Books on board

Jackster

Featured Posts

<snip>

ed - it seems as though many of the 'Rough Guides' are priced similarly which is a bit cheeky considering the production costs for an electronic version will be virtually nil compared to the paper version.... unless somebody knows otherwise.

It could be something to with the royalty payments that the author is entitled to receive and the profit margins of the publishers. If everyone bought the e-reader version at a low price, it wouldn't be worth writing or publishing the book in the first place!

I was a late convert to the kindle but once I started to use it I forgot it wasn't a real book and kept trying to turn the page, it isn't the backlit type so no glare and the print looks like a printed page. I would recommend it to anyone who reads regularly and even when you delete an ebook from the kindle it is still available to reload of you want to read it again. Perfect for novels.

Sorry if this is garbled, I've had the best part of a bottle of red :-)

I was given a Kindle Paperwhite at Christmas. I love it, I don't think that I'm not reading a book - and it always remembers where I've got to.

I bought a load of books in the '12 days of Kindle' over the Christmas break where hundreds of books were discounted - some down to as little as 89p, there is also a 'daily deal' - although these are mostly fiction (not my main interest). There is also a 'deal of the month' where a hundred books are below £2.99 - most a lot less.

As I'm someone who tends to look for an 'interesting' book, rather than a specific title this works well for me, I downloaded lots, and I'm now working my way through them. I've got: history, science, philosophy, exercise, music theory, maths, computer science, language - I just pick something else interesting as I finish one off.

There are a lot of classic books for free, too.

One reason that Kindle books MAY be more expensive is that they are subject to VAT, unlike paper books. I don't know why.

Cath

One reason that Kindle books MAY be more expensive is that they are subject to VAT, unlike paper books. I don't know why.

Cath

In law, a Kindle "book" isn't a book at all, it's a data file and doesn't qualify for the zero rating. We're avid Kindle users; lots more free books at Mobile Read Forum and Gutenberg.

Be aware, though, that you don't actually buy the ebook, just a licence to store and read it on your device. When you die, or if you cancel your Amazon account, they'll all disappear...

In law, a Kindle "book" isn't a book at all, it's a data file and doesn't qualify for the zero rating. We're avid Kindle users; lots more free books at Mobile Read Forum and Gutenberg.

Be aware, though, that you don't actually buy the ebook, just a licence to store and read it on your device. When you die, or if you cancel your Amazon account, they'll all disappear...

They all stay on your device when you die though....(Amazon won't know you've curl up your toes!) and as far as I know even if you cancel your account or transfer your Kindle to somebody else the ones already bought remain on the device.

What you lose is the record of what you have bought so if you delete anything either by accident or deliberately (to save space) you can't then re-download which you can do if the Kindle is still linked to the original Amazon account.

then the person who now has your Kindle would need to 'buy' that same 'book' again.

(This is my understanding after I looked into it following Jan seizing mine on a permanent 'loan' basis)

Interesting about the VAT.

They all stay on your device when you die though....(Amazon won't know you've curl up your toes!) and as far as I know even if you cancel your account or transfer your Kindle to somebody else the ones already bought remain on the device.

What you lose is the record of what you have bought so if you delete anything either by accident or deliberately (to save space) you can't then re-download which you can do if the Kindle is still linked to the original Amazon account.

then the person who now has your Kindle would need to 'buy' that same 'book' again.

(This is my understanding after I looked into it following Jan seizing mine on a permanent 'loan' basis)

Interesting about the VAT.

I thought that, if your Amazon account ceases to be (as it would eventually when you've done likewise, surely) then the next time the Kindle tries to sync with the Whispernet server, it'll delete all the purchased books?

Same thing happens if you claim a refund on a book you buy then decide it's the wrong one within the time allowed for a return.

I thought that, if your Amazon account ceases to be (as it would eventually when you've done likewise, surely) then the next time the Kindle tries to sync with the Whispernet server, it'll delete all the purchased books?

Same thing happens if you claim a refund on a book you buy then decide it's the wrong one within the time allowed for a return.

My understanding was that what you would need to do is de-register one from an Amazon account and then register it to another. Doing so would retain access to content already bought unless you delete it -

That said I can't find the information to support this now but rather information that you lose access to all material so I think you are right and I am wrong.

ed now that said the info. here would seem to indicate you do have to manually delete books and they remain there until you do -

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%20deals?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx11TC0RX14K3FD&cdThread=Tx108P289WE4VLS

same her -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle/Tx3UYLE78DJHFJX

:unsure:

Edited by The Dog House

I was given a Kindle Paperwhite at Christmas. I love it, I don't think that I'm not reading a book - and it always remembers where I've got to.

I bought a load of books in the '12 days of Kindle' over the Christmas break where hundreds of books were discounted - some down to as little as 89p, there is also a 'daily deal' - although these are mostly fiction (not my main interest). There is also a 'deal of the month' where a hundred books are below £2.99 - most a lot less.

As I'm someone who tends to look for an 'interesting' book, rather than a specific title this works well for me, I downloaded lots, and I'm now working my way through them. I've got: history, science, philosophy, exercise, music theory, maths, computer science, language - I just pick something else interesting as I finish one off.

There are a lot of classic books for free, too.

Cath

I registered with eReaderIQ.co.uk - I receive a daily email with a list of all the free ebooks on Amazon that day from the genres I have choosen. As they are free I download anything that looks interesting & if after reading a few paragraphs & decide it's rubbish I simply delete it, I have discovered quite a few new authors, read some cracking books & currently have 60 or so books in my unread list. rolleyes.gif

I read somewhere that some authors put their books on the free list for a day in order to promote them especially if they are relatively unknown, works for me.

I still prefer a proper book any day of the week.

Just like I prefer to use a lappy for posting on the forum so I don't do lots of fat finger blunders :D

I dont read but my missus does quite a lot. I offered to buy her one of those plastic lit up kindle jobbies but she is not in the least bit interested. She has looked at various ones that friends have and there is no way she says that a real book with its smell and feel can be replaced with plastic items. We have a few books onboard but she buys from charity shops then reads them and gives em away to other boaters and charity shops. Somethings it seems cannot be replaced by modern day plastic and batteries.

Tim

You will find living on a boat changes your attitude to lots of favourite things - our books where possible are now on e-readers (2 x Kindle) but can also be read on our 2 x Nexus 7 and the Laptop and PC - our DVDs went onto iPod eand the PCs, our photo albums onto digital storage (using a scanner) and so forth - just need a larger generator now for the electrical kit :)

As avid book lovers ...

Our attitude to books has completely changed since moving aboard. It's not condensation but space that's the issue ...

We've toyed with the idea of a Kindle but we do love a proper book and would rather the inconvenience of tripping over them every now and then so we're resisting ...

This has pretty much been our experience. We sold, gave away and donated to charity shops thousands of books before moving permanently on board. We had a number of wooden Ikea shelving units that I cut down to fit just under the gunwales. The shelves tilt a wee bit towards the walls, so the books sit firm and their weight holds the shelving firm (on a carpet) without having to attach them to the wall. Because there is a low-rising plank at the back of each shelf it leaves an air space behind them, but condensation doesn't seem to sit in there. I reckon the books act to some extent as good insulation.

They weigh quite a bit though (we have a lot of reference and art books), so we counterbalance them with those old coal-trader weights under the bow on the opposite side to tweak the boat's trim.

We buy novels a few at a time at charity shops and give them back to the next convenient charity shop we come across when finished (we CC). Its a zero-sum game. Kindle might be a good alternative to these, but not to the nicely illustrated art and reference books!

I've finally succumbed and have ordered a Nexus tablet after printing off another 40 page user manual whilst the OH was following a recipe on her Samsung Tab thingy propped up where a book used to sit.

I don't see the point of kindles and e-readers and I can't see myself reading a novel in anything other than paper form though I am currently listening to Peter Hamilton's novel in audio form, whilst doing textiley things, after downloading it for free using Amazon's audiobook freebie offer.

I've finally succumbed and have ordered a Nexus tablet after printing off another 40 page user manual whilst the OH was following a recipe on her Samsung Tab thingy propped up where a book used to sit.

I don't see the point of kindles and e-readers and I can't see myself reading a novel in anything other than paper form though I am currently listening to Peter Hamilton's novel in audio form, whilst doing textiley things, after downloading it for free using Amazon's audiobook freebie offer.

I love audio books, the beauty being they leave your hands free, and you can "read" without walking into walls and lamposts. Often listen to them while doing sort of tedious type work at work, makes it go much quicker as you get so involved in the story the time just flies.

If the Nazi's ever get back into power, just think of the man power they would use going around deleting books from Ereaders.

:)

Very little actually ' burn one get 5,000 free '

Boris belongs to an audio book library for partially sighted folks,I listen with him to any I like. Have to say that a stirring tale of life in nelsons navy complete with plenty of sea battles is not ideal listening when following a knitting pattern!

Books,I'm sure an e reader is fine for fiction but I have some lovely books that I would not be in a hurry to part with. Traditional Indian Textiles and Traditional Central Asian Textiles are two of these latter category as are a few canal books and some old engineering books that are lurking on the bookshelf behind me. This set of shelves is 6'6" high and 6'9" wide and is double banked in places so I think I have a problem!

• 1 month later...

My understanding was that what you would need to do is de-register one from an Amazon account and then register it to another. Doing so would retain access to content already bought unless you delete it -

That said I can't find the information to support this now but rather information that you lose access to all material so I think you are right and I am wrong.

ed now that said the info. here would seem to indicate you do have to manually delete books and they remain there until you do -

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%20deals?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx11TC0RX14K3FD&cdThread=Tx108P289WE4VLS

same her -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle/Tx3UYLE78DJHFJX

:unsure:

Apologies for bumping an old thread but I seem to have found the definitive answer to this should anybody ever be thinking about it in the future.

I have just de-registered by Kindle 3G from my Amazon/kindle account and Jan has registered it to hers.

The books I had bought or downloaded for free (and latterly she had using my account) have remained on the device and we have made a test purchase using her account and the new book has simply been added to what is now effectively her device.

If she deletes any of the books downloaded when it was 'my' Kindle she will not be able to recover it unless we temporarily de-register it from her account and temporarily re-register it back to mine.

I should emphasise that this is with one of the older 3G versions and not the newer versions (Paperwhite, Fire and Fire HD) where Amazon may have changed things.

Me and my fiancé are always buying books and can never throw any away!

We just keep finding new spaces to fit extra bookshelves. Admittedly the boat is starting to look like a walk through library!

One day the day will come when we will have to be ruthless and give some away.

Edited by Mark @ Gongoozled

I love audio books, the beauty being they leave your hands free, and you can "read" without walking into walls and lamposts. Often listen to them while doing sort of tedious type work at work, makes it go much quicker as you get so involved in the story the time just flies.

I tried to listen to these, unfortunately I had them on my phone, which I tucked into a jeans pocket. However, OH often couldn't see when I was listening (as I have longish hair) - so he tended to start conversations, and then get grumpy when I didn't know what he was talking about, or hadn't heard him. My son didn't want to listen to them when I was driving us into work, so I gave up.

Apologies for bumping an old thread but I seem to have found the definitive answer to this should anybody ever be thinking about it in the future.

I have just de-registered by Kindle 3G from my Amazon/kindle account and Jan has registered it to hers.

The books I had bought or downloaded for free (and latterly she had using my account) have remained on the device and we have made a test purchase using her account and the new book has simply been added to what is now effectively her device.

If she deletes any of the books downloaded when it was 'my' Kindle she will not be able to recover it unless we temporarily de-register it from her account and temporarily re-register it back to mine.

I should emphasise that this is with one of the older 3G versions and not the newer versions (Paperwhite, Fire and Fire HD) where Amazon may have changed things.

A work around would be to register two kindles to the same account. Then any docs or books are available to both and you can decide to archive ones you do not want on one.

A work around would be to register two kindles to the same account. Then any docs or books are available to both and you can decide to archive ones you do not want on one.

Cheers - that works of course if you are sharing an account with somebody you trust but sometimes people want to know what happens if you want to sell (or give away) your kindle to someone else who you may not trust with the books you have bought/downloaded still left on it.

(Though it should be noted of course that technically doing this is a breach of the Kindles' terms of use)