Development threat to Trent & Mersey

Flyboy

Featured Posts

I've just read the bad news that there are plans for development around Branston lock on the Trent & Mersey. The plan is that between Branston lock and the Bridge Inn there will be 2500 homes on the north side of the canal & 1 million square feet of industrial units on the south side between the canal and A38. This is a really nice stretch of canal with views of Battlestead ridge. It's going to be known as 'Branston Locks'. Apparently it's not officially 'greenbelt', maybe this should be changed pretty damn quick to halt the destruction of another 400 acres of greenfield heritage.

Another nail in the coffin for rural England.

More info on http://www.branstonlocks.co.uk

Edited by Flyboy

That is horrible and not needed.

After you come off the River section, Branston Lock is the one breath of air away from the A38 and other housing/industry until you get past Burton.

The view from that lock is probably little changed since it was built, it would be a crying shame to see this development when there are so many brownfield and inner town areas derelict or empty.

Am I alone, in finding the objection against industrial development along the canal ironic, when it took Acts of Parliament to dig the canals through unspoiled country side.

If the industrial units proposed meant they planned to use the T&M for commercial purposes then this argument would hold water (no pun intended) the ones currently near that section of the T&M merely 'turn their back' on the canal and face the A38 - I'm hardly hopeful others proposed nearby would do different.

Transporting stuff on the T&M would bring CRT income - building bland grey buildings near the canal will merely blight it...

You forgot to mention the extensive new Rugby club being built near the Bridge Inn on Tatenhill Lane as well.

"The new facilities will have a modern clubhouse, six full-sized pitches, four junior pitches and extensive training facilities."

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Rugby-club-move-blasted.htm

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Wheels-firmly-in-motion-on-rugby-club-relocation-04122012.htm

http://eaststaffsbc-consult.limehouse.co.uk/portal/core_strategy_strategic_options/corestrategyprepub?pointId=ID-1895767-FIGURE-20&do=view

"An imaginative scheme for this site could provide houses, open space and employment opportunities with little disruption to communities to the west of Burton. The canal corridor and the National Cycle Route could be enhanced by high quality planning of this large site. There is also the benefit of developing a link to the A38 / A5121 Branston interchange that would also cater for the proposed Rugby Club development when it goes ahead in the vicinity. "

These extra houses are needed for the ever expanding population and there will be more and more required unless the current population growth is reduced to a more sustainable level.

But who's going to vote for a political party who suggests that ?

These extra houses are needed for the ever expanding population and there will be more and more required unless the current population growth is reduced to a more sustainable level.

But who's going to vote for a political party who suggests that ?

It's not simply that the total population is increasing. Another major factor is that more people are living singly, or as single-parent families etc.

Tim

I,ve just read the bad news that there are plans for development around Branston lock on the Trent & Mersey. The plan is that between Branston lock and the Bridge Inn there will be 2500 homes on the north side of the canal & 1 million square feet of industrial units on the south side between the canal and A38. This is a really nice stretch of canal with views of Battlestead ridge. It's going to be known as 'Branston Locks'. Apparently it's not officially 'greenbelt', maybe this should be changed pretty damn quick to halt the destruction of another 400 acres of greenfield heritage.

Another nail in the coffin for rural England.

More info on http://www.branstonlocks.co.uk

Its not just here, on the Aylesbury Arm of the GU they already have permission for 1700 houses and widening of a canal bridge , and the closest house to the canal was marked out last month at less than 2metres from the canal bank.

This is about half a mile before the new basin marina just above the lock, at least the marina is residential and is being built for the basin moorers who. Are being moved out, Lucky the club had a huge long lease so they are getting built what they want .

Old git

I thought the process was now neighbourhood plans.... influenced by the local residents. They should have the decision making influence between brownfield sites and green wedge. It might be this has been the case in BOT. I cruise this route a bit and agree it would be a real sad day to loose the green space, especially if there are brownfierld sites within BOT that could be developed first. I guess it is down to the residents via the politicians as to what they get ?

I fear the worst however.....

Nev

I rate the T&M from Willington to Wychnor as one of my least favorite lenghts of canal anywhere. It's a transit route to better things. Let them build here and perhaps the stretches I do like will be saved from the developers.... :closedeyes:

That is a fair point and given it's proximity to the A38 makes it quite noisy in sections too too - I think my objection stems from the particular area under threat - it's a bit of an oasis on that section (Between the Bridge Inn and Branston Lock) from a lot of the other less pleasant bits.

Not my pic. but it gives an idea.

Branston_Lock,_Trent_and_Mersey_Canal,_Staffordshire_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1658283.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Hi

I was born in Burton and still live on the edges of the town. I can honestly say that I have seen a massive demise in what used to be a nice and interesting town- I now live here because it is convenient for work. There are many brownfield areas within Burton (as so many factories have been bulldozed) that would benefit from major rejuvenation and would benefit many- If you know Derby Road, between Eton road and derby turn, you'll know what I mean. We have had so many new housing estates built since I was young and each time there appears to be a further stretch on resources such as schools and doctors etc. It seems now, that to get planning approval you have to provide (pay for) a number of school places- Does anyone know if this works and the schools do benefit- or is it just absorbed into council funds.

That is a fair point and given it's proximity to the A38 makes it quite noisy in sections too too - I think my objection stems from the particular area under threat - it's a bit of an oasis on that section (Between the Bridge Inn and Branston Lock) from a lot of the other less pleasant bits.

Not my pic. but it gives an idea.

Branston_Lock,_Trent_and_Mersey_Canal,_Staffordshire_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1658283.jpg

I have done this run quite a few times from Fradley.... it is one of our options. I have to agree leaving the river section going towards Willington I don't enjoy the A38 much at all. But it is not long intrusion and as soon as you leave it at Barton Turns it is quite idyllic, into Burton as well as I find the locals friendly as they seem to use the canal to its fullest.

I recall Neil having to overnight by the A38 when bringing Chertsey up to Stretton to miss the stoppages last year, maybe that has coloured his impression? I don't think we should ever give the developers the green light to destroy one area of green just because it's slightly less nice than other areas. The number of brownfield sites as JP117 suggests are abundant and should be the first target. Truth is developers hold the government to ransom not building unless there is sale-able houses.....for big profit. I think it is time the government built houses again - remember council houses, built for those who could not afford to buy. Are we not there again and regardless if it is developers or councils doing the building there will still be houses for people who want them and jobs for people to build them. The finances would be no different to student loans, money up front from the government and paid back over a long period. It's not like quantitative easing is stopping the flow of money, just need directing better? Sorry if this is a bit of a rant.

I still think the area should be left alone for me to boat thru and cycle through to get to my boat.

Nev NB percy

From the Heritage impact statement (by AOC Archaeology Group):

3.3.7 The Trent and Mersey Canal Conservation Area runs through the east of the site following, and

limited to, the route of the canal and its associated towpath. The visual sensitivity of the canal’s

Conservation Area is considered to be Low. The placement of the canal was due to topographic and

economic reasons and whist its setting contributes to (or detracts from) the aesthetic appreciation of

the canal, it does not impact the understanding of the canal or its Conservation Area.

Which means precisely nothing (and is not helped by not being written in English either).

Presently studying this so will have to comment later to see how far it encroaches on the canal area

It encroaches right up to both sides of the canal and right up to Branston lock -

This is the area now -

From Google Earth -

TreantandMersey_1_zps0a71f0d2.jpg

The plans -

TreantandMersey_3_zps5b529152.jpg

From Google street view (T&M running to the right Branston lock is top right) -

TreantandMersey_2_zpse27b6461.jpg

I'm not convinced this is an 'improvement' at all nor that there are other places along the T&M better suited to such a development.

I love that particular stretch. Been through it on countless occasions in all weathers. Waiting for the lock to fill/empty and watching the birds on the fields is a delight. I am truly dismayed by the plans. What IS the point ... why not - as others have said - revamp brownfield areas. It's really sad

I love that particular stretch. Been through it on countless occasions in all weathers. Waiting for the lock to fill/empty and watching the birds on the fields is a delight. I am truly dismayed by the plans. What IS the point ... why not - as others have said - revamp brownfield areas. It's really sad

Annoyingly the consultation period ended on 21st of last month.

One time we passed through there was a 'huge' number of swans in that field. I'd never seen so many in one place before.

Edited by The Dog House

I recall Neil having to overnight by the A38 when bringing Chertsey up to Stretton to miss the stoppages last year, maybe that has coloured his impression?

I've spent many a night in trunk road laybys in my lorry. In fact, just last night I was awoken at 2AM by two Norfolk Line rigs parking up just inches from my bumper. IIRC the beer that evening was amongst the best of the trip, so more than outweighed any road disturbance...

It may sometimes seem like developing brown field sites is the obvious answer but depending on the sites allocation and the local councils policies it isn't always as straight forward as that. The brownfield sites in the locality may not be designated for housing purposes and changing the allocation isn't always a straight forward process.

• 3 weeks later...