpg

Followed by a session in the pub.

Each to their own.

You can . . . . . . .

It really is sediment from a pump-out - but with added Horlicks

Agree. After I saw the skips of effluent at Marstons Brewery in B o T which were destined for the marmite factory, I stopped eating it. Now do Bovril for the BSE lol

River every time for us.

We moor at burton waters on the fossdyke and it is fantastic for us. River cruising on the doorstep but a flood protected marina.

Plus we are only a day away from the coast in either direction. We don't really like canal cruising, we are easily bored. River cruising offers so much more variety.

I think you have been very unlucky. This year has seen us locked in much more than usual. If I were you I would bear with it and give it another year. Last year was certainly not the normal river conditions year!

Hi

We bought our boat in Sept 2011 and are currently moored at Shardlow- the marina on the river Trent.

Initially we loved the marina because of its location to the T&M, Soar, Trent and Erewash- thinking we had a good choice of routes and wouldn't spend each weekend going up and down the same stretch of canal or river

In reality, however, the Trent was in flood and we couldn't get out of the marina as much as hoped last year. We dont liveaboard and both work full time, so want to make as much of our weekends and holidays using our boat, as possible

We also hoped between Christmas and New year to be able to cruise- Couldn't get out!!.

As much as I love the location and rivers- I'm wondering if life moored on a canal or canal marina would be better for us- or were we just unlucky last year. I dont want numerous facilities but do need electric

Our mooring fees are paid until end March- Should we move???

I'm torn on this-so would appreciate your thoughts and also marina vacancies and reccomendations- 1hour drive from Burton upon Trent. Mercia at Willington is the obvious choice- but I would prefer something smaller, albeit somewhere with a pub/restaurant in walking distance

Thanks

Jackie

We moor at Tewkesbury for similar reasons - choice of two rivers, narrow canals and broad canals within a day's cruise.

Last season was pretty cr@p for boating as the rivers seemed to be flooded most of the time.

Ironically, early last season we decided not to book for Cropredy as we didn't think we would get there due to the drought and resulting water-saving measures on the canals.

If the logic for your choice of mooring spots was valid at the time, then personally I'd stick with it.

Now the Met men have started shouting about floods, the next drought can't be far around the corner!

My first full time job was a lab technician at the Bovril and Marmite factory- I used to spend many a day up to my elbows in buckets of yeast- and yes I still eat marmite- I dont like Bovril- but used to use their cubes, but cant find them now.

I havent tried the XO- but will now- I do think marmite use to be darker and thicker and also saltier- but thats down to the Food Standards agency pushing the food industry to reduce salt levels, even for those products which should be salty and are only eaten in small quantities

Agree what you said about being at Shardlow marina,last year was very bad hardly managed to get out.I like living hear and its what I need but in your position, as a non live on, then I would move and then move again every few years untill the boat had been down every canal and then start again.

Agree what you said about being at Shardlow marina,last year was very bad hardly managed to get out.I like living hear and its what I need but in your position, as a non live on, then I would move and then move again every few years untill the boat had been down every canal and then start again.

Sometimes easier said than done.

We had planned to move to a new marina every year. Four and a half years later we are still in the same one!

If you find the right location why bother moving? Last year was bad wherever people were moored. We were locked into the marina more times than I care to remember last year. Doesn't make it a bad choice, you can't help the weather.

Hopefully this year will be a drier and warmer prospect.

Jackie, I think you'll find the moorings in Shardlow belong to Dobson's boatyard and not Millar Marine.

We cruise both canals and rivers, and both can be frustrating. On the rivers, the problem can be flooding. On the canals there are potential water shortages in summer and ice in winter. The longest hold up we've had so far was an 8 week one on the canals due to being frozen in.

So, there is no simple solution, there can be problems wherever you are.