New boat!

Homer 123

Featured Posts

http://www.newandusedboat.co.uk/used-boat.php?boatID=193

Any thoughts on this for me to live on with 2 large dogs, a parrot and 2 grandsons and their families that are likely to visit regularly? Is 70 ft too hard to cope with alone? I will be on GU canal in Milton Keynes area, so from what I understand it will fit in most of the locks!

http://www.newanduse....php?boatID=193

Any thoughts on this for me to live on with 2 large dogs, a parrot and 2 grandsons and their families that are likely to visit regularly? Is 70 ft too hard to cope with alone? I will be on GU canal in Milton Keynes area, so from what I understand it will fit in most of the locks!

We've had a look at "Rose".

It's a big boat and does need quite a lot of work, though IIRC it's interior tarting that's required, rather than steelwork. If you have the skills and the time it could be made really nice. It's also easier to work on a bigger boat as you've got a reasonable chance of clearing one area and working on it whilst still being able to live in the rest. No way I could do that on my 40 footer!

"Rose" was built as a hotel boat so the whole design is geared around maximising internal space. The catch, in my view, is they've taken this a bit too far. It has a snub nose and ridiculously narrow gunnels. As someone who likes lone boating from time to time I felt it was too restrictive in terms of moving around the boat safely - I like being able to get on or off my boat wherever I like. Unless you had your feet bound as an infant I doubt you'd be able to do this with "Rose", but the only real way to judge is to go and see it for yourself. I daresay folk have handled much more awkward craft, but it wasn't for me. I see nothing wrong with single-manning a 70' boat, just maybe not this one.

Ok thanks for that. I ve seen her once, before Xmas and liked her. Can't remember any great deal of work that would be desperate to get finished? My problem is that as a musician with animals and pets I need space to fit everything in. Can you remember what work needed doing on her?

Can you remember what work needed doing on her?

I'm struggling to remember now, but I think the saloon area was ok but towards the back of the boat everything had a "temporary" air about it - I think it had been bodged while grand plans were drawn up, but then the grand plans never happened.

I've also just remembered that the engine bay and cabin space are entirely seperate - it's a solid bulkhead. So the gunnels are too narrow to use and there's no way inside from the stern either, save using the roof or mooring up. Basically this boat was intended for at least a two person crew.

Lovely old engine though wub.gif

Edited to add: Richard T beat me to it...

Edited by sociable_hermit

Ok thanks all ill bear all that in mind. I won't be going on any long cruises but want somewhere reasonable to live! The appeal is that the second bedroom which has no beds in it could be used for a music room ant has space for my electric piano and dogs and parrot and grand kids somewhere on it! I've been casualy looking for 7 years and seriously for about 6 months and not seen anything else in my price range which would be suitable.

The boatyard tell me it is structurally sound and has a even reboottomed. But obviously I would have a full survey done!

Ok thanks all ill bear all that in mind. I won't be going on any long cruises but want somewhere reasonable to live! The appeal is that the second bedroom which has no beds in it could be used for a music room ant has space for my electric piano and dogs and parrot and grand kids somewhere on it! I've been casualy looking for 7 years and seriously for about 6 months and not seen anything else in my price range which would be suitable.

The boatyard tell me it is structurally sound and has a even reboottomed. But obviously I would have a full survey done!

It's very good for space, and obviously you could chop the interior around to suit your needs. I'm more bothered about the steelwork as that can't easily be changed. Not being able to shuffle along the sides, or get through the engine bay, is a major disadvantage in my view. Sometimes when single-manning you do need to get to other parts of the boat quickly, but on this one you can't. You're really isolated on the back of the boat. Even when there are others aboard it won't be particularly sociable on the move, as even taking the steerer a cup of tea is a challenge!

If you can rope in friends or family to help you move it, and living space is the key requirement, then it might still be worth pursuing. It's been there a while so you could probably haggle quite aggressively. It's definitely of an age where a survey would be required, as you say.

Thank you, yes there are a few things there to think about. Presumably there would be no room for the dogs at the stern when handling either due to the bulkhead.

Is haggling normal? I visited a boatyard at the weekend, was asked what my budget was and then they wouldn't show me the boat I wanted to see because it was priced at £3,000 over. That made me think that the asking price is what you pay. Although one of the yards says Make us an offer on their website!

Thank you, yes there are a few things there to think about. Presumably there would be no room for the dogs at the stern when handling either due to the bulkhead.

Is haggling normal? I visited a boatyard at the weekend, was asked what my budget was and then they wouldn't show me the boat I wanted to see because it was priced at £3,000 over. That made me think that the asking price is what you pay. Although one of the yards says Make us an offer on their website!

Definitely haggle! Particularly in the current climate - if you're lucky you can get a lot of money knocked off the price (we did). The worst that can happen is they say no.

Haggle

Hard!

It's the only way

Why not just say your budget is in the region of £xxxx but that, for the right boat ..... Then you can look at boats you like even if they are 15+% over your budget because, as the others have advised, you are going to put in an offer well below if you decide a boat is for you. And it'll probably be accepted!

Is haggling normal? I visited a boatyard at the weekend, was asked what my budget was and then they wouldn't show me the boat I wanted to see because it was priced at £3,000 over.

I wonder which school for salesmen the bloke went to . Obviously he failed the exams.

"Look at a boat? How dare you? What do you think we're here for, to sell boats and make a living? Get thee hence!"

Any salesman worth his salt will try and interest you in something which is above your stated price range.

Thanks for all replies.I missed Out on Rose by 2 hours! Sold by the time I arrived. Now thinking about Kallista at New and Used boats. Any comments gratefully received! And they will come down on the price!

I'm very new to narrowboats and bought my one around 2 months ago now. Have you settled and viewed various sizes, as initially I thought 35-40ft was big enough until viewing and ended up buying a nicely fitted out 1999 50ft liverpool trad for £25,000.

I think the price is a little optimistic? No 240v landline, only 1 domestic battery, no charger, no inverter and the interior needs TLC. Is it actually all steel as the roof side gutter pieces seem like they could be wood.

If you do buy it haggle hard and get your own independant survey. Any info on why it was surveyed this year, sale fell through?

James :cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

Ok, thank you. I was disappointed on Sunday not to be shown the boat I went to see. They didn't have anything else really that caught my eye. Will see what happens today!

Unbelievable not to show you anyway! I viewed around 7 boats in a budget of up to £20,000. All were really tired and the ones that looked tidy on the net had sold or had flattering pictures.

Went and viewed another, exceptionally scruffy at 17k and the lady at the brokerage said view this one. Went and viewed it, walked through the door looked round and then sat down and thought this is the one, :cheers: Clean, tidy, no damp/mould, rust, clean engine bay etc and thought can I afford it as it was priced up at £29,950 and just reduced from £31,950. Read the previous survey from 5 years before, read fine. Put offer in at £25,000 subject to survey. Offer accepted and survey went well.

James.

Edited by canals are us?

I'm very new to narrowboats and bought my one around 2 months ago now. Have you settled and viewed various sizes, as initially I thought 35-40ft was big enough until viewing and ended up buying a nicely fitted out 1999 50ft liverpool trad for £25,000.

I think the price is a little optimistic? No 240v landline, only 1 domestic battery, no charger, no inverter and the interior needs TLC. Is it actually all steel as the roof side gutter pieces seem like they could be wood.

If you do buy it haggle hard and get your own independant survey. Any info on why it was surveyed this year, sale fell through?

James :cheers:

Apparently they had it surveyed at thr yard. They own it and surveyed it because its not normally in the price range that they sell. And the hull was as good as the day it was new. Apparently. He said they would consider dropping to 17k or just under

Yes I was pipped at the post! Was very disappointed but they were very helpful and I had a long chat there. Much more so than where I went on Sunday! Am now thinking maybe 70' is too large for a first boat and go for something like 45' for a couple of years until I get used to it!

• 1 month later...

I would have a look at Braunston Marina if poss as we bought our first boat off them in December.

We originally had a budget of between 25-30k and looked at lots of boats and lots of rubbish both private and from boat dealers. We didnt like some of the dealers as we felt they were just trying to sell us a boat but Braunston were very clued up about each boat.

We found one 58ft 2004 that was £34,950 that had just been reduced from £39,000. It was everything we wanted apart from the bedroom having two fixed bunks, which is probably what stopped a few others from buying it.

We offered £30,000 and it was ours. So haggle haggle haggle, we are in a recession at the end of the day.

I have changed the bunks into a nice double, which didnt even cost me in materials as i used all the wood that was there.It took me a day and is now the perfect boat for us.

Good luck