Washing machine problem!

GSer

Featured Posts

Not used my zanussi washing machine for a couple of week, but when i opened it up to load it, it was full up with water?

Is there just a simple solenoid operated valve in there that might be sticking? I can isolate the appliance when not in use but it would be nice if it were right.

Paul

Not used my zanussi washing machine for a couple of week, but when i opened it up to load it, it was full up with water?

Is there just a simple solenoid operated valve in there that might be sticking? I can isolate the appliance when not in use but it would be nice if it were right.

Paul

Where is the waste exit in the hull and does it share that exit with anything with a pump or at a higher level. I know my shower fills with rain water despite the pump. Unless the exit hose loops up above the outlet this could happen. I would try putting a cork in the hull outlet when it is not in use to see what happens = or not.

Paul

Check the filters, pump and pipes for lumps of limescale.

Where is the waste exit in the hull and does it share that exit with anything with a pump or at a higher level. I know my shower fills with rain water despite the pump. Unless the exit hose loops up above the outlet this could happen. I would try putting a cork in the hull outlet when it is not in use to see what happens = or not.

It's just a waste pipe tucked into the sink, little or no chance of reverse filling.

Check the filters, pump and pipes for lumps of limescale.

Its working ok now, but i will take a good look around it tomorrow, i doubt mrs gser has ever checked the filters.

Could be a tiny bit of debris stuck in the valve, might clear itself after a wash or two. Usually a good idea to use a 'filter washer' instead of a plain washer between the fill hose and valve:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320959380623

IF the valve IS leaking they're fairly cheap and easy to replace like with like, turn off and unplug machine first of course! Pulling the hose off the back of the valve would help to tell if it's leaking.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Check the pump housing for foreign objects. I once had American tenants in our old house. They had a strangely intermittent fault with the water pumping out. When I went round and opened the pump case there was a Quarter coin stuck in the neck of the housing, acting like a random butterfly valve!

Try putting a cupful of white vinegar in and running an empty wash on the hottest cycle possible If the machine is regularly used at 30 or 40degrees you can get a build up of sludge over time. Is the filter easy to access? Is behind a panel on the bottom left of the machine on mine, symptoms were a dark coloured sludge on filter and in filling tray.You can buy washing machine cleaner in Wilkinsons but I doubt it's any more effective.

Edited by JDR

Paul

Had the same problem on my Zanussi washer drier at home. Turned out to be a fault with the inlet valve. This has a neoprene diaphragm which had split, allowing water to seep in all the time. The branded replacement part available from various online suppliers was quite pricy but I got an unbranded equivalent from Ebay. When it arrived it looked identical to the old unit, right down to the manufacturers part number moulded into the side! Job done.

So in summary, it's either not emptying, or its filling slowly due to a leaking inlet valve. Since you are now using it I presume it drained ok when set to that, ergo its the inlet valve, probably just a speck of grit keeping it open. It may now have flushed through, or be stuck there, or of course be a split/perished seal.

Mine's in the cellar in the house. The cellar's about 20ft x 30ft. It used to drain out of the window (into a drain) but you had to remember to open the window and hook it up, not leave it on the floor.

Washing machine's fill up until they activate a water level switch which is about knee height. I think you can see where this is going... :(

Edited by boathunter

I assume when you discovered the m/c was full of water, you had to select a programme to pump it out, or lowered the waste hose to allow it to gravity drain? In other words, it would not let you open the door, because the door lock was active. The only way for a m/c to fill whilst turned off, is a faulty inlet valve. Could be either hot or cold valve that caused it. Inlet valves can be disassembled quite easily to check for obvious faults. Likeliest fault is weak needle spring or foreign body on the valve seat preventing the needle from seating properly. Replacement valves are readily available, but don't fork out for a 'genuine zanussi part' - 'pattern' valve is usually the the same original manufacturer as a 'genuine' valve.

Pete (forty years in the washing m/c biz)

I assume when you discovered the m/c was full of water, you had to select a programme to pump it out, or lowered the waste hose to allow it to gravity drain? In other words, it would not let you open the door, because the door lock was active. The only way for a m/c to fill whilst turned off, is a faulty inlet valve. Could be either hot or cold valve that caused it. Inlet valves can be disassembled quite easily to check for obvious faults. Likeliest fault is weak needle spring or foreign body on the valve seat preventing the needle from seating properly. Replacement valves are readily available, but don't fork out for a 'genuine zanussi part' - 'pattern' valve is usually the the same original manufacturer as a 'genuine' valve.

Pete (forty years in the washing m/c biz)

Cheers, actually the water level was up to the bottom of the door seal, but the door opened ok. I only noticed the problem when i put the first handful of washing in.

I'l have a better look today.

Paul

If the WM is on very high pressure mains it could be there's some 'water hammer' damaging the valves, does it clonk loudly when the water switches off at the end of a fill?

Usually the WM manufacturer includes flow restrictions but these can get left out because people don't understand what they're for. If the isolation valves are in good order they can be turned down which will help.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Cheers, actually the water level was up to the bottom of the door seal, but the door opened ok. I only noticed the problem when i put the first handful of washing in.

I'l have a better look today.

Paul

Definitely a weeping inlet valve, but not sufficient water to create the pressure to activate the door interlock. More likely to be the cold valve, which may be a single or double valve. If you remove the valve from the m/c, reconnect the supply hose and turn water back on, you should be able to see it weeping.(Disturbing it may be enough for the needle to re-seat!). Don't forget - disconnect from electricity supply - losts of bare connections under the lid.

Pete