Mooring Madness

saltyseadog

Featured Posts

:blush:

Why or why do boaters tie up at some of the most bizarre locations. (Especially on the narrow canal waterways)

As an example:

Boats tied up on both sides of the canal on bends adjacent to bridges. I could go on!

Perhaps BW should start painting double yellow lines on the towpaths for these inconsiderate

morons.

Yeah... I know...

And why is it that some people come flying round the corner on a blind bend, on the wrong side completely, and then start moaning when they have to get out of the way.

I've watched boats trying to get in & out of the dry dock at Uxbridge Boat Centre and had to do it myself, while some idiots think it's a good idea to moor up opposite on the towpath and don't seem to appreciate the efforts involved by owners of boats longer than about 60ft or wider than a narrow boat to avoid scraping them! It's the last thing you want when you've just blacked your boat.

I've often wondered whether these people are morons or just inconsiderate? Perhaps you're right & they are inconsiderate morons.

Edited by blackrose

Hi Blackrose,

I'd make sure I bumped them before I went in, just like I did with some idiot who was moored on the lock moorings in the middle of Stone, which is busy at the best of times.

Hi Blackrose,

I'd make sure I bumped them before I went in, just like I did with some idiot who was moored on the lock moorings in the middle of Stone, which is busy at the best of times.

But wouldn't you be better off not bumping them, to demonstrate your superior boat handling and experience?

You have to bear in mind that a huge number of hire boats are out on the canals and a good number of them are crewed by novices who, apart from a 10-minute talk from the boatyard, have no idea of boat handling or where they can or can't (or shouldn't) moor.

Just a thought.

RB

I agree with the last 2 comments, but it's mainly a case of common sense.

You walk on the pavement and drive your car on the road. You wouldn't walk down the middle of the road and then wonder why you would get knocked down would you?

I love them when they moor right by the bridges, and the ones who career round blind bends on the wrong side and then almost hit you. I especially love the ones who try to moor up and in the process hit you instead of the bank. Love that! NOT!

We had one boat who was trying to moor up in a space that was half the length the boat actually needed to get in, and hit us trying to do it. Then to add to the cheek (the boat was half in with it's end sticking out) asked if they could borrow out pegs to tie up with while they went to the pub.

We said 'Computer says no'.

They then spent half an hour trying to back out of a spot they couldn't get into. I appreciate that novices on the boats are learning. I have no problem with that at all. But this bloke with his 15 kids and distraught wife could really have made a good guess that a 70 foot boat would not have fit into a space that was not big enough for a mini, let alone a narrow boat.

Still, we did get a chuckle out of it!

I get the impression that some folk think that a deep hatred of hire boaters establishes their credentiols as "real" boaters. Hire boaters are on holiday, wreathed in smiles they are determined to have a good time whatever. What's not to like? If a hire boater is in difficulties due to inexperience and more experienced people look on laughing, who then is the R-sole? Offer a hand, when they are in doubt, breast them up alongside and offer your help.

Due to lack of finances, we have no choice but to hire, and I must say over the past few years the attitude of owner boaters leaves a lot to be desired.

It's even worse now we have Wet Betsy - you think they look down their noses at you if you're a hirer? Wait till you see their reaction to a dinghy and outboard! One lot last weekend were particularly obnoxious, sneering at us as we went past, but we had the last laugh as we sailed UNDER the next swing bridge, leaving them to open it themselves!

What these people don't seem to appreciate is that the canals are there for everyone to enjoy. We paid a lot of money for our boat - she may be small, but she's fully licensed and insured, and we have great fun with her. We stick to the speed limit, are polite and considerate to other users, and only play chicken with widebeams occasionally!

Luckily, most of the people we meet appreciate the fact that we're having fun. We've had some great comments, and nearly everyone smiles and waves.

Let the miserable sods carry on being miserable. They won't ruin our fun!

Janet

I love them when they moor right by the bridges, and the ones who career round blind bends on the wrong side and then almost hit you. I especially love the ones who try to moor up and in the process hit you instead of the bank. Love that! NOT!

We had one boat who was trying to moor up in a space that was half the length the boat actually needed to get in, and hit us trying to do it. Then to add to the cheek (the boat was half in with it's end sticking out) asked if they could borrow out pegs to tie up with while they went to the pub.

They then spent half an hour trying to back out of a spot they couldn't get into. I appreciate that novices on the boats are learning. I have no problem with that at all. But this bloke with his 15 kids and distraught wife could really have made a good guess that a 70 foot boat would not have fit into a space that was not big enough for a mini, let alone a narrow boat.

Still, we did get a chuckle out of it!

I had to read this twice just to make sure I hadn't posted this myself!

This happened to us earlier on this year....some eejit trying to moor a 60 foot boat in a 50 ft space in windy conditions....

Yuss we got rammed pretty bad....

I was surprised to see no mark on our boat actually...I was surprised I didn't blow a gasket.....I must be getting soft....

The thing is, I find this is happening more and more these days....and if you go off on one every time sommat "stupid" happens you'd never stop ranting and raving at folk.....its ****** annoying tho, especially when u make sure you fend off etc if things get a bit close....

Its not funny when you can tell by all the revving going on, there will be an imminent impact to your boat....its like a sixth sense.....dont you find?

Last week, waiting for the OK from the lock keeper to enter the flight, had to breast up at the bottom of Foxton locks alongside a hire boat moored facing away from the locks but almost blocking the entrance, crewed by the most affable bunch of individuals. They'd moored there, right by the entrance overnight and seemed in no hurry to move on. In this case it didn't worry me unduly as they were so friendly. Breasted up, one of their crew even fished the kids' friend's puppy out the cut for us when it fell in and I'm sure they'd have merrily hung around chatting for most of the day had the lock keeper not pointed out the flaw in their mooring arrangement....

I didn't have the heart to be a busy-body and tell them myself!

I have no problem with hirers, people in small plastic boats, or anyone else using the waterways, and I don't look down my nose at them. I would also give anyone a hand if I thought they would accept it (but many look like they would not).

I remember when I first started, I made a right mess of things on a couple of occasions and I doubt it'll be the last time as things can go wrong. However, a lack of thinking ahead, an inadequate knowledge of the capabilities & limitations one's boat, and an insensitive attitude to waterways etiquette doesn't help matters.

This applies equally to hirers and owners. I really wonder what's going on somtimes when I see people revving up hard on still water.

One new owner I know decided to get drunk & take his boat out with his mates, not realising that although unlikely to get him prosecuted, this was in fact illegal. He was quite remorseful the next day after ramming a moored boat, yet the same guy insists he'd never touch a drop on the road. When I asked him why he'd even think about moving 26 tonnes of steel with no brakes in that condition he really had to think about it!

Due to lack of finances, we have no choice but to hire, and I must say over the past few years the attitude of owner boaters leaves a lot to be desired.

It's even worse now we have Wet Betsy - you think they look down their noses at you if you're a hirer? Wait till you see their reaction to a dinghy and outboard! One lot last weekend were particularly obnoxious, sneering at us as we went past, but we had the last laugh as we sailed UNDER the next swing bridge, leaving them to open it themselves!

What these people don't seem to appreciate is that the canals are there for everyone to enjoy. We paid a lot of money for our boat - she may be small, but she's fully licensed and insured, and we have great fun with her. We stick to the speed limit, are polite and considerate to other users, and only play chicken with widebeams occasionally!

Luckily, most of the people we meet appreciate the fact that we're having fun. We've had some great comments, and nearly everyone smiles and waves.

Let the miserable sods carry on being miserable. They won't ruin our fun!

Janet

thats what its all about Janet enjoyment we know you get plenty of that we've seen you, the day all I can do is moan about other boaters is the day to pack it in, none of us was born driving a boat and I dont see any differance in a hirer or owner Ive been boating 20 years and still do things wrong wouldnt want to be Miiss Perfect anyway half the enjoyment is laughing at yourself for the daft things youve done that day Bren

This happened to us earlier on this year....some eejit trying to moor a 60 foot boat in a 50 ft space in windy conditions....

I'd say the selfish harsols are those that leave 40 feet between them and the next boat on popular moring spots, knowing that the average boat these days is 50. :blush: Ok, everyone likes a bit of privacy but thats just inconsiderate mooring. I arrived at Gnosall late on Sunday evening to find loads of space but nowhere quite long enough..... It was the same at the bottom of Audlem flight on monday though we did just get in somewhere..... :D

Is there really any need to leave more than a couple of foot between fenders? :P

Edited by Hairy-Neil

I'd say the selfish harsols are those that leave 40 feet between them and the next boat on popular moring spots, knowing that the average boat these days is 50. Ok, everyone likes a bit of privacy but thats just inconsiderate mooring. I arrived at Gnosall late on Sunday evening to find loads of space but nowhere quite long enough..... It was the same at the bottom of Audlem flight on monday though we did just get in somewhere..... :P

Is there really any need to leave more than a couple of foot between fenders? :blush:

No there's no room to leave more than a few feet between fenders, and neither is it against the rules to share mooring rings like we always try to do. I know you can always double up, and if we were asked if we minded if someone comes alongside - not at all, but you can't always do it on narrow canals.

Saying that, in popular spots, people are always coming and going, and although I've never been in that situation before, but I can guess it'll get a little too much moving up and down to leave room for others.

Also, people that leave their boats chained up on a 24 / 48 hour mooring for a week do my head in aswell!

We had one boat who was trying to moor up in a space that was half the length the boat actually needed to get in...

Love it!

- In this house, on forestreet in salcombe you see some great driveing!

23yo's in there big silver sprinters.

- Its a single track, one-way, road, which along the best part of its lenght isnt wide enought to allow cars to pass.

However, they still insist of spending 10minutes getting slowy slowly closer to the buildings on eather side, with mounting traffic behind them. Before geting out and unloading.

- The stupid thing is tho, even despight there 10minutes of utter incompetece, still no cars can get passed.

- Even an absolute pro cannot manover a van such that a car can pass it in a road that is only 10ft wide!

Daniel

I know what your saying about boaters who dont hooch up the the boat infront, to leave room for someone else to get in...behind... they either just dont fink....DUHHHHH or they are being selfish.....

One thing tho....the mooring rings dont always pan out right do they?... and sometimes its not suitable to drive a steak in the ground....i.e. if its tarmac or concrete for instance :blush:

Ive been on a few where the rings are all wrong.....(for tying your boat up).... do ya follow that??

(i do....) :P

That inconsiderate boater that only left a 40' gap could it be that, when he moored, there was a 40' boat in it.

Indeed thats another point!

how many times do we park in a space in the car park and because the dilbert at the side of you has parked up to the white line you have had to do likewise? only to come back an have peeps stare at you for parking over the white line?

LOL you cant win can you??? not everything is how it can seems.... good point botty!

:P

Stupid mooring - sometimes I am so distracted by the stupidity I quiet forget to slow down as I pass!

hahaha Im sure we've all been there!!!!! heeeehheeeeeeeeeeeee...

its like rubber necking at a RTA only to cause one yourself!

(not that I have)....you understand..

I had to read this twice just to make sure I hadn't posted this myself!

Yuss we got rammed pretty bad....

I was surprised to see no mark on our boat actually...I was surprised I didn't blow a gasket.....I must be getting soft....

The thing is, I find this is happening more and more these days....and if you go off on one every time sommat "stupid" happens you'd never stop ranting and raving at folk.....its ****** annoying tho, especially when u make sure you fend off etc if things get a bit close....

Its not funny when you can tell by all the revving going on, there will be an imminent impact to your boat....its like a sixth sense.....dont you find?

What made it even funnier, was that it was the exact same thing that happened to us when we first started boating (so I don't have a 'real' go at novice boaters at all, I think it's funny how much I can relate). What annoyed me more than anything was that he expected to leave his boat half sticking out tied with one rope only using our pegs, which I thought was a tad unsafe. We did help him move his boat though.

We took a holiday and got to Hawkebury junction, and tried to moor up. hubby said we could fit in there knowing darn well we couldn't so he jumped off as I headed the boat bankside, and then it got stuck as predicted and made me feel like a prize lemon because I knew it wouldn't fit, I hit the side of someone's boat, and made me feel stupid that it was also private mooring that side.

I think the more people who come onto the canals as a serious hobby, the better. It can only be a good thing.

But you do know that you are going to be hit. Like you said, sixth sense and the panic revving of an engine following by 'oh sh*t!' just before impact.

how many times do we park in a space in the car park and because the dilbert at the side of you has parked up to the white line you have had to do likewise? only to come back an have peeps stare at you for parking over the white line?

:D

I'm very selective in my choice of parking bays even if it means I have to walk 30 yards extra to the supermarket door. For example I always park in B&Q's car park when I visit Tesco's.......(its probably something to do with being a car body repairer and owner of classis cars) and if I have the choice I will park in a bay away from the ejuts who can neither park properly or open their doors respectfully of other motorists property, nor it would seem, educate their brats to do the same. Ok, car park bays have got noticeably smaller in the 30 years I've been driving whilst cars have got steadiy bigger. Then only a farmers wife would take a Land Rover to the supermarket.......... :blush:

I'm sure if someone were to open a Drive In Supermarket it would be a winner........ :P

That inconsiderate boater that only left a 40' gap could it be that, when he moored, there was a 40' boat in it.

Could be the case, but I've done enough boating over the years to know this is not the norm. Besides, if the average boat is over 50" then surely the average gap left by a vacating boat will also be in excess of this length.

There is a trend to leaving gaps.........Just as with urinals in a public toilet, nobody wants to be seen to be overlooking the next man. Newcomers learn from what they see others doing and so it continues. However, is not the traditional canal etiquet, look at any old photos of working craft and they are packed together like sardines.